Windows 10: Microsoft Official Confirms “Windows 10 Is the Last Version of Windows

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,634
    W7 Pro x64 | W10 IP x64 | Linux Mint VM
       09 May 2015 #61

    whs said: View Post
    I don't understand why anybody would want to pay those high prices for Onedrive. I just bought a 2TB USB3 disk for $69. That is my Onedrive. Plus I have about a dozen other smaller external disks of up to 1TB for backup.
    All well and good, but how does owning Office 2007 have anything to do with refusing to pay for a 'rumoured' Windows 10 subscription that hasn't even been announced? What if it was $2 per month? Would you turn your nose up at it then?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       09 May 2015 #62

    Boozad said: View Post
    All well and good, but how does owning Office 2007 have anything to do with refusing to pay for a 'rumoured' Windows 10 subscription that hasn't even been announced? What if it was $2 per month? Would you turn your nose up at it then?
    Yep, I wouldn't be able to do it. Remember, prices go up. My limited cable service use to cost $10 USD plus taxes and fees, Now cost $23 USD plus taxes. We shouldn't have to pay to rent an operating system.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    09 May 2015 #63

    When talking about subscriptions to products or services you have to think about the normal user. How will most of the 1 billion+ of Microsoft's user respond to subscription based software? Look at the prevalence of googles services in schools and you see why most get away with simpler solutions. Then you look at piracy in China and other regions.
    I'm not trying to be a google spokesperson. I use whatever works and is most readily available at the right price. Office Pro was a free download from my school and I like it. I'm sure office sales well, but making everything subscription based I'm not so sure about.

    Obviously this is all hearsay and well see how it plays out. As long as Microsoft goes in with the right ideas they can make the correct choices. I think they learned from xbox one what bad press does for them.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,634
    W7 Pro x64 | W10 IP x64 | Linux Mint VM
       09 May 2015 #64

    groze said: View Post
    Yep, I wouldn't be able to do it. Remember, prices go up. My limited cable service use to cost $10 USD plus taxes and fees, Now cost $23 USD plus taxes. We shouldn't have to pay to rent an operating system.
    So at $2 per month ($240 over a ten year period) you'd say no. But would happily pay for a one time OS license. Makes sense.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       09 May 2015 #65

    Boozad said: View Post
    So at $2 per month ($240 over a ten year period) you'd say no. But would happily pay for a one time OS license. Makes sense.
    Who said I pay for the Operating system itself? I would pay for a new computer as long as I didn't have to pay a monthly or yearly fee to use the Operating system.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,467
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       09 May 2015 #66

    Other factors in "online vs local" are network charges and restrictions.
    Mobile devices are massively restricted here in Australia.
    A quote from an ad; "a massive 1GB of data per month".

    Boozad said: View Post
    So at $2 per month ($240 over a ten year period) you'd say no. But would happily pay for a one time OS license. Makes sense.
    The locally installed OS isn't at the mercy of:
    • Microsoft
    • Your ISP
    • An unknown number of carriers between MS and your ISP
    • Cyber-criminals
    • Multiple idiots with backhoes

    Those groups could accidentally, or deliberately, take out your network access.

    Our network's download speed doesn't exceed 6Mb/s, which would be unacceptably slow for running a modern OS.
    I generally get between 30MB/s and 120MB/s speeds on my local HDDs.
    A lot of people these days think that is unacceptably slow and install SSDs.
    Last edited by lehnerus2000; 10 May 2015 at 12:02. Reason: Clarification
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    09 May 2015 #67

    groze said: View Post
    Who said I pay for the Operating system itself? I would pay for a new computer as long as I didn't have to pay a monthly or yearly fee to use the Operating system. Check my specs out in a few minutes, I will be updating them.
    He don't know you very well does he. . .I mean if it isn't a free OS (Linux) you would never ever buy one. . .
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 8,743
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       09 May 2015 #68

    Well this turned interesting. I hope everyone enjoys and goes with what they want.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       09 May 2015 #69

    Lee said: View Post
    He don't know you very well does he. . .I mean if it isn't a free OS (Linux) you would never ever buy one. . .
    I actually bought windows 7 dell computer quite by accident thank you HP. Otherwise I would be on windows 8 forum instead of the 7 forum. I really like windows 7 and you are right I also like Linux. In fact, I hate subscription services of any type. I am not a strong internet user. Yes, I went nuts for the first few months of high speed but basically done everything I could on the internet that I would enjoy. (Yes, I like these forums that why I am still here). For the first few months I used windows 7 exclusively. Now, I dual boot with windows & Xubuntu. I say I use each about 50 percent of the time. At one time I triple booted with windows 7, Windows 10 preview & Lubuntu.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Worksp1.png  
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 8,743
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       09 May 2015 #70

    I've used Linux, but I prefer Windows.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Read more: Microsoft confirms that Spartan will be in the next Windows 10 preview release
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46.
Find Us