Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 6,972
    All kinds
       14 Aug 2016 #211

    Cliff S said: View Post
    I just never figured out why some members/users feel they "Must" do a clean install after every milestone upgrade.
    There is really no need for it, unless the user messes something up.
    If the upgrade goes awry, reimage, clean up what might have caused the problem, and try again.
    It's a shortcut for really bad problems. Dirty underlying system can make troubles.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 12,930
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393 Multiprocessor Free
       14 Aug 2016 #212

    CountMike said: View Post
    It's a shortcut for really bad problems. Dirty underlying system can make troubles.
    Repair install has always been enough for me.
    The only reinstalls I did, was to get rid of the cruft from Win7 and Win8 on both of my PCs after RTM, and I had the Digital entitlement.

    even when I was using Win7 on my laptop, I had reimaged quite a bit, but the "install" was always the same one, 5 years long.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,571
    Windows 10 Pro
       14 Aug 2016 #213

    Cliff S said: View Post
    I just never figured out why some members/users feel they "Must" do a clean install after every milestone upgrade.
    There is really no need for it, unless the user messes something up.
    If the upgrade goes awry, reimage, clean up what might have caused the problem, and try again.
    Your post in my opinion describes well one of the most fundamental changes in way of thinking of us so called advanced users.

    Years ago back on our sister site Seven Forums I got quite some negative feedback as an in-place upgrade advocate. I saw, still don't see anything wrong in in-place upgrade as a concept but back when main Windows operating systems in use were Windows XP, Vista and Seven recommending in-place upgrade was seen almost as blasphemy, the ultimate evil which would automatically lead to issues and problems.

    To defend my stand I even wrote this short guide: A simple guide to a successful in-place upgrade - Windows 7 Help Forums. After writing it my VM and PM were filled with negative feedback, which then calmed down until I wrote this a year later: Upgrade Install - XP to Windows 7 - Windows 7 Help Forums.

    I've been really amused to see how, not naming anyone, the same old school geeks criticizing me back then now tell how they use in-place upgrade almost exclusively, clean installing new builds as seldom as possible.

    There's nothing wrong in in-place upgrade. It doubles as repair install, upgrading to new build fixing most of the underlying issues in old build.

    Let the negative feedback come

    Kari
    Last edited by Kari; 14 Aug 2016 at 04:55. Reason: Links fixed. Instead of two links, had one posted twice.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 6,972
    All kinds
       14 Aug 2016 #214

    No negative feedback on that one from me !!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 12,930
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393 Multiprocessor Free
       14 Aug 2016 #215

    Kari said: View Post
    Your post in my opinion describes well one of the most fundamental changes in way of thinking of us so called advanced users.

    Years ago back on our sister site Seven Forums I got quite some negative feedback as an in-place upgrade advocate. I saw, still don't see anything wrong in in-place upgrade as a concept but back when main Windows operating systems in use were Windows XP, Vista and Seven recommending in-place upgrade was seen almost as blasphemy, the ultimate evil which would automatically lead to issues and problems.

    To defend my stand I even wrote this short guide: A simple guide to a successful in-place upgrade - Windows 7 Help Forums. After writing it my VM and PM were filled with negative feedback, which then calmed down until I wrote this a year later: A simple guide to a successful in-place upgrade - Windows 7 Help Forums.

    I've been really amused to see how, not naming anyone, the same old school geeks criticizing me back then now tell how they use in-place upgrade almost exclusively, clean installing new builds as seldom as possible.

    There's nothing wrong in in-place upgrade. It doubles as repair install, upgrading to new build fixing most of the underlying issues in old build.

    Let the negative feedback come

    Kari
    An inplace upgrade is the safest/fastest way to clean up problem children such as corrupted WinSxS folder, and overly cluttered prefetch folder, and get rid of old drivers(that are not used any more) from the system that can also cause instability issues.
    Just mount the ISO start the process, take a shower & shave, start the coffee machine, come back to the PC and check your settings
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    14 Aug 2016 #216

    With most of the 14.xxx Builds, I've had better luck with an upgrade than a clean install, as far as things working properly and things remaining intact, so to speak.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,939
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       14 Aug 2016 #217

    OilerNut said: View Post
    These early builds always have major bugs that make it pretty hard to use on a daily basis.
    I also have to disagree with this statement. I've been using the insider build(s) for some time with zero major issues that prevent me from doing my daily activities. The only issues I have encountered have been with Edge and they were early on and now Edge works just fine.

    In conclusion I know others use the insider build as their daily OS with no issues.

    Jeff
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,454
    W10 Pro + W10 Preview
       14 Aug 2016 #218

    Cliff S said: View Post
    An inplace upgrade is the safest/fastest way to clean up problem children such as corrupted WinSxS folder, and overly cluttered prefetch folder, and get rid of old drivers(that are not used any more) from the system that can also cause instability issues.
    Just mount the ISO start the process, take a shower & shave, start the coffee machine, come back to the PC and check your settings
    Correct me if necessary.....an in place upgrade is not using an ISO?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 12,930
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393 Multiprocessor Free
       14 Aug 2016 #219

    dencal said: View Post
    Correct me if necessary.....an in place upgrade is not using an ISO?
    You mount the ISO in file explore and click setup.exe, it then offers to search for updates so the will be included in the repair, then the process kicks in.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 003.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	96108
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,939
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       14 Aug 2016 #220

    CountMike said: View Post
    I have been running W10 version as insider and nary a glitch. Must admit I was skeptical first couple of month and run it as dual boot with 8.1 but since than it's been my daily driver 24/7.
    I do have W7 and couple of Linux distros for fallback though as this is my main computer and other ones are nowhere close to it's performance and capabilities. A laptop is still on XP.
    I've been running the insider as my primary for about the same time with similar results. But in my case I just took the dive and I didn't dual boot with 8.1. I'm a risk taking rabbit.


      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 & Mobile Build 14364
UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14271
702553978211475456 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14271 + Mobile Build 14267.1004 | Windows Experience Blog How to Start or Stop Receiving Insider Builds in Windows 10
Windows 10 News
Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14257
Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14257 https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/39650-announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-14257-a.html ;)
Windows Insider
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 11082
677187866225692672 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 11082 | Windows Experience Blog See also: Release version 11082 : Microsoft Edge Dev
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:50.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums