Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
  1.    06 Jun 2015 #141
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,587
    Windows 10 IoT

    I'll do the upgrade on several of my PC's, maybe even all of them. Just to see how it goes and if I hit any issues. Then I can say I actually did it when somebody needs help instead of having to say I've read that.....

    The simplest and easiest way for Microsoft to do this is to verify that's its a qualifying OS and that it's legally activated. Then give out the appropriate key during the upgrade, Home or Pro. Put the key on screen with a Print this or write this key down message. Along with a to be used when reinstalling this version or Windows 10 on this PC etc. Then when your all upgraded put a link/icon in the notifications area to the ISO download. Done deal. No messing with old keys etc. That's just going to aggravate people and kill some of the upgrades. If people have to jump through to many hoops they just won't do it. Especially if they make them read a key off of a COA sticker. A lot of those will be worn and unreadable. If they want as many people as possible to take them up on this offer they have "keep it simple stupid".
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    06 Jun 2015 #142
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,861
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I'll do the upgrade on several of my PC's, maybe even all of them. Just to see how it goes and if I hit any issues. Then I can say I actually did it when somebody needs help instead of having to say I've read that.....

    The simplest and easiest way for Microsoft to do this is to verify that's its a qualifying OS and that it's legally activated. Then give out the appropriate key during the upgrade, Home or Pro. Put the key on screen with a Print this or write this key down message. Along with a to be used when reinstalling this version or Windows 10 on this PC etc. Then when your all upgraded put a link/icon in the notifications area to the ISO download. Done deal. No messing with old keys etc. That's just going to aggravate people and kill some of the upgrades. If people have to jump through to many hoops they just won't do it. Especially if they make them read a key off of a COA sticker. A lot of those will be worn and unreadable. If they want as many people as possible to take them up on this offer they have "keep it simple stupid".
    Have you offered this in feedback, Alpha? Maybe we should all copy and paste it, then send it off as feedback!

    The only flaw I see is:

    Then when your all upgraded put a link/icon in the notifications area to the ISO download.
    Because there is a "clear all" button in Notifications, it could be cleared. Possibly a link in the taskbar like GWX? GISO?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    06 Jun 2015 #143
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,587
    Windows 10 IoT

    Yes I was thinking something like the GWX Icon. You could even make that the temporary home page in IE, or put a link to the download in the favorites. Lots of ways to do it. It could even be incorporated into the OOBE on first boot up after the upgrade. OOBE is Out Of the Box Experience. what you see the first time you boot up a new PC for the first time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    06 Jun 2015 #144
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Idaho USA
    Posts : 4,826
    OS X, Win 10

    What's a GWX icon. . .Please remember I posted as having another stroke (Baby) so some things just go over my head now. . .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    06 Jun 2015 #145
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,861
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    What's a GWX icon. . .Please remember I posted as having another stroke (Baby) so some things just go over my head now. . .
    Here ya go . . .

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Logo Snip.PNG 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.7 KB 
ID:	20855

    It will be in the right lower corner of your Windows 7 or 8.1 computer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    06 Jun 2015 #146
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 115
    Windows 10 Clean Install

    On my computer it is on the other right side.
    Last edited by richc46; 06 Jun 2015 at 11:54.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    06 Jun 2015 #147
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,587
    Windows 10 IoT
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    06 Jun 2015 #148
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 18,002
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    In the system tray.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  9.    06 Jun 2015 #149
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,861
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by richc46 View Post
    On my computer it is on the other right side.
    Oops! <blush> It is.

    Edit: Rich, what ya wanna 'fuse a gal fer!? I thunk I'd said da left side!

    Seriously, those icons are confusing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    06 Jun 2015 #150
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Posts : 115
    Windows 10 Clean Install

    No blush necessary. You are teaching us all. Just wanted your valuable information to be understood
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Will Free Windows 10 "Upgrade" work with Clean Install (CMPXCHG16b)?
I have a 2006-era Compaq PC with an AMD 64 X2 4400+ CPU (Socket 939), and it runs Windows 7 Home Premium x64 perfectly. It can even run Windows 8 x64. However, it cannot do the in-place Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 Technical Preview 64-bit...
Installation and Upgrade
Microsoft lowers app installs from 81 to 10 devices with Windows 10
Read more: Microsoft lowers app installs from 81 to 10 with Windows 10
Windows 10 News
Office OneDrive delivers unlimited cloud storage to Office 365
Source...
Windows 10 News
Solved Windows Update Nvidia driver installs unusable.
I have a Quadro K1000M video chip set, WU in 9926 does not install a working driver. The only way to install a working driver is by going to Nvidia and downloading the driver and install from the file. This has happened twice with two versions.
Drivers and Hardware
Windows 9 Will Support Unlimited Activations on Same Hardw
More
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums