Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Oct 2013
    North West Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts : 446
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and VM
       04 May 2015 #41

    Mystere said: View Post
    They are not removing it from the software you purchased. They are not dropping support of it in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1. It's childish to expect someone to support something that has such a tiny user base, which they have gave very strong signals was on its deathbed for at least 3 or 4 years... They were going to drop support in Windows 8, but kept it around for 8 and 8.1. It was clear that you should be looking for alternatives.



    I use a CABLECARD with my TiVo just fine, and it's amazing. I can view my shows on my PC's, on my Tablets (Android and iOS and Windows 8), and I can do remote scheduling, multi-room viewing, and a whole host of features that WMC can't possibly dream of without a lot of extra help.



    TiVo. A dedicated device is a lot better in this case.



    They've supported this for.. oh.. 15 years or so... They've clearly communicated their wish to kill it off for the last 5... i'd hardly call that "BAMM, abandoned".
    Windows Phone has a tiny to non existent user base. Microsoft will learn with Windows 10 that the mobile ship sailed and they were not on it. In the mean time Windows 7 users will increase as most users want an OS not a toy mobile phone.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       04 May 2015 #42

    Indianatone said: View Post
    Windows Phone has a tiny to non existent user base. Microsoft will learn with Windows 10 that the mobile ship sailed and they were not on it. In the mean time Windows 7 users will increase as most users want an OS not a toy mobile phone.
    It's not that tiny. Current (as of Q4 2014) Windows Phone share is 2.8%, which is probably 10x the usage of WMC. And Windows 10 Phone may well raise that quite a bit if they go through with their plan to provide ROM's for Android phones. I know I would convert all of mine to Windows 10 in a heartbeat. The only reason I won't buy a Windows phone is that the hardware is always behind the times. If I can get Windows 10 on modern phone hardware (with the exception of the Lumia which my carrier doesn't offer) then i'd jump at it.

    Besides, the ability to swap ROM's back and forth is pretty cool

    People don't buy Windows Phones because of Windows. They don't buy them because the hardware was sub-standard, and there were only a few models available, and they did not get hardware refreshes anywhere near as often as Android phones.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2013
    Standish, Lancashire
    Posts : 4,775
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       04 May 2015 #43

    Mystere said: View Post
    It's not that tiny. Current (as of Q4 2014) Windows Phone share is 2.8%, which is probably 10x the usage of WMC.
    This is just a complete guess based on your opinion, which makes the statement absolutely pointless.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       04 May 2015 #44

    z3r010 said: View Post
    This is just a complete guess based on your opinion, which makes the statement absolutely pointless.
    That's why I used the word "probably", which indicates a guess. To be honest, I've never met anyone "in real life" who used WMC. I met a number of people who had it installed because they took advantage of the free WMC offer of Windows 8, but they never used it for anything.

    Of course, that's just my own personal experience... but frankly, the vast majority of people don't even have DVR's. And if they do, most people have cable company owned ones...

    I've met many more people with Windows Phones than people who even have non-cable company DVR's. So my own experience is that WMC is a tiny fraction of people who have such systems..

    I could be wrong, but I doubt it.. especially since a MS exec is quoted as saying WMC usage is "infinitesimal".
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2013
    North West Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts : 446
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and VM
       04 May 2015 #45

    Well I must be really strange as I have 3 TV's and each one has a PC with media center to stream TV, Netflix, Amazon and Local TV stations and stuff I record off air. I do know all about TIVO as I used to have one but decided it would be cheaper to use my own computers to do what I wanted. Watch UK TV, US TV, watch movies on Blu ray and DVD and also stream the stuff. The market maybe small in Windows terms but there will be a lot of noise from users about this. Some of the very expensive TV Tuners only work in Windows as they have cable cards and Linux does not officially do HD content decryption. It is another short sighted policy change by the leaders of Microsoft who are on a ship lost at sea. Ten will be great for some of the Microsoft fanbois who just love every piece of crap they produce but I have watched Windows 10 deteriorate with the stupid icons and awful colour scheme cooked up by the new user experience. It won't get adopted by business as worries about data mining and they have just moved from XP to 7 and it sure won't be on all my PC's as I need to have media centre. 7 is great, 8 is a turd and 10 is an even more polished turd. I would sack the whole frigging lot of them. The board must be getting worried how they can pee their way through all the development costs and still can't get it right.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2013
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    Posts : 9,519
    Windows 10 Pro
       04 May 2015 #46

    At least native DVD / BD support seems to on its ways:

      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Oct 2013
    North West Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts : 446
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and VM
       04 May 2015 #47

    That will be good, Thanks Kari. I suppose compiling the guide for 2 weeks ahead in the countries that use Media Center is something they no longer wish to support.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jul 2014
    Belo Horizonte
    Posts : 710
    Windows 10 Build 14267
       04 May 2015 #48

    Too Bad !

      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Sep 2014
    Posts : 2,923
    Windows 10 Pro
       04 May 2015 #49

    Indianatone said: View Post
    Well I must be really strange as I have 3 TV's and each one has a PC with media center to stream TV, Netflix, Amazon and Local TV stations and stuff I record off air. I do know all about TIVO as I used to have one but decided it would be cheaper to use my own computers to do what I wanted. Watch UK TV, US TV, watch movies on Blu ray and DVD and also stream the stuff. The market maybe small in Windows terms but there will be a lot of noise from users about this. Some of the very expensive TV Tuners only work in Windows as they have cable cards and Linux does not officially do HD content decryption.
    A number of 3rd party media centers support Cable cards. Media Portal, the alternative referenced in the article in #1 in fact supports cable cards, and looks like it does 1000x more than WMC ever did.

    http://www.team-mediaportal.com/

    Indianatone said: View Post
    It is another short sighted policy change by the leaders of Microsoft who are on a ship lost at sea. Ten will be great for some of the Microsoft fanbois who just love every piece of crap they produce but I have watched Windows 10 deteriorate with the stupid icons and awful colour scheme cooked up by the new user experience. It won't get adopted by business as worries about data mining and they have just moved from XP to 7 and it sure won't be on all my PC's as I need to have media centre. 7 is great, 8 is a turd and 10 is an even more polished turd. I would sack the whole frigging lot of them. The board must be getting worried how they can pee their way through all the development costs and still can't get it right.
    Don't be ridiculous, the only people "worried" are those who have no idea what's going on.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : May 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 7
       05 May 2015 #50

    Mystere said: View Post
    A number of 3rd party media centers support Cable cards. Media Portal, the alternative referenced in the article in #1 in fact supports cable cards, and looks like it does 1000x more than WMC ever did.

    http://www.team-mediaportal.com/



    Don't be ridiculous, the only people "worried" are those who have no idea what's going on.

    It only supports the unencrypted copy freely content. Premium channels or any channel your cable company feels like encrypting it doesn't support. TIVO is an expensive alternative for the cord cutting computer hobbyist who dislikes adding additional monthly charges.

    Media Portal although cool, still lacks in hardware support compared to Media Center (surprisingly).

    It's unfortunate, because Media Center is antiquated, but it has certain features that only money could buy.
    Last edited by kingpin2k; 05 May 2015 at 00:34.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows Media Center
Has any one tried installing WMC on build 9926 yet? It wouldn't work on older builds.
Software and Apps
Solved Korea Media Player Center and Korea Messenger Center
During my recent upgrade of Windows 10 from one build to another, the above two programs landed on my desktop. I am, as can be seen, in the UK, and I very much regret that I do not understand and cannot read Korean, so how can I get rid of them? I...
Software and Apps
Solved Windows Media Center win-8.1 on win-10 install
Hi, Just ran into this and thought I would share, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_tp-windows_update/media-center-on-windows-10-technical-preview/6e393795-b9c9-4d27-b693-d9eddc293d09 Might be something/ might be nothing...
General Support
Windows Media Center
I've just tested and I was able to add Media Center to Windows 10 with my Windows 8 media center key :party: Although my desktop watermark now shows as Windows 8.1 with media center.
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:13.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums