Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14905 for PC and Mobile Insider

Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
  1. CountMike's Avatar
    Posts : 18,382
    W10+Developer Insider + Linux
       #160

    Edwin said:
    Good enough! As long as it's not a '2 Stroke'!
    No, it's not Trabant !!!
    Trabant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      My Computers

  2. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,434
    Windows 10 Pro
       #161

    Cliff S said:
    The only "real" argument against using a VM is, you cannot test the OEM drivers, as the VM uses Microsoft's virtual drivers(if you use Hyper-V as I am).
    I test new builds on my real physical hardware always before installing them by upgrading a Hyper-V vm first, then using its VHD in native VHD boot.

    The "excellence" of native VHD boot is that for the first I don't have to any partitioning on host system, and that if I notice a new build does not work on my hardware, or if I just don't need the other dual boot OS anymore I simply boot to host main OS and delete the VM. It leaves no traces of of my secondary OS on host machine because the dual boot secondary OS was on a single VHD file.
      My Computer

  3. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,018
    Windows10
       #162

    Kari said:
    I test new builds on my real physical hardware always before installing them by upgrading a Hyper-V vm first, then using its VHD in native VHD boot.

    The "excellence" of native VHD boot is that for the first I don't have to any partitioning on host system, and that if I notice a new build does not work on my hardware, or if I just don't need the other dual boot OS anymore I simply boot to host main OS and delete the VM. It leaves no traces of of my secondary OS on host machine because the dual boot secondary OS was on a single VHD file.
    Additionally, you need to remove old boot entry of deleted vhd by running msconfig, selecting boot tab and deleting that vhd boot entry.
      My Computer

  4. martyfelker's Avatar
    Posts : 2,440
    Windows Insider Fast Ring LatestKUuuntu 20.10
       #163

    Interestingly using GRUB2 to multiboot (as I do with openSUSE) modifies system startup as shown in the screenshot below. Kills a lot of Windows multiboot scenarios but this doesn't much bother me since the benefits of Windows/Linux dual boot outweighs this problem for me.

    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14905 for PC and Mobile-screenshot_1.png
      My Computers

  5. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 25,570
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #164

    Cliff S said:
    Guy's, guy's what are these misconceptions I'm seeing here about running insider VM's?

    "I need all the horsepower"
    "VM's are so slow"
    "Other negative blöa bla bla"

    I give my VM' all cores of my CPU, have Dynamic Memory enabled, and have created a 456GB partition on my 1TB Samsung EVO just for VM's. They have just as much power as my Host machine.


    The only "real" argument against using a VM is, you cannot test the OEM drivers, as the VM uses Microsoft's virtual drivers(if you use Hyper-V as I am).

    All 3 of my VM's(Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 update, and Ubuntu) are setup with UEFI/GPT and boot faster than my Host with the same partitioning, as they only have a virtual BIOS/UEFI and do not need to check for 3 internal disks and USB peripherals during POST.
    After all the conversation, I thought I would make a demonstrational video, to show that a Windows 10 VM in Hyper-V is just as fast, and powerful(as someone put it: "Horsepower") as a bare metal installation.
    ***Note: the VM is on a 2nd internal SSD***

      My Computers

  6. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,434
    Windows 10 Pro
       #165

    Cliff S said:
    After all the conversation, I thought I would make a demonstrational video, to show that a Windows 10 VM in Hyper-V is just as fast, and powerful(as someone put it: "Horsepower") as a bare metal installation.
    ***Note: the VM is on a 2nd internal SSD***
    Very good video Cliff :)
      My Computer

  7. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 25,570
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #166

    Kari said:
    Very good video Cliff :)
    Thanks Kari
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 120
    win10 10056
       #167

    martyfelker said:
    Interestingly using GRUB2 to multiboot (as I do with openSUSE) modifies system startup as shown in the screenshot below. Kills a lot of Windows multiboot scenarios but this doesn't much bother me since the benefits of Windows/Linux dual boot outweighs this problem for me.

    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14905 for PC and Mobile-screenshot_1.png

    Windows default boot files handle multi-boot to various linuxes just fine. Many fine how-tos on this, I like this one https://www.iceflatline.com/2009/09/...using-bcdedit/
      My Computer

  9. sgage's Avatar
    Posts : 1,158
    Windows 10 Pro (Build 18362.418)
       #168

    johnwerneken said:
    Windows default boot files handle multi-boot to various linuxes just fine. Many fine how-tos on this, I like this one https://www.iceflatline.com/2009/09/...using-bcdedit/
    I use EasyBCD - works great.
      My Computer

  10. Kari's Avatar
    Posts : 17,434
    Windows 10 Pro
       #169

    RE: Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14905 for PC and Mobile - Page 15 - Windows 10 Forums

    When I'm wrong I have to admit it: seems that I am the culprit, my actions caused my language settings to disappear.

    I take the blame but would like to suggest that syncing your settings has a small flaw. I found out that when I allow all settings including language settings being synced, when I then install Windows on a new machine and use the same Microsoft Account, that new machine gets all other settings from existing machines except the language settings, which will be synced the other way around, from new machine to existing ones.

    I install Windows 10 several times a week on Hyper-V virtual machines, testing install / customize / sysprep scenarios. I understood this with sync when it happened in front of my eyes just now. Switching a freshly installed Hyper-V vm to Microsoft Account, it found my account picture. synced theme, colours and such in a minute, getting all my settings from existing installations but apparently the languages are synced from the new install to old ones; at the same moment my host machine language settings were reset to those single display and input languages of new vm.

    Bad phase in my insomnia, not really slept lately. I have difficulties to understand the above myself, explaining it really bad but I hope it makes some sense...
      My Computer


 
Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:44.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums