Windows 10: Windows 10 Release Date July 29

Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast

  1. Posts : 3,357
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc
       31 Jul 2015 #371

    Wynona said: View Post
    Thing is, Night Hawk, anyone running more than one hard drive, knows where to find the $Windows~BT folder should actually be "tech-savvy" enough to run the Media Creation tool, dontcha think? I mean, really . . .

    Funny you should say it, but it took me awhile to figure out where the $Windows~BT folder is because I had forgotten to write down where it was when I first learned of its existence. Takes a very Tech-Savvy person to learn how to write things down that they've learned, methinks.
    Well first off if you are not already running with the hidden files and folders in view as I have been doing here all along since XP days I could add you could easily miss the two temp folders that showed when first having went to download 10 but only found links for the MC tool. This is how most are starting off if not having already found 10 in the updates ready to go on which seems to be how 10 is supposed to work from the start.

    Well if you can only install by way of updates why the tool in both 32/64bit flavors then except to custom install if not upgrade after the first initial upgrade takes place? The first attempts were to manually run the dvd and usb flash drive methods to see the initial upgrade take place which has failed miserably each time! OOPS! That reserved copy is delivered not by the MC but MS Updates! daaaaaa..... I'll get there some time for sure! Got to have some fun in the meantime however!

    For those of you who already have 10 on you will want to stop by the Clean Install guide however to take notes on things there! That can save a few possible headaches later if you either plan or find you need to see a clean install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    31 Jul 2015 #372

    Wynona said: View Post
    I completely agree, Alpha. However, I don't see the danger in the Media Creation Tool's first option: Upgrade this PC. When I used it, it was almost exactly the same as other upgrades and installations I've done.
    Isn't that what I said?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    31 Jul 2015 #373

    Wynona said: View Post
    I completely agree, Alpha. However, I don't see the danger in the Media Creation Tool's first option: Upgrade this PC. When I used it, it was almost exactly the same as other upgrades and installations I've done.
    I used the media creation tool yesterday with the upgrade this pc now option and everything went great, couldn't be better, all my apps including MS Office and others worked fine, everything was duplicated just as I had it in 7 here in the new 10 upgrade. I'd recommend this tool to anyone who doesn't feel like waiting for the updates to come thru and so on. Got mine going here in just 2 hours... All is well.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       31 Jul 2015 #374

    Just for info, I already used the media creation tools to do a clean install.

    Here is how I did it.
    Download the Media Creation 64 bit tool
    Created just the 32 bit install of windows 10. I choose install on another computer.
    Created another 64 bit install of windows 10. I choose install on another computer.

    I let windows 10 upgrade using gwx. Activated. Then did a clean install using the 32 bit version.
    I wanted to tested out software before activating the 32 bit version, so I keep it disconnected. After skipping entering the key 3 times it finally booted up. I installed the software and it work. So, I connected the windows 10 computer to the internet, it was activated automatically and it permanently activated.

    I also read the dvd player that some have bought isn't working.

    My other concern is the privacy issue. Does Microsoft monitor websites you visit or keep log-in info for sites like banking, Shopping. I am not talking about apps or programs purchased through Microsoft. I disable most of the stuff in the Privacy section. I am testing out cortana. I use Firefox for logging into banking sites.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    31 Jul 2015 #375

    groze said: View Post
    Just for info, I already used the media creation tools to do a clean install.

    Here is how I did it.
    Download the Media Creation 64 bit tool
    Created just the 32 bit install of windows 10. I choose install on another computer.
    Created another 64 bit install of windows 10. I choose install on another computer.

    I let windows 10 upgrade using gwx. Activated. Then did a clean install using the 32 bit version.
    I wanted to tested out software before activating the 32 bit version, so I keep it disconnected. After skipping entering the key 3 times it finally booted up. I installed the software and it work. So, I connected the windows 10 computer to the internet, it was activated automatically and it permanently activated.

    I also read the dvd player that some have bought isn't working.

    My other concern is the privacy issue. Does Microsoft monitor websites you visit or keep log-in info for sites like banking, Shopping. I am not talking about apps or programs purchased through Microsoft. I disable most of the stuff in the Privacy section. I am testing out cortana. I use Firefox for logging into banking sites.
    Log on info for web sites can be synced across devices. I do it. I don't lose any sleep over doing it either.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 14,391
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       31 Jul 2015 #376

    Night Hawk said: View Post
    Well first off if you are not already running with the hidden files and folders in view as I have been doing here all along since XP days I could add you could easily miss the two temp folders that showed when first having went to download 10 but only found links for the MC tool. This is how most are starting off if not having already found 10 in the updates ready to go on which seems to be how 10 is supposed to work from the start.
    I've been running with hidden files and folders exposed for so long that now Windows installs with them unhidden. Seriously, even when I have clean installed Windows 10 builds, hidden files/folders are exposed. That's how well Microsoft has "learned" my habits. I know they're trying to keep me safe, but it still skeers me!

    The only reason I had for knowing where those folders are is that I have learned to create an ISO from Install.esd and forgot to write down the location the first time I copied it.

    Night Hawk said: View Post
    Well if you can only install by way of updates why the tool in both 32/64bit flavors then except to custom install if not upgrade after the first initial upgrade takes place? The first attempts were to manually run the dvd and usb flash drive methods to see the initial upgrade take place which has failed miserably each time! OOPS! That reserved copy is delivered not by the MC but MS Updates! daaaaaa..... I'll get there some time for sure! Got to have some fun in the meantime however!
    Actually, I don't think I've ever said you can only install by way of updates . . . I generally do clean installs, but have to install the updates first in order to get Install.esd for the clean installs if the ISO isn't available from Microsoft. However, having said that, the two upgrades on my laptops were almost identical to the way "Upgrade This PC" upgraded my desktop.

    Night Hawk said: View Post
    For those of you who already have 10 on you will want to stop by the Clean Install guide however to take notes on things there! That can save a few possible headaches later if you either plan or find you need to see a clean install.
    I agree! If one has never installed an OS, it would be good to go here to get instructions:

    BTW, on my computer that has been upgraded from Windows 8.1, the Install.esd file has been moved and can now be found at $Windows.~WS\Sources\installx64.esd. Yes, it seems that the name has also been changed.

    1. ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File - Windows 10 Forums
    2. USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    3. Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

    These three sets of instructions will show how to create an ISO from Install.esd, create a bootable flash drive (using the ISO created from Install.esd) for installing Windows 10 and finally, how to clean install Windows 10.

    Disclaimer I now have to make . . . I haven't tried installx64.esd out, but it should work. I wonder also if this installx64.esd will be tied to this particular computer. Sigh . . . more testing to be done now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 14,391
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       31 Jul 2015 #377

    Originally Posted by Wynona

    I completely agree, Alpha. However, I don't see the danger in the Media Creation Tool's first option: Upgrade this PC. When I used it, it was almost exactly the same as other upgrades and installations I've done.


    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Isn't that what I said?
    Nah, I just thought it needed to be said that there really doesn't seem to be any danger in the Media Creation tool to upgrade a PC.

    And now I'm digging myself in deeper and deeper! I thought you said, Is that what I said! Sheesh!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    31 Jul 2015 #378

    Wynona said: View Post
    Nah, I just thought it needed to be said that there really doesn't seem to be any danger in the Media Creation tool to upgrade a PC.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    31 Jul 2015 #379

    COMPUTIAC said: View Post
    This email you are quoting from, is it an insider email from Gabe ?
    The email comes as subject line "You’ve reserved Windows 10 – what’s next?"
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    31 Jul 2015 #380

    There is an option, when you reserve your free upgrade, via the GWX App, to enter an e-mail address and get an e-mail notification when your free upgrade is ready to go. I declined to do that. it's not mandatory. You could easily miss that option.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 LastLast

Related Threads
A screen shot from: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=windows%2010&Submit=ENE20300
Windows 10 Release Date in General Support
Does anyone here believe that Windows 10 will be very likely to come out in June 2015 or is that wishful thinking? I want it now so badly but I would hate to have to wait until September or even July or August. Microsoft needs to speed things...
Read more at: http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/operating-systems/windows-9-release-date-news-and-rumours-1029245
Read more - http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/windows-8-2-release-date-news-and-rumors-1191563
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:38.
Find Us