Windows 10: Newegg Windows 10 price & release date

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1.    31 May 2015 #31

    Phone Man said: View Post
    There may not be a full retail version for Windows 10. MS has said that the Windows 10 License is per device and free updates for the life of that device. Looks like the OS is locked to that one device aka OEM.

    Jim
    That's for the free upgrade. I haven't seen anything about there being no Retail version for consumers when it goes on sale to the general public.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 446
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and VM
       31 May 2015 #32

    So the best thing to do is to buy Windows 7 Pro then you can downgrade to Windows 10 and if you hate it you can go back to 7 Pro till Microsoft come to their senses and produce a proper desktop OS Like Windows 7. There is no way in hell I am giving up my Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 8.1 with Media Center for the new OS that is IMHO for tablets and mobile devices and once again the major group of Windows Desktop users are being kicked to the kerb.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    31 May 2015 #33

    Indianatone said: View Post
    So the best thing to do is to buy Windows 7 Pro then you can downgrade to Windows 10 and if you hate it you can go back to 7 Pro till Microsoft come to their senses and produce a proper desktop OS Like Windows 7. There is no way in hell I am giving up my Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 8.1 with Media Center for the new OS that is IMHO for tablets and mobile devices and once again the major group of Windows Desktop users are being kicked to the kerb.
    Why not just not upgrade at all? And save your money? I don't get your reasoning at all?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       31 May 2015 #34

    Isn't that price kind of high for an oem version? Windows 8.1 home full retail cost only a few dollars more.

    It also says it requires a Microsoft account and Internet access, that a little concerning.

    The fusion free package at Amazon if they have any might be cheaper. They basically make the dvd on demand and add a product key.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    31 May 2015 #35

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    Free is good but I want the DVD so I can build a new PC or just have a backup just in case my motherboard dies.
    BunnyJ do you know for a fact that if .. say ... my MB died that I would have to purchase a new copy of Windows 10? I was assuming I could just buy a new MB and install all the components I already have and then Install Windows 10 with my proper key. Even if I decided to upgrade to newer type MB and processor I thought I could do that and add all my other components. Am I wrong with this for Windows 10?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    31 May 2015 #36

    Scramjet said: View Post
    BunnyJ do you know for a fact that if .. say ... my MB died that I would have to purchase a new copy of Windows 10? I was assuming I could just buy a new MB and install all the components I already have and then Install Windows 10 with my proper key. Even if I decided to upgrade to newer type MB and processor I thought I could do that and add all my other components. Am I wrong with this for Windows 10?
    Typically when a motherboard dies you have to re-install an OS. As for Win10 I would rather have a DVD so I don't have any issues installing it on a new MB.. and in July and September I'm getting a new motherboard and processor so I would like to have a copy of Win10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    31 May 2015 #37

    thank you BunnyJ I thought I missed something new about Windows 10. I plan to upgrade my MB also but it maybe next year.

    cheers
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 14,378
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       31 May 2015 #38

    Scramjet said: View Post
    thank you BunnyJ I thought I missed something new about Windows 10. I plan to upgrade my MB also but it maybe next year.

    cheers
    Upgrade it a couple of months before the 1 year limit on upgrading to Windows 10 ends.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 324
    Win 7 Pro/32, Win 10 Pro/64/32
       31 May 2015 #39

    Like, forever, if you moved a hard drive, loaded with an OS, from one PC to another, or just to another motherboard in the same case, the security built into Windows would not let the OS boot up and run. In some cases, that could be a real deal breaker.

    However, I was really surprised one day when I stuck a hard drive, that I had loaded with Windows 8.1, on a different PC, with the intention of reformatting the drive and reinstalling 8.1. When I powered up the PC, Windows came up and informed me that it was installing the drivers for the new hardware and that I should just wait.

    After a few minutes, the old familiar Desktop came up and 8.1 was running like as if I had installed it there. WOW!
    I theorized that because both computers had an AMD cpu of similar vintage, the OS thought it was still on the same PC, but with some new hardware installed. I'm certainly not complaining..... that saved me from having to do a complete re-install of 8.1.

    But I'm pretty sure, that if that second PC would have had an Intel cpu, the result would have been totally different.

    Just a little personal experience......

      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 14,378
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       31 May 2015 #40

    TechnoMage said: View Post
    <Snip>
    However, I was really surprised one day when I stuck a hard drive, that I had loaded with Windows 8.1, on a different PC, with the intention of reformatting the drive and reinstalling 8.1. When I powered up the PC, Windows came up and informed me that it was installing the drivers for the new hardware and that I should just wait.

    After a few minutes, the old familiar Desktop came up and 8.1 was running like as if I had installed it there. WOW!
    I theorized that because both computers had an AMD cpu of similar vintage, the OS thought it was still on the same PC, but with some new hardware installed. I'm certainly not complaining..... that saved me from having to do a complete re-install of 8.1.

    That's been happening since (I think) around Windows Vista, or Windows 7. I did the same thing you did and came up with the same results and I definitely know it wasn't Windows 8 it happened with.

    BTW, the computers weren't anywhere near the same, except that I nearly always built Intel computers back then. AMD was a bit hard to work with at that point in time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Hello World: Windows 10 Available on July 29 Windows 10 Specifications - Microsoft UPDATE: https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/7210-upcoming-changes-windows-10-insider-preview-builds.html Getting the final release on July 29th
Windows 10 Release Date in General Support
Does anyone here believe that Windows 10 will be very likely to come out in June 2015 or is that wishful thinking? I want it now so badly but I would hate to have to wait until September or even July or August. Microsoft needs to speed things...
Read more...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02.
Find Us