Hmmmm! I'm not sure I really want to give up my Windows 8.1 for Windows 10, so before I install 10, I'll clone my main HD to another similar drive, so I preserve my 8.1, just in case I don't really like Windows 10.
I'll have basically a Dual Boot system, with 8.1 on one HD and Win-10 on another.
Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
I followed the steps in the 2nd post here and it enabled the notification:
I want to reserve my free copy of Windows 10, but I dont see - Microsoft Community
- Open Notepad
- Copy the following text and paste it into Notepad:
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Appraiser" /v UtcOnetimeSend /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"
schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" | findstr Ready >nul
if NOT "%errorlevel%" == "0" ping localhost >nul &goto :CompatCheckRunning
schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfig"
- Click File, and then Save As
- In the File name box, change the file name to ReserveWin10.cmd
- Then click the dropdown next to Save as type, and select All files (*.*)
- Select the folder you would like to save the file to. For this example, letís choose to save the file to the C:/Temp folder. Then click Save.
- Open an elevated command prompt. (From the Start screen or Start menu, type Command Prompt in the search box, and then in the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as administrator.)
- Finally, run the file from the location you saved to in Step 6. In this example, you would type the following in the Command Prompt window and hit Enter:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\WINDOWS\system32>reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\A
ppCompatFlags\Appraiser" /v UtcOnetimeSend /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
The operation completed successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32>schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience
\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"
INFO: scheduled task "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compat
ibility Appraiser" is currently running.
SUCCESS: Attempted to run the scheduled task "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Exp
erience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser".
C:\WINDOWS\system32>schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experien
ce\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" | findstr Ready 1>nul
C:\WINDOWS\system32>if NOT "1" == "1" ping localhost 1>nul & goto :CompatChec
C:\WINDOWS\system32>schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxco
ERROR: The system cannot find the path specified.
So what about the people running 10 TP, are they not worthy of being able to reserve their copy, that they have to roll back to avoid downloading it on day 1.