Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Jan 2015
    Posts : 598
    Windows 10 and windows 8.1
       29 Sep 2016 #51

    Downloaded on laptop. Install failed. Reloaded download. Second attempt failed, also. Someone said NVidia driver was a problem. Wonder if that is the problem with this attempted /aborted upgrade. This has never been a problem and this device usually updates before my desktop WITHOUT A FLAW. Will now attempt to do clean install.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Apr 2014
    Posts : 599
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (14971)
       29 Sep 2016 #52

    magilla said: View Post
    Downloaded on laptop. Install failed. Reloaded download. Second attempt failed, also. Someone said NVidia driver was a problem. Wonder if that is the problem with this attempted /aborted upgrade. This has never been a problem and this device usually updates before my desktop WITHOUT A FLAW. Will now attempt to do clean install.
    This has happened to me on a couple of builds along the way. Restart after the download, some stuff happens, it gives some error message I can't recall, reboots, and immediately starts downloading the whole thing from scratch. Sometimes, the second go-round works fine, sometimes not.

    So.. the first thing I do, after the download and before pulling the trigger on the restart, is copy install.esd to another partition. If the install fails, I just make an iso, mount it, and launch setup.exe. I have a slowish Internet connection, and I can't be waiting for another download.

    Incidentally, the update to 14931 worked just fine. I'm just about to start the update to 14936 - we'll see how it goes!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Jan 2015
    Posts : 598
    Windows 10 and windows 8.1
       29 Sep 2016 #53

    sgage said: View Post
    This has happened to me on a couple of builds along the way. Restart after the download, some stuff happens, it gives some error message I can't recall, reboots, and immediately starts downloading the whole thing from scratch. Sometimes, the second go-round works fine, sometimes not.

    So.. the first thing I do, after the download and before pulling the trigger on the restart, is copy install.esd to another partition. If the install fails, I just make an iso, mount it, and launch setup.exe. I have a slowish Internet connection, and I can't be waiting for another download.

    Incidentally, the update to 14931 worked just fine. I'm just about to start the update to 14936 - we'll see how it goes!
    Good Luck with 14936! I am now installing from iso on my laptop.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jan 2015
    Posts : 598
    Windows 10 and windows 8.1
       29 Sep 2016 #54

    magilla said: View Post
    Good Luck with 14936! I am now installing from iso on my laptop.
    Install from ISO also failed. Guess I won't be getting this build on the laptop. Have been successfully installing every build since January of 2015. Never had problems before on laptop.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Apr 2014
    Posts : 599
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (14971)
       29 Sep 2016 #55

    magilla said: View Post
    Good Luck with 14936! I am now installing from iso on my laptop.
    Well, this time it worked as designed. Seems an awful lot like 14931, oddly enough Sorry your iso install didn't work. So many different hardware permutations out there - it's a wonder things work as well as they do...
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jan 2015
    Posts : 598
    Windows 10 and windows 8.1
       29 Sep 2016 #56

    sgage said: View Post
    Well, this time it worked as designed. Seems an awful lot like 14931, oddly enough Sorry your iso install didn't work. So many different hardware permutations out there - it's a wonder things work as well as they do...
    Happy for your success. I have removed nvidia driver and nvidia update program and am trying installing again. Windows seems to like to download video drivers and it is queuing nvidia and 14936 so we'll see what happens.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 710
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Build 15014
       29 Sep 2016 #57

    It's now unable to map the network's drives, but previous mapped drives remain working unchanged. Network computers are all disappeared except Media Devices and Infrustructures. Set all to private won't work for me.

    Edit: It's unclear if this is a permanent change from MS or not!

    Edit 2: You can still manually enter drive IDs to connect though!
    Last edited by jyusa; 30 Sep 2016 at 00:12.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jan 2015
    Posts : 598
    Windows 10 and windows 8.1
       30 Sep 2016 #58

    After multiple attempts including clean install, I have given up with install of 14936 build. It installed on my desktop but not laptop. All other builds since January 2015 have installed without problems. Will wait for next build and try again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,575
    Windows 10 Pro
       30 Sep 2016 #59

    jyusa said: View Post
    It's now unable to map the network's drives, but previous mapped drives remain working unchanged. Network computers are all disappeared except Media Devices and Infrustructures. Set all to private won't work for me.

    Edit: It's unclear if this is a permanent change from MS or not!

    Edit 2: You can still manually enter drive IDs to connect though!
    Easy workaround to add mapped shares:

    In PowerShell, enter the following command:

    Code:
    New-PSDrive -Name X -PSPriver FileSystem -Root \\COMPUTER\ShareName -Credential USERNAME_TO_ACCESS_SHARE -Persist

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	103791

    As name, replace the X in above example with drive letter you want to assign to share. The -Persist switch keeps the drive mapped even after restart.

    Enter password for share credentials:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	103793

    That's it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 12,931
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393 Multiprocessor Free
       30 Sep 2016 #60

    Kari said: View Post
    Easy workaround to add mapped shares:

    In PowerShell, enter the following command:

    Code:
    New-PSDrive -Name X -PSPriver FileSystem -Root \\COMPUTER\ShareName -Credential USERNAME_TO_ACCESS_SHARE -Persist

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	103791

    As name, replace the X in above example with drive letter you want to assign to share. The -Persist switch keeps the drive mapped even after restart.

    Enter password for share credentials:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	103793

    That's it.
    The Honcho PowerShell Geek strikes again!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14383 for PC and Mobile
751098939798007808 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14383 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog Download: Windows 10 Mobile Emulator 14383
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 & Mobile Build 14364
UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14332 for PC and Mobile
725082490369536001 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14332 | Windows Experience Blog How to Update to Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Builds for Phones
Windows 10 News
Mobile Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10581
Source: Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10581 | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Mobile Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10512
Source: Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10512 | Blogging Windows
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:52.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums