Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1.    13 Jun 2015 #51
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 729
    win 7 dual boot / 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Arfer Daley View Post
    slightly of topic am I correct in thinking you will loose the right too keep using w7 i.e. you have too give up your reg key as it is transferred onto w10 upgrade and too keep using w7 purchase of a new key will be required
    I think MS intends for you to not use Windows 7 and to move on to 10. However I am not sure if you will be able to use 7 after the upgrade process.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    13 Jun 2015 #52
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,499
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Trust_No1 View Post
    Who is talking about the Insider Program, I am talking about the RC.
    RC not out yet.. good luck with that part.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    13 Jun 2015 #53
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,499
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    I think MS intends for you to not use Windows 7 and to move on to 10. However I am not sure if you will be able to use 7 after the upgrade process.
    I would think that MS would let you go back to your previous OS if either you don't like or the upgrade to Win10 didn't work. Well, I would hope they would.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    14 Jun 2015 #54
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    England
    Posts : 943
    Windows IP 17017

    I will keep windows 7 in one of my laptops as Movie maker is not working in either win 8.1 or win 10TP.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    14 Jun 2015 #55
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Central Florida
    Posts : 340
    Win 7 Pro/32, Win 10 Pro/64/32

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    I would think that MS would let you go back to your previous OS if either you don't like or the upgrade to Win10 didn't work. Well, I would hope they would.
    I don't understand, this talk about what Microsoft will LET you do. ???

    You can do anything you want! Just back up your Windows 7 and if you don't like Windows 10, just restore your backup of Windows 7 and Windows 10 is GONE and forgotten. Microsoft can't make you do anything you don't want them to do. Period.

    I back up my Windows 8.1 every week anyway, and I'll do another backup of my entire C: drive, before I ever allow Windows 10 upgrade to install. I'll never allow myself to be put in a position where Microsoft dictates to me what OS I'll run, etc.

    Happy Father's day, y'all!

      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    14 Jun 2015 #56
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,499
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoMage View Post
    I don't understand, this talk about what Microsoft will LET you do. ???

    You can do anything you want! Just back up your Windows 7 and if you don't like Windows 10, just restore your backup of Windows 7 and Windows 10 is GONE and forgotten. Microsoft can't make you do anything you don't want them to do. Period.

    I back up my Windows 8.1 every week anyway, and I'll do another backup of my entire C: drive, before I ever allow Windows 10 upgrade to install. I'll never allow myself to be put in a position where Microsoft dictates to me what OS I'll run, etc.

    Happy Father's day, y'all!

    @TechnoMage
    I didn't mean or want to get into an argument with you .. ok?? If you don't like the term I used well.. fine. My .. some just want to start an argument over nothing.. do you??
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    14 Jun 2015 #57
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Central Florida
    Posts : 340
    Win 7 Pro/32, Win 10 Pro/64/32

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    @TechnoMage
    I didn't mean or want to get into an argument with you .. ok??
    Likewise here! No argument intended. But I'm just confused, why so often people will seem to be of the opinion that Microsoft rules the roost, so to speak. You, I and all of us, are actually the Commander of our own ships, King and Queens in our own castles, etc. etc, etc. And, definitely in full control of our own computers.
    I've been the ONLY one in charge of my computer, for 35 years now, and it will remain that way.

    There are readers of these forums, that never post, so we don't see them, but they are HERE. and can be easily confused by posts that say that Microsoft is in charge of our computers and we can do nothing about it. That's just NOT TRUE!
    WE are in charge of our computers, NOT Microsoft.

    Nuff said on that.....

      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    15 Jun 2015 #58
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Idaho USA
    Posts : 4,826
    OS X, Win 10

    Darn I cannot believe what I am about to say. . .I agree with Techno. . .Microsoft has no control over your system if you don't like Win 10 then just do a clean reinstall of your previous OS. . .problem solved. . .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    15 Jun 2015 #59
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Inverness
    Posts : 1,126
    Win 10

    I don't have to worry about Win 7. I'm not upgrading it as I need it for one application that will not work on Win 8/8.1/10 (it is a driver issue and even installing in compatibility mode it won't work). But, as I have a dual boot system with Win 8.1 (on my main recording studio system) I'll upgrade the 8.1 installation. My backup system is basically the same as the primary except it has Win 10 Preview on a separate hard drive and it too will get the Win 8.1 upgraded.

    But, as noted, all you have to do is image the hard drive (all partitions) before upgrading. If you don't like it, just restore the disc image and you are back to where you were before the Win 10 upgrade (and you will have the Win 10 product key if you change your mine later on).
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    15 Jun 2015 #60
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 16,954
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by fireberd View Post
    I don't have to worry about Win 7. I'm not upgrading it as I need it for one application that will not work on Win 8/8.1/10 (it is a driver issue and even installing in compatibility mode it won't work). But, as I have a dual boot system with Win 8.1 (on my main recording studio system) I'll upgrade the 8.1 installation. My backup system is basically the same as the primary except it has Win 10 Preview on a separate hard drive and it too will get the Win 8.1 upgraded.

    But, as noted, all you have to do is image the hard drive (all partitions) before upgrading. If you don't like it, just restore the disc image and you are back to where you were before the Win 10 upgrade (and you will have the Win 10 product key if you change your mine later on).
    I even went so far on my 8.1 machine and imaged not only my OS drive(a SSD), I also image my 2nd internal(2 TB HDD) that has 2 partitions, 1st backups(File History & Various Macrium System Images), 2nd my Libraries. Yes I imaged my images. That way if I have any problems, I have a complete "System" image not just C: drive.

    It took 7 hours, where as just my SSD only takes 4 minutes.(I can imagine how long reimaging would take, I really hope I don't need it). I just keep this image about a year and if all is well, I can create one for 10.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
List Compelling Reasons to upgrade to Upgrade to Windows 10 for Novice
I feel that we as experts on this forum should try and persuade any novices who are not sure about upgrading to Windows 10 should help explain why its good for them to upgrade from earlier versions. So I'll start off: • Latest security •...
General Support
Solved Will I lose my data, settings, and programs if I upgrade to Windows 10
I am planning on reserving Windows 10 on my Windows 8.1 computer and I wanted to know if I will lose everything.
Installation and Upgrade
Microsoft explains what you’ll lose by upgrading to Windows 10
Read More: Microsoft explains what you’ll lose by upgrading to Windows 10 | The Verge
Windows 10 News
Solid-state drives lose data if left without power for just a few days
Source
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums