Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
  1.    07 Aug 2016 #131
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,172
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakerfanalways View Post
    Yeah the thing is..I only had the disc for Windows 10 from last July(I dont have anymore DVR discs I ran out) I had to do a clean install on my laptop before I did do the upgrade to the anniversary version by going online and upgrading it but I noticed all the issues that happened after wards, some apps no longer worked..so I did a clean install with that disc..I figured I would get the update like everything else, it did update but NO update for the anniversary version so really not sure what to do why wouldnt it be in the updates it showed up for my desktop no problem and I had also previous 1511
    It seems to be hit or miss. My laptop updated via Windows update on the 2nd. My desktop PC just kept saying "up to date" when I ran Windows update.
    I just downloaded the ISO and did the upgrade manually from that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    07 Aug 2016 #132
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 51
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    It seems to be hit or miss. My laptop updated via Windows update on the 2nd. My desktop PC just kept saying "up to date" when I ran Windows update.
    I just downloaded the ISO and did the upgrade manually from that.
    Yeah unfortunately I dont have an available disc right now otherwise I would do it..I just dont want to do that "Learn more" in the update options and download the update that way, last time I did that too many weird things were happening..apps didnt work anymore, so figured the best way to update would be through available updates but its not appearing..on my desktop I also had 1511 and on Tuesday the 2nd it appeared right now, on my Sony laptop still nothing
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    07 Aug 2016 #133
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,172
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakerfanalways View Post
    Yeah unfortunately I dont have an available disc right now otherwise I would do it..I just dont want to do that "Learn more" in the update options and download the update that way, last time I did that too many weird things were happening..apps didnt work anymore, so figured the best way to update would be through available updates but its not appearing..on my desktop I also had 1511 and on Tuesday the 2nd it appeared right now, on my Sony laptop still nothing
    Another option is to create a bootable thumb drive. The MCT will do it for you. I do all my installs from thumb drives. It is much faster. Read speeds from a thumb drive will leave an optical drive in the dust. And its easy to rewrite the drive with a new image when a new version of Windows 10 comes out. 8 gig or larger and your all set.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    07 Aug 2016 #134
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 860
    Win 10 Home

    sounds easy alpha, but i have so much stuff on my pc that in use almost daily, it would be hard work to put it all back
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    07 Aug 2016 #135
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 51
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    Another option is to create a bootable thumb drive. The MCT will do it for you. I do all my installs from thumb drives. It is much faster. Read speeds from a thumb drive will leave an optical drive in the dust. And its easy to rewrite the drive with a new image when a new version of Windows 10 comes out. 8 gig or larger and your all set.


    yeah I dont have a thumb drive either..I have a external drive but I know it wont work for this..I would have to get another disc to burn the updated anniversary version on my laptop but I really dont want that to become a pattern..it would be easier for me to just update it the regular way not sure why its not appearing
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    07 Aug 2016 #136
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,172
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by elbmek View Post
    sounds easy alpha, but i have so much stuff on my pc that in use almost daily, it would be hard work to put it all back
    That's a common problem. I can see why people wouldn't want to do it. I can have Windows and office up and running in a couple of hours. It wasn't all that long ago that that would kill the better part of a day. After that I just install stuff as I need it. Upgrades often introduce quirks etc. I'll take a clean install over an upgrade in any month with a week in it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    07 Aug 2016 #137
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,172
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakerfanalways View Post
    yeah I dont have a thumb drive either..I have a external drive but I know it wont work for this..I would have to get another disc to burn the updated anniversary version on my laptop but I really dont want that to become a pattern..it would be easier for me to just update it the regular way not sure why its not appearing
    If you download the ISO, then mount it in Windows, you can run the setup.exe from the virtual disk and do the upgrade that way. No physical media required.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    07 Aug 2016 #138
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Posts : 3,361
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    It seems to be hit or miss. My laptop updated via Windows update on the 2nd. My desktop PC just kept saying "up to date" when I ran Windows update.
    I just downloaded the ISO and did the upgrade manually from that.
    If you were running any of the more recent Insider builds there you likely already had a Redstone 1 build on and why you wouldn't see the Anniversary update arrive from being too new a build as well as one of the RS1 builds in particular. The WU already sees that as being current despite any minor number change between Insider and General RTM release.

    Even with the TH2 on a recently bought in January laptop the RS1 didn't show up at all and had to see a mount of the iso to complete the upgrade to update from BD Rom - ESD to ISO virtual drive as seen with the Virtual Clonedrive app having been used on all three desktops plus the laptop.

    Another thing I should refresh people here with is how to get the "4 in 1" iso downloaded by way of the Media Creation Tool which in fact was once again needed for the 32gb flash drive as well as another 16gb when the MC Tool failed the online upgrade as well as failed to create the usb media when tried this time around with the latest MC Tool for some unknown reason forcing the manual method to upgrade each pc here. The MS Answers site Wiki instructs with ease on how to download the 4 in 1 iso at: How to Download Official Windows 10 ISO files Using Media Creation - Microsoft Community

    Since the free offer expired on the 29th the Tech Bench site was no longer needed and which explains why MS phased that out so no more freebie downloads would be seen outside of those still involved in the Insider Program which at this time would seem to be in pause mode. The last few Insider Preview builds see a 1001 rearm count indicating longer then six months worth of activation time as seen with other preview builds. Now it's pay for DL with download or buy OEM for System Builders media time if you didn't already grab the free upgrade offer.
    The other two 8.1 to 10 upgraded laptops that only just lately before the end of the offer came up a week before actually did however see the RS1 arrive by WU. I got out of manually updating those two for the time being at least. From about only a week at first seeing 10 go on to the update I would say that couple had it easier then many!
    Last edited by Night Hawk; 07 Aug 2016 at 19:22. Reason: additional information added
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    07 Aug 2016 #139
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,172
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
    If you were running any of the more recent Insider builds there you likely already had a Redstone 1 build on and why you wouldn't see the Anniversary update arrive from being too new a build as well as one of the RS1 builds in particular. The WU already sees that as being current despite any minor number change between Insider and General RTM release.

    Even with the TH2 on a recently bought in January laptop the RS1 didn't show up at all and had to see a mount of the iso to complete the upgrade to update from BD Rom - ESD to ISO virtual drive as seen with the Virtual Clonedrive app having been used on all three desktops plus the laptop.

    The other two 8.1 to 10 upgraded laptops that only just lately before the end of the offer came up a week before actually did however see the RS1 arrive by WU. I got out of manually updating those two for the time being at least. From about only a week at first seeing 10 go on to the update I would say that couple had it easier then many!
    I was only running an insider build on one PC. The PC's I'm talking about were running 1511 and not receiving Insider builds. My wife's laptop has still not upgraded. My laptop and desktop were running the Education edition. The MCT was not an option with those. It's Windows update or upgrade from an ISO. My wife's laptop is running 10 Pro.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    07 Aug 2016 #140
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Posts : 51
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    If you download the ISO, then mount it in Windows, you can run the setup.exe from the virtual disk and do the upgrade that way. No physical media required.
    But only doing it through an upgrade right..I cant do a clean install that way..I prefer clean install in case any files are left behind
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 Anniversary Update Available August 2
Download Windows 10 Anniversary ISO (32-bit 3.14 GB) (64-bit=4.07 GB): :arrow:Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums 93706
Windows 10 News
First one with windows 10 anniversary update
Who will it be? With no glitches. What time? Where are you located? What do you really notice improved over old 10? If you are a paying customer, did you get your monies worth? Are loading times (software and boot speeds). Add your questions if you...
General Support
First look: Microsoft's Windows 10 Anniversary Update
Read more: First look: Microsoft's Windows 10 Anniversary Update | ZDNet
Windows 10 News
Solved Windows Anniversary. Is it an Update or an Upgrade ?
I haven't been able to find a definitive answer to this. Many are calling this an 'update', whereas a few are mentioning 'upgrade'. My understanding is that as an 'Update', we have no choice but to install it when released. i.e its just a normal...
General Support
Windows 10 Anniversary Update: These are the new features
Windows 10 Anniversary Update: These are the new features Coming this summer, for free! Start Menu 72578 Start Screen 72579 Action Center
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:54.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums