Windows 10: Microsoft confirms that Windows 10 upgrade will not be free after one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    20 May 2015 #1

    Microsoft confirms that Windows 10 upgrade will not be free after one


    Microsoft has been heavily promoting the fact that Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for consumers running Windows 7, 8 or Phone 8.1 when the OS is released later this year. While the company is clearly pushing this 'free upgrade' announcement to make sure they can hit their 1 billion users benchmark, in a post on the company's Australian Partner Network, they explicitly state that the free upgrade offer will expire after one year.

    The post says that after the one year free period elapses, upgrades will be obtained via paid boxed product (we suspect there will be a digital offer as well). The post, which you can read here, states the following:

    Microsoft will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices in the first year. After the first year, upgrades will be paid via boxed product and VL Upgrades.

    Read more: here
    Last edited by Brink; 20 May 2015 at 09:33. Reason: Fixed format to meet news posting guidelines
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    20 May 2015 #2

    What concerns me is license status if upgraded first year as they mention "For the life of device" few times. I tend to upgrade MB (and BIOS with it) every third year and if I don't have full license to migrate easily it may present a problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    20 May 2015 #3

    CountMike said: View Post
    What concerns me is license status if upgraded first year as they mention "For the life of device" few times. I tend to upgrade MB (and BIOS with it) every third year and if I don't have full license to migrate easily it may present a problem.
    Good point.. and I plan on upgrading my Motherboard in June to avoid that issue. I think I'll buy a copy of Win10(DVD) when it comes out so I don't have to worry about the motherboard issue. And I can transfer it to a new PC when/if I build one.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    20 May 2015 #4

    They haven't really said, not that I've read anyway. If Windows 10 inherits the current type of license, OEM would get you OEM, Retail would get you Retail. Who knows if that will happen. They could also make one of the conditions of the free upgrade that it's none transferable, back to the "life of the device" thing. I'm wondering about the Technical Support side of it? If you have OEM Windows 7 or 8, you go to the manufacturer of the device for Windows Tech Support issues. If you bought retail you call Microsoft. If you upgrade an OEM install or 7 or 8 to Windows 10, who you gonna call? Ghost Busters?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 92
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro
       20 May 2015 #5

    I wish that MS would just come out and state all of the facts such as what happens if you replace your MOBO, ...etc. All they are doing with these piece meal releases is adding to the confusion.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    20 May 2015 #6

    Yeah, and everybody has their own interpretation on what the little bits of info that does come out mean. Some seem to think, if I say something often enough it will become fact.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    20 May 2015 #7

    Gary said: View Post
    I wish that MS would just come out and state all of the facts such as what happens if you replace your MOBO, ...etc. All they are doing with these piece meal releases is adding to the confusion.
    I agree- more fud. Device also needs definition.
    How about this -in October 2016 we get an enhanced version is it a feature update FREE or an 10.1 release "upgrade" PAID for. I suspect MS is holding many internal meetings thrashing out the policy and is the reason for statements dribbling out piece meal.
    More Confusion.
    We just have to be patient.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 14,995
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393, Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Update, Ubuntu
       20 May 2015 #8

    Kerry, why would I go to an OEM(they're usually not much help) if I had problems with windows? I'll just come here. At best I only need the OEM for drivers, and they can be downloaded at their site.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  9.    20 May 2015 #9

    Cliff S said: View Post
    Kerry, why would I go to an OEM(they're usually not much help) if I had problems with windows? I'll just come here. At best I only need the OEM for drivers, and they can be downloaded at their site.
    Yeah. I know. My point was, if you have an OEM version, you can't call Microsoft if you have issues with Windows. They will just tell you to contact the manufacturer. They will only give support to Retail installs. So who does Joe average computer user call if they do the free upgrade on an OEM PC and things go south?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    20 May 2015 #10

    besb said: View Post
    I agree- more fud. Device also needs definition.
    How about this -in October 2016 we get an enhanced version is it a feature update FREE or an 10.1 release "upgrade" PAID for. I suspect MS is holding many internal meetings thrashing out the policy and is the reason for statements dribbling out piece meal.
    More Confusion.
    We just have to be patient.
    Device is easier to say than listing them all out, laptop, desktop, tablet, Phone, etc. That's all.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Read more here: Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Windows 10? | CITEworld
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09.
Find Us