Windows 10: Office 2016 Public Preview now available Office

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
  1.    29 Jun 2015 #111

    Williams said: View Post
    I dont see many UI changes.
    Have you tried it? I see a few changes.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 14,328
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       29 Jun 2015 #112

    Thanks. I understand now . . . that's not a subscription, but a one time purchase for one user. Kind of like Office 2013, but in Click to Run form.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    29 Jun 2015 #113

    Wynona said: View Post
    Thanks. I understand now . . . that's not a subscription, but a one time purchase for one user. Kind of like Office 2013, but in Click to Run form.
    Yes. It is a one time purchase (pays for it self in two-years when compared with $99/year subscription plan). I'm not sure what you mean by "Click to Run". This version is "Office 2013" (one of its flavors) and it's fully installed on your PC. No internet connection required to run it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 14,328
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       29 Jun 2015 #114

    CountryBumkin said: View Post
    Yes. It is a one time purchase (pays for it self in two-years when compared with $99/year subscription plan). I'm not sure what you mean by "Click to Run". This version is "Office 2013" (one of its flavors) and it's fully installed on your PC. No internet connection required to run it.
    Used to be that you went to the store and bought a DVD with the Microsoft program you wanted on it. Now, Click to Run is how we'll get most of our software from Microsoft in the not so distant future. You log in, click on the software you want and it's downloaded to your computer and installed (once you've paid, of course). That's the way I install Office 365 when I do a clean install of Windows 10. I just go to my account and click on what I need to reinstall. Over simplified, but basically that's the way it goes.

    I don't think they've quite gotten there with Windows, though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 14,328
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       29 Jun 2015 #115

    For those trying the Public Preview of Office 365 and those running Office 2010 and 2013, here's a Microsoft support page you may not have known about. I didn't until this morning when I attended a Microsoft webcast on the Excel Power Map.

    https://support.office.com/?ui=en-US...&nf=1&fromAR=1

    Enjoy!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    29 Jun 2015 #116

    Wynona said: View Post
    For those trying the Public Preview of Office 365 and those running Office 2010 and 2013, here's a Microsoft support page you may not have known about. I didn't until this morning when I attended a Microsoft webcast on the Excel Power Map.

    https://support.office.com/?ui=en-US...&nf=1&fromAR=1

    Enjoy!
    Thanks for the info. . .will stay with Works 9 for the time being. . .
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 11,227
    Windows 10 Pro
       29 Jun 2015 #117

    CountryBumkin said: View Post
    Yes. It is a one time purchase (pays for it self in two-years when compared with $99/year subscription plan). I'm not sure what you mean by "Click to Run". This version is "Office 2013" (one of its flavors) and it's fully installed on your PC. No internet connection required to run it.
    First, you cannot compare the one user license boxed Office 2013 Home & Business to a 5 user license version ($99) of the Office 365 Home subscription. If compared then compare it to one user version of Office, the Office 365 Personal, $69 a year. Comparing these prices you could say that buying the boxed version it pays for itself in a bit more than three years.

    But, that's forgetting the following facts:
    • The $69 a year Office 365 Personal subscription gives two additional Office programs, Access and Publisher. These are not included in $219 Office 2013 Home & Business edition
    • The $219 boxed Office 2013 Home & Business comes with no extra OneDrive storage, OneDrive being limited to 15 GB if you wont pay for the additional storage, whereas the $69 Office 365 Personal comes with 1 TB of OneDrive. It's a huge difference
    • The $69 Office 365 Personal also includes 60 free Skype minutes per month, to be used for calls to landlines in most of the countries worldwide and to mobile numbers in a few countries, including USA. Such free calls are not included in the boxed Office 2013 Home & Business
    • When Office suite will be upgraded, the Office 365 Personal subscriber can upgrade for free first day the upgrade is published, Office 365 subscription entitles the user to always have the latest software. Buying a boxed version that's it; an upgrade will cost money
    • Buying boxed version of Office 2013 Home & Business you get one license to one PC. Subscribing the Office 365 Personal you get one license for one PC, and another license for an additional tablet or mobile phone

    However you count it and compare it, the Office 365 Personal makes much more sense.

    Kari
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 14,328
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       29 Jun 2015 #118

    Kari said: View Post
    First, you cannot compare the one user license boxed Office 2013 Home & Business to a 5 user license version ($99) of the Office 365 Home subscription. If compared then compare it to one user version of Office, the Office 365 Personal, $69 a year. Comparing these prices you could say that buying the boxed version it pays for itself in a bit more than three years.

    But, that's forgetting the following facts:
    • The $69 a year Office 365 Personal subscription gives two additional Office programs, Access and Publisher. These are not included in $219 Office 2013 Home & Business edition
    • The $219 boxed Office 2013 Home & Business comes with no extra OneDrive storage, OneDrive being limited to 15 GB if you wont pay for the additional storage, whereas the $69 Office 365 Personal comes with 1 TB of OneDrive. It's a huge difference
    • The $69 Office 365 Personal also includes 60 free Skype minutes per month, to be used for calls to landlines in most of the countries worldwide and to mobile numbers in a few countries, including USA. Such free calls are not included in the boxed Office 2013 Home & Business
    • When Office suite will be upgraded, the Office 365 Personal subscriber can upgrade for free first day the upgrade is published, Office 365 subscription entitles the user to always have the latest software. Buying a boxed version that's it; an upgrade will cost money

    However you count it and compare it, the Office 365 Personal makes much more sense.

    Kari
    I'm in total agreement, Kari. When comparing, the number of computers one has must be also considered. You've pointed out things I hadn't thought of, such as the 60 Skype minutes (I wouldn't need them unless I called you). And, the 1 TB of OneDrive space with O365.

    What I find most economical is that I have (at the moment) four computers and two tablets. I currently subscribe to Office 365 Home (Premium). I'm allowed to put it on five computers and five tablets over 10.1" (10.1" & under are free). That's five installations of O365 currently or $20.00 per year per device. I would have to keep Office for Home and Business for eleven years for the cost per computer to be $20.00.

    If I had to buy Office Home and Business for each of my computers, I'd spend $876.00. I couldn't even put it on my 11.6" 'droid tablet, nor could I install Office for Android without a $69.00 subscription!

    And, that doesn't take into consideration the fact that O365 is always up to date, while Office for Home and Business will stay static as far as upgrades are concerned.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 11,233
    W10Prox64
       29 Jun 2015 #119

    Windows 10 will include Office for Windows apps for free. They're also free for Android and iOS now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 11,227
    Windows 10 Pro
       29 Jun 2015 #120

    CountryBumkin said: View Post
    Yes. It is a one time purchase (pays for it self in two-years when compared with $99/year subscription plan). I'm not sure what you mean by "Click to Run". This version is "Office 2013" (one of its flavors) and it's fully installed on your PC. No internet connection required to run it.
    I started my previous reply to you with "First,...", then I forgot to post the "Second,..." . As it is, I want to post the latter part of my planned reply separately here. Here we go:

    I have no understanding for users who don't bother to find out the facts and then use something they wrongly assume as a reason for not to get / use / test something and then even spread the false pseudo facts. I hope you don't take this too personally, I am simply stating a personal honest opinion. For instance, where on earth have you heard or read that Office 365 needs Internet connection for it to work? Or that the Office 365 would not be fully installed on your computer?

    Of course it will need the connection when you install it, as do the Office 2013 Home& Business you have decided to get if you buy it from the Microsoft Store online, or if and when you want to save your documents in the huge 1 TB OneDrive included in the subscription, but that's it.

    This is the screenshot of my Office 365 Home Admin panel. The Home version is the $99 a year version, for 5 users, each of them with three licenses (a PC or Mac plus a tablet and a mobile phone):

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-06-29_23h46_52.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	22745

    I can give any of the five licenses to anyone I want to although an egomaniac as I am, I am using them by myself now. I still have one user to use if and when the 4 TB of OneDrive I am now using through my four user accounts will be full. Each and every of my 5 users can then click Install on their user panel and start the installation. At the moment of writing this post the Office 2013 Pro (Word, Excel, OneNote, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access, Outlook) will then be fully installed on their local computers, exactly the same than in your case if you buy the Office 2013 Home & Business (sorry, that was not completely true; you will not get Access and Publisher because your chosen Office version is more limited!):

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2015-06-29_23h39_31.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	22744

    The difference is, for instance when Office 2016 will be released, for you remains only the option to buy an upgrade if you decide to upgrade, whereas me and the other 4 I have given one of the Office 365 licenses will be asked if we want to upgrade to Office 2016. For free, of course. And the same when the next Office version after 2016 version will be released. Again, you will have to pay for an upgrade, I don't need to pay anything for that.

    And the same with the even cheaper one user license Office 365 Personal at $69 a year. The subscription only means that you pay eiher monthly or yearly as you choose and that you get a bunch of extras not included in boxed version. That's it, other than that both give you locally installed full Office suite (the Office 365 Home or Personal subscription) or somewhat reduced Office suite (your Office 2013 Home & Business). Both need a network and Internet connection exactly as much, if we forget that the subscriber has of course more reason to be online because he also got a huge online storage to save local storage.

    Kari
    Last edited by Kari; 29 Jun 2015 at 17:17.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Source: Office 2016 Preview update 2 - Office Blogs Get Office 2016: Office 2016 Preview download page (direct) Get Office 2016 Preview (32 bit) (direct) Get Office 2016 Preview (64 bit)
deleted !! posted in error jinbo
Hi there I think this comment is allowed - there is an NDA but I think this is OK. The latest update installs OFFICE 2016 just fine and works OK. Office 2010 is left untouched so you can run BOTH concurrently. OUTLOOK 2016 though uses the same...
Read more: Microsoft releases first public preview of SQL Server 2016 | ZDNet
Source: http://blogs.office.com/2015/05/20/early-look-at-office-2016-public-preview-for-windows-on-the-desktop-and-phone/
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:26.
Find Us