Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,209
    Windows 10 IoT
       17 May 2015 #11

    The way I read it is, genuine = free upgrade, non genuine = possible discount. A non genuine system can upgrade to Windows 10 but it won't be activated/licensed, they won't get a free ride. They are going to have to pay for Windows 10. The question is, will it be full price or a limited time offer discount. That's my interpretation.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 17,409
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       17 May 2015 #12

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    The way I read it is, genuine = free upgrade, non genuine = possible discount. A non genuine system can upgrade to Windows 10 but it won't be activated/licensed, they won't get a free ride. They are going to have to pay for Windows 10. The question is, will it be full price or a limited time offer discount. That's my interpretation.
    Most likely limited time for non-genuine, in keeping with MS desire to corral in all possible devices. They may offer a "limited amnesty", for a price, and give the pirates a chance to come clean. It could give MS some inexpensive PR, and bolster their M$. IMO.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,209
    Windows 10 IoT
       17 May 2015 #13

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    Most likely limited time for non-genuine, in keeping with MS desire to corral in all possible devices. They may offer a "limited amnesty", for a price, and give the pirates a chance to come clean. It could give MS some inexpensive PR, and bolster their M$. IMO.
    The way I see it there are two kinds of pirates. Those that willingly try to cheat the system and get Windows for free, they can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned. Then there are those that got hoodwinked by somebody into installing a pirated version. Some may not even know their system is compromised. I all for Microsoft giving them a discount to get their system legal again. Especially if it gets cleaned up and put back in a safe condition in the process. If it does happen, I'm sure its going to be a limited time offer. Likely to expire when the free upgrade period ends.
    Last edited by alphanumeric; 19 May 2015 at 16:20.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 17,409
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       17 May 2015 #14

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    The way I se it there are two kinds of pirates. Those that willingly try to cheat the system and get Windows for free, they can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned. Then there are those that got hoodwinked by somebody into installing a pirated version. Some may not even know their system is compromised. I all for Microsoft giving them a discount to get their system legal again. Especially if it gets cleaned up and put back in a safe condition in the process. If it does happen, I'm sure its going to be a limited time offer. Likely to expire when the free upgrade period ends.
    All the winners win, and all the losers lose more.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Nov 2013
    Land of 10,000 lakes
    Posts : 10,346
    W10 Pro, W10 Home
       17 May 2015 #15

    I didn't see any mention of a promotional upgrade price for users of Window XP, but I assume MS would want those users to upgrade as well.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,209
    Windows 10 IoT
       17 May 2015 #16

    LittleJay said: View Post
    I didn't see any mention of a promotional upgrade price for users of Window XP, but I assume MS would want those users to upgrade as well.
    Probably them more than anybody. XP is likely a thorn in thier side right about now.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 17,409
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       17 May 2015 #17

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Probably them more than anybody. XP is likely a thorn in thier side right about now.
    Every Doctor's office I walk into is still running XP Pro. Getting the AMA and their software vendors on board would be a huge feather in their cap. They'll do something!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,209
    Windows 10 IoT
       17 May 2015 #18

    As Mulder would sat "there out there".
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Nov 2013
    Central Florida
    Posts : 322
    Win 7 Pro/32, Win 10 Pro/64/32
       17 May 2015 #19

    Did Mulder really say that?

    Over the years, as a computer tech, working in both a shop and in my own business, I've worked on hundreds of PC's made by local shops and almost NONE of those PC's had a licensed version of Windows installed on it.
    That goes back many years to the very beginning of "Windows".
    Most users today, as in the past, have no idea if their version of Windows is licensed or not and couldn't care less.

    As for upgrading XP to Windows 10, many of the older XP machines couldn't run Windows 10 anyway. There are many XP PC's still running on just 256 or maybe 512 megs of Ram. Not running very well, , , , but 'running'.
    I've tried W-10 on a few really old PC's, that run XP, here in my own shop and it was a NO-GO!
    The installer goes just so far and then stops with a BSOD.

    Looking ahead..... Y'all have a great Memorial Day!


    PS: In early 2014, the VA Hospital was still running Windows XP-Pro on all their terminals (PC's)
    They finally upgraded to Windows 7, which has already had its EOS date posted by MS.
    Could that be called, "too little, too late".???
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 17,409
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       17 May 2015 #20

    TechnoMage said: View Post
    Did Mulder really say that?

    Over the years, as a computer tech, working in both a shop and in my own business, I've worked on hundreds of PC's made by local shops and almost NONE of those PC's had a licensed version of Windows installed on it.
    That goes back many years to the very beginning of "Windows".
    Most users today, as in the past, have no idea if their version of Windows is licensed or not and couldn't care less.

    As for upgrading XP to Windows 10, many of the older XP machines couldn't run Windows 10 anyway. There are many XP PC's still running on just 256 or maybe 512 megs of Ram. Not running very well, , , , but 'running'.
    I've tried W-10 on a few really old PC's, that run XP, here in my own shop and it was a NO-GO!
    The installer goes just so far and then stops with a BSOD.

    Looking ahead..... Y'all have a great Memorial Day!


    PS: In early 2014, the VA Hospital was still running Windows XP-Pro on all their terminals (PC's)
    They finally upgraded to Windows 7, which has already had its EOS date posted by MS.
    Could that be called, "too little, too late".???
    A lot too little, and way too late... and I think it was something closer to "The truth is out there".
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Installed Win 7 HP (Genuine) & No Windows 10 Icon...
I just installed Windows 7 HP (genuine and activated) on my PC so that I could get the free upgrade to Windows 10, but I don't see the upgrade icon on the taskbar. I've installed all the updates and even tried Cnet's file to put the icon back on...
General Support
download & install Win 10 Build 10162, Activate Genuine for Life long
hi guys, I need your help, if I install windows 10 Pro 10162 and successfully Activate with the key Microsoft provided. 1-Is this Windows 10 Activated for ever LIFE LONG. 2-And if I format after 6 months my PC, and when I reinstall win 10 Pro...
Windows Updates and Activation
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:53.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums