Windows 10: Piecing together the Windows as a Service puzzle for Windows 10

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
  1.    16 May 2015 #31

    waltc said: View Post
    So, who forced you to join the Insider program and install the beta OS? "Insiders" are all going to get Win10 RTM free, too, even if they don't own an upgrade OS. It's simple: they give you something, they ask for something back in return. Tit for Tat. It's part of the deal. If everyone was shutting updates down there'd be things they would be unable to test on a wide scale, so they disable the disable-updates setting in WU. Don't like it? Fine, go back to 8.1 until 10 ships--then install 10 and you can do as you like with the updates, right? If you are a registered "Insider" you will still get Win 10 free whether you continue testing or you don't. I don't know why, but a lot of people act like the Insiders program is something they paid good money for and that Win10's a finished product.
    We're not speaking of the technical preview (beta), we're speaking of RTM when it comes out. Might want to follow along before telling everyone they're full of shit.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,634
    W7 Pro x64 | W10 IP x64 | Linux Mint VM
       16 May 2015 #32

    waltc said: View Post
    So, who forced you to join the Insider program and install the beta OS? "Insiders" are all going to get Win10 RTM free, too, even if they don't own an upgrade OS. It's simple: they give you something, they ask for something back in return. Tit for Tat. It's part of the deal. If everyone was shutting updates down there'd be things they would be unable to test on a wide scale, so they disable the disable-updates setting in WU. Don't like it? Fine, go back to 8.1 until 10 ships--then install 10 and you can do as you like with the updates, right? If you are a registered "Insider" you will still get Win 10 free whether you continue testing or you don't. I don't know why, but a lot of people act like the Insiders program is something they paid good money for and that Win10's a finished product.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    16 May 2015 #33

    waltc said: View Post
    So, who forced you to join the Insider program and install the beta OS? "Insiders" are all going to get Win10 RTM free, too, even if they don't own an upgrade OS. It's simple: they give you something, they ask for something back in return. Tit for Tat. It's part of the deal. If everyone was shutting updates down there'd be things they would be unable to test on a wide scale, so they disable the disable-updates setting in WU. Don't like it? Fine, go back to 8.1 until 10 ships--then install 10 and you can do as you like with the updates, right? If you are a registered "Insider" you will still get Win 10 free whether you continue testing or you don't. I don't know why, but a lot of people act like the Insiders program is something they paid good money for and that Win10's a finished product.
    Who's talking about a beta OS. This is what they want to do with the final release. MS was off to a good start with Windows 10. Now with all the news of what they are planing to do I don't know if I want to upgrade to Windows 10 or not. MS is taking to much control over our computers and I for one don't like it. I never read anywhere that Windows 10 was going to be free for the insider group. I did read that we will be able to upgrade from the TP to the final release. You still have to have a qualifying OS to do it. So how is Windows 10 free if we have to sacrifice our older versions of Windows to install it? I would rather buy it retail and choose how I want to use it and what gets installed than have MS say here yeah go, a nice shiny new OS for free. All we ask is you let us control how you use it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    16 May 2015 #34

    waltc said: View Post
    This is what I mean... "Choice and control"...? Oh, come on... You are testing a *beta* OS and as such it has many limitations the final version won't have. You'll get all the choice and control you want in the final version. I mean, I thought everyone knew that...why are people confusing the Insider betas with the final product? Plus, if the Win10 beta program offends you, you can get all the "choice and control" you like with 8.1...so who forced you to join the Insiders beta OS testing program? I didn't quite catch that...What was it..."gun to the head", blackmail, what?...
    Did you read the article?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    16 May 2015 #35

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    If you have a license for WIn8.1 pro you get a license for WIn10 pro so you would get more control on updates.. I hope. In my case I have the Pro edition of WIn8.1 so I can get the Win10 Pro.
    From what I read you will be able to temporarily postpone updates but not choose if you want them or not.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 92
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro
       16 May 2015 #36

    Winuser said: View Post
    From what I read you will be able to temporarily postpone updates but not choose if you want them or not.
    Me too and if you delete one, they probably will push it again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 7,882
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       16 May 2015 #37

    Winuser said: View Post
    From what I read you will be able to temporarily postpone updates but not choose if you want them or not.
    From what I have read and M$ track record on updates it is a deal breaker for me also. Most non geeks will not even notice or care but I want a system that is stable.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    16 May 2015 #38

    labeeman said: View Post
    From what I have read and M$ track record on updates it is a deal breaker for me also. Most non geeks will not even notice or care but I want a system that is stable.
    That's my concern also. If an update is going to break something I want a way to block it before it hoses my system.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    16 May 2015 #39

    Just a thought
    Is there a way to block MS updates using the MS firewall or a third party one, but still be able to use the internet and unblock it when you decide to install any updates.
    Not the perfect fix, but at least gives you time to make sure the updates do not muck up your OS and gives you a little control back.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 7,882
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       16 May 2015 #40

    WhiteWolf said: View Post
    Just a thought
    Is there a way to block MS updates using the MS firewall or a third party one, but still be able to use the internet and unblock it when you decide to install any updates.
    Not the perfect fix, but at least gives you time to make sure the updates do not muck up your OS and gives you a little control back.
    The M$ firewall I am sure M$ would not let you use that but your router firewall will.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Related Threads
25457 Ever since news broke of Windows 10 reaching the RTM (Release to Manufacturing) milestone of development, my inbox has been full of people claiming that I’m wrong about build 10240 (the build released to Insiders) being the official Windows...
More
Will windows 10 have a subscription service? I can see some issues with that. Not everyone wants another monthly bill. I am not crazy about Linux but I did find Lubuntu works, the only issue I have is backup up and restore to a usb hard...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45.
Find Us