Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
  1.    13 May 2015 #121
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Shasta County
    Posts : 1,073
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    If you are new to the !0s you are probably saying this is the must be the most confusing thread I have ever read. There seem to be more confusing ideas as to what free means, and how it will be installed then tax bills in the U.S. State of California. . .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    14 May 2015 #122
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,242
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by RoasterMen View Post
    You should update the driver even if the OS finds the right driver for you
    IMHO, only if your missing some functionality with a device. About the only driver I manually update to the latest and greatest these days is my Video card driver, and only because I game a little bit. Other than that, its just touch pad drivers so the two finger scroll etc works. At one time I would religiously hunt up the latest driver for all my hardware, mostly because it didn't work with the Windows stock drivers. Those days are pretty well gone now. Even my HP laser printer and all in one install silently in the background first time I turn them on. No messing with the bundled software and bloat programs I don't want. On my desktop PC the VIA onboard sound is the only thing that doesn't work out of the box on a clean install. It's never detected for what ever reason. On my laptop, its just the extra functions on my touchpad. If your a serious gamer, yes you'll likely want to update your drivers, especially chip-set and video. The average Joe, not so much.

    If I was installing an OS and I knew I was going to upgrade it to another right away. I wouldn't bother updating any drivers manually at all. Not unless I had to for compatibility.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    14 May 2015 #123
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,017
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    IMHO, only if your missing some functionality with a device. About the only driver I manually update to the latest and greatest these days is my Video card driver, and only because I game a little bit. Other than that, its just touch pad drivers so the two finger scroll etc works. At one time I would religiously hunt up the latest driver for all my hardware, mostly because it didn't work with the Windows stock drivers. Those days are pretty well gone now. Even my HP laser printer and all in one install silently in the background first time I turn them on. No messing with the bundled software and bloat programs I don't want. On my desktop PC the VIA onboard sound is the only thing that doesn't work out of the box on a clean install. It's never detected for what ever reason. On my laptop, its just the extra functions on my touchpad. If your a serious gamer, yes you'll likely want to update your drivers, especially chip-set and video. The average Joe, not so much.

    If I was installing an OS and I knew I was going to upgrade it to another right away. I wouldn't bother updating any drivers manually at all. Not unless I had to for compatibility.
    Updating drivers/BIOS can even cause problems if you don't need the specific tweak(usually for new hardware) it offers. You won't get any new functions for your specific piece of hardware. For example Catalyst only show what my AMD video card was designed for, none of the new stuff shows up.

    Definition:
    A device driver is a small piece of software that tells the operating system and other software how to communicate with a piece of hardware.
    For example, all printers come accompanied with drivers to install that tell the operating system exactly how to print information on the page. Sound card drivers tell your software exactly how to translate data into audio signals that the card can output to a set of speakers.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    14 May 2015 #124
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,422
    win 10 Insider

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Try Nirsoft's Produkey and compare against Magicjellybean and remember, if you installed the free Media Center that changed your key. Windows 8.1 with Media Center and Windows 8.1 have different keys
    Yes, I know the WMC key is different and I know what it is. Tried Produkey and it gives a different one from Magicjelly AND my win8 and WMC install keys!

    Heaven knows where these keys are being pulled from!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    14 May 2015 #125
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,242
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    Yes, I know the WMC key is different and I know what it is. Tried Produkey and it gives a different one from Magicjelly AND my win8 and WMC install keys!

    Heaven knows where these keys are being pulled from!
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html try option 5.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    14 May 2015 #126
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 92
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro

    http://www.techspot.com/article/1002...not-explained/

    This from Techspot will add more confusion.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    14 May 2015 #127
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 1,422
    win 10 Insider

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Tried it and it found another unrecognised key!!

    I'm just hoping MS will recognise my old emailed WMC key!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    15 May 2015 #128
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,242
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    Tried it and it found another unrecognised key!!

    I'm just hoping MS will recognise my old emailed WMC key!
    Are your looking for your current Windows 10 Tech Preview key? If you did an upgrade install its likely a key you've never seen before. A new one generated by Microsoft. There is a thread stating no Media Center for Windows 10. You can't install with those keys anyway.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved How will the windows 10 preview upgrade work if the insiders a pro...?
How will the windows 10 preview upgrade work if the insiders a pro version? Since you can upgrade or install windows 10 rtm from Windows 10 preview. For example, some here may have upgrade from a home to windows 10 preview pro? So, will...
General Support
Windows Insiders and the Free Upgrade Offer.
Should I roll back to 8.1 so I can reserve my free copy or will insiders receive the invite icon as well?
General Support
Solved Windows 10 Free Upgrade - Activation.
So, many Windows 7 and 8.1 users started getting the notification to reserve their free copies of Windows 10. But what about those insiders who clean installed the Insider Preview? (Not upgraded from an existing system). How will activation...
Windows Updates and Activation
Windows 7 Upgrade to Windows 10 Insiders Preview 10074
Would it be possible to update my Windows 7 Pro to 10074 and still get the final release?
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums