Windows 10: Windows 10: More free upgrade and activation questions answered

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

  1. Posts : 14,370
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       13 Aug 2016 #41

    retreaded said: View Post
    I rolled back my laptop to Windows 7 Pro. I have a Product ID and no way to find if I have a license key to Windows 10. I have a Microsoft account, but I can't find a list of license keys. I am not sure if you are correct about still having a Win10 license key after a roll-back. To be sure, I would have to see it. Does anyone know how to interrogate one's Microsoft account to obtain a list of license keys?
    First the good news: You upgraded from Windows 7 Pro which means that when you upgraded to Windows 10, you got Windows 10 Pro.

    Microsoft has stated that once you install and activate Windows 10 on a system, you have a Windows 10 license for the life of that device, so yes, you do still have your Windows 10 License. @alphanumeric (a Microsoft MVP) can confirm this.

    As Alpha says, you no longer need a key to install Windows 10. Just install using your Microsoft Account.

    There's an app called "Showkey". You can find a tutorial here: Showkey - Windows 10 Forums but you still won't need it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 14,370
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       13 Aug 2016 #42

    BTW, Retreaded, there are tutorials in these forums for just about anything you can think of. Check out the Windows 10 Tutorial Index here: Windows 10 Tutorial Index - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    13 Aug 2016 #43

    Wynona said: View Post
    First the good news: You upgraded from Windows 7 Pro which means that when you upgraded to Windows 10, you got Windows 10 Pro.

    Microsoft has stated that once you install and activate Windows 10 on a system, you have a Windows 10 license for the life of that device, so yes, you do still have your Windows 10 License. @alphanumeric (a Microsoft MVP) can confirm this.

    As Alpha says, you no longer need a key to install Windows 10. Just install using your Microsoft Account.

    There's an app called "Showkey". You can find a tutorial here: Showkey - Windows 10 Forums but you still won't need it.
    You can upgrade from, and clean install with a Local account and it will still activate. It will just say "activated with a digital license" instead of "activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account".

    EDIT: The Digital License is tied to the hardware. Linking it to your Microsoft account is an extra feature, but not required for activation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 14,370
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       13 Aug 2016 #44

    retreaded said: View Post
    This is promising. I don't really mean to beat a dead horse here. I don't want to upgrade to Win10 unless and until I can get Bluetooth support for my Lenovo Bluetooth mouse and printer for my Lenovo T510. For some reason, Lenovo will not provide support for this product, even though they do for several other Laptops about the same vintage. This means well beyond the authorized upgrade promo. In the meantime, Lenovo may change their mind and develop a Bluetooth driver for it. Stranger things have happened.
    Is there a specific reason you want Bluetooth on the laptop, Retread?

    I have a laptop that's only a couple years old and it has Bluetooth, but I haven't had a reason to use it. I do use it on my desktop and on an Android tablet.

    A friend over in the Last One to Post Wins (Chillout Room) thread has an ancient HP (I think), which he wanted to test to see if he could get Windows 10 to run on it. We all watched/participated in his efforts to get it up and running. Well, well, well, whaddaya know; the thing took Windows 10 (probably only 32 bit) and went through several updates all the way through the Anniversary Edition and is running fine! Yeah, it's a tad bit slow, but goes to show ya that Windows 10 should work, Bluetooth or not.

    I would say that although the laptop doesn't have Bluetooth, there still shouldn't be a reason not to install Windows 10 on it. Bluetooth isn't a requirement of Windows 10; just an added perk.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 14,370
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       13 Aug 2016 #45

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    You can upgrade from, and clean install with a Local account and it will still activate. It will just say "activated with a digital license" instead of "activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account".

    EDIT: The Digital License is tied to the hardware. Linking it to your Microsoft account is an extra feature, but not required for activation.
    Since I use my Microsoft Account exclusively, I don't know a whole lot about a Local Account.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    13 Aug 2016 #46

    Wynona said: View Post
    Is there a specific reason you want Bluetooth on the laptop, Retread?

    I have a laptop that's only a couple years old and it has Bluetooth, but I haven't had a reason to use it. I do use it on my desktop and on an Android tablet.

    A friend over in the Last One to Post Wins (Chillout Room) thread has an ancient HP (I think), which he wanted to test to see if he could get Windows 10 to run on it. We all watched/participated in his efforts to get it up and running. Well, well, well, whaddaya know; the thing took Windows 10 (probably only 32 bit) and went through several updates all the way through the Anniversary Edition and is running fine! Yeah, it's a tad bit slow, but goes to show ya that Windows 10 should work, Bluetooth or not.

    I would say that although the laptop doesn't have Bluetooth, there still shouldn't be a reason not to install Windows 10 on it. Bluetooth isn't a requirement of Windows 10; just an added perk.
    Bluetooth printer from the looks of it?

    @ retreaded, is it the Bluetooth in the laptop that doesn't work or just the Bluetooth printer that doesn't work?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    13 Aug 2016 #47

    Wynona said: View Post
    Since I use my Microsoft Account exclusively, I don't know a whole lot about a Local Account.
    I almost exclusively use a Microsoft account. In the Education version, the setup is different. You get connect to azure or a Domain options. I end up having set up a local account, then switch to a Microsoft account. It activates with the local account logon. Also, if you upgrade from Windows 7, local account is the only option. 7 doesn't have Microsoft Account logon. Your not prompted to switch after the upgrade either. It still activates with the DL. Just stuff I notice while doing various test installs etc.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    13 Aug 2016 #48

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Bluetooth printer from the looks of it?

    @ retreaded, is it the Bluetooth in the laptop that doesn't work or just the Bluetooth printer that doesn't work?
    Actually, I have only tried the Bluetooth Laser Mouse, but assumed my printer wouldn't work either. I saw on the Lenovo site that they will not write a Bluetooth driver for this product. They specifically say they will not support an OS beyond Win7 for the T510. The Bluetooth driver runs my mouse, printer, and scanner. I am an insurance agent and use my laptop in client homes, most of whom do not have internet/PC availability. I can run plan quotes and print them out for them on the spot. I can take the insurance application from them offline on my laptop and upload it to the carrier when I get home. This is a very important tool for me.

    I saw the posts about installing Win10 on old machines. (sigh) I have an old Dell Dimension that I can't even install Linux Cinnamon Mint on, not to mention Windows beyond XP. My wife uses it to play solitaire. I am hoping it will die, but I think it will outlast me. Can't get rid of it... nobody will take it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    13 Aug 2016 #49

    retreaded said: View Post
    Actually, I have only tried the Bluetooth Laser Mouse, but assumed my printer wouldn't work either. I saw on the Lenovo site that they will not write a Bluetooth driver for this product. They specifically say they will not support an OS beyond Win7 for the T510. The Bluetooth driver runs my mouse, printer, and scanner. I am an insurance agent and use my laptop in client homes, most of whom do not have internet/PC availability. I can run plan quotes and print them out for them on the spot. I can take the insurance application from them offline on my laptop and upload it to the carrier when I get home. This is a very important tool for me.

    I saw the posts about installing Win10 on old machines. (sigh) I have an old Dell Dimension that I can't even install Linux Cinnamon Mint on, not to mention Windows beyond XP. My wife uses it to play solitaire. I am hoping it will die, but I think it will outlast me. Can't get rid of it... nobody will take it.
    You should probably start a new thread on this side topic. I'll be glad to go there and see if this can be resolved. You'll get more people seeing it too with its own proper title, etc.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    13 Aug 2016 #50

    Wynona said: View Post
    First the good news: You upgraded from Windows 7 Pro which means that when you upgraded to Windows 10, you got Windows 10 Pro.

    Microsoft has stated that once you install and activate Windows 10 on a system, you have a Windows 10 license for the life of that device, so yes, you do still have your Windows 10 License. @alphanumeric (a Microsoft MVP) can confirm this.

    As Alpha says, you no longer need a key to install Windows 10. Just install using your Microsoft Account.

    There's an app called "Showkey". You can find a tutorial here: Showkey - Windows 10 Forums but you still won't need it.
    Thank you very much for the info. I just finished reading Paul Thurrott's blog about the digital licensing scheme MSFT uses. Yes, I believe you all now. I did the upgrade just prior to July 29th and rolled back a couple of days later. The only thing is that I never installed the AU since it wasn't out at the time.
    Yes, this forum is chock full of assistance. Just like the SevenForum which I have been a member of for several years.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Related Threads
Windows 10: Get your top questions answered Source: https://info.microsoft.com/US-MSFT-WBNR-FY16-05May-05-Windows10Getyourtopquestionsanswered-Register.html
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59.
Find Us