Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1.    04 May 2015 #31
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,196
    Windows 10 IoT

    Easy enough to upgrade and then go back to your previous OS if you don't like what you see. There is nothing saying you have to stay on 10 once you upgrade. Not that I've seen. Seems to me free upgrades means more will kick the tires. Those that haven't already that is.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    04 May 2015 #32

    Hi there

    If you like WMC why not simply keep a small dedicated VM with just that application. Current VM software is far superior these days -- decent graphics / 3D is perfectly possible from a VM now.

    While specialized gaming might still be beyond the capabilities of most VM systems - things like movies / TV / video streaming are perfectly decent when run from a VM --I run a movie streamer (Mezzmo) quite OK from a VM. Ensure your Wifi / LAN (better) performance is adequate though -- 2mb/s is about the MINIMUM for acceptable performance.

    A small dedicated VM will use fairly small resources from the Host so it's a perfectly OK way of doing these things.

    I run a VINYL CUTTING studio totally from an XP VM -- no problem at all when using a Windows 10 or Linux Host.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    04 May 2015 #33
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,653
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Dude View Post
    John, give EMBY a try
    Dude, thanks for that tip! It will not replace WMC for those using it with a TV card for live TV and DVR, but for me it is perfect. I had never heard of Emby before reading your post and then Googling it, now I have it installed and it is fantastic .

    Quote Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
    Its called FilmOn Tv, its free for the most part but the quality of the video sometimes has a lot to be desired.
    FilmOn is nice, I use it for live UK TV. Its Android app has the Chromecast support making it a piece of cake to watch British TV here on a big screen TV.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    04 May 2015 #34

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    You really can't expect Microsoft to support every tiny thing forever. There are so many alternatives to WMC these days, it just doesn't make any sense for them to keep it around. The vast majority of people out there have their own dedicated DVR's or Roku's or AppleTV's or whatever... I personally use TiVo and would never bother with anything else.

    However, there are still plenty of apps out there, and i'd bet several of them are a lot better than WMC.. but of course a lot of it comes down to personal preference.
    YES I do expect support, on this one.... I Paid a hefty price to upgrade all my systems to use WMC, I expect them to honor my commitment, in using it.

    And Cable Cards are/were designed around the WMC model, nothing compares to it. Silicondust, MAY develop software (which I have hoped forever they would). Honestly, the only reason our household uses Windows was because of Media Center, but no more. You can't even play a DVD , burn or Rip CD's any longer. Windows has become a prime example of the "Peter Principle", they have stripped it down, torn out the guts, and promoted it to the level of incompetence.

    Tell me exactly, what is on the market that replaces WMC as well, for cable card usage. Nothing. Because I have looked.

    It is just like everything else with M$ they say it will be around, and BAMM, they abandon it. The only thing, I can trust about them, is that they will NEVER keep what they have produced.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    04 May 2015 #35
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    North West Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts : 450
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and VM

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Only in your world. . .
    As usual a comment from a Mac user who only give useless comments.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  6.    04 May 2015 #36
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    North West Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts : 450
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and VM

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
    Hi there

    If you like WMC why not simply keep a small dedicated VM with just that application. Current VM software is far superior these days -- decent graphics / 3D is perfectly possible from a VM now.

    While specialized gaming might still be beyond the capabilities of most VM systems - things like movies / TV / video streaming are perfectly decent when run from a VM --I run a movie streamer (Mezzmo) quite OK from a VM. Ensure your Wifi / LAN (better) performance is adequate though -- 2mb/s is about the MINIMUM for acceptable performance.

    A small dedicated VM will use fairly small resources from the Host so it's a perfectly OK way of doing these things.

    I run a VINYL CUTTING studio totally from an XP VM -- no problem at all when using a Windows 10 or Linux Host.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Don't need to Jimbo. Windows 7 has five more years. I have 2 x 8.1 licences with media center licenses. Pretty much takes care of me for about 8 years or so. I also own Workstation 11 and have numerous virtual machines. Media Center is a truly outstanding piece of work and like I said there are more users of Media Center than there are of Windows Phone and probably Windows 8 come to think of it. I have 12 computers of various ages and types all running 7 and 2 running a dual boot to 8.1. I'll manage. Now what is this Windows as a service about?
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    04 May 2015 #37
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    North West Indianapolis, Indiana
    Posts : 450
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and VM

    Quote Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
    How can free be a hard sell....
    Free as in hard sell. Why would I change? I lose functions, I lose Aero. Ten adds data mining, a stupid interface that makes your eyes bleed. God awful icons. Windows 7 is the best OS Microsoft have made yet. I paid some serious money for 7 and I am not going to give it all up for a free untested OS that tracks your every move. Adverts will be targeted to you. I may be old school in this regard but the purpose of an operating system is to interface between the user and the computer. Windows 10 does that and a hell of a lot more.
    Good luck displacing Windows 7, Microsoft, it's still growing • The Register
    Last edited by Indianatone; 05 May 2015 at 12:40.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    04 May 2015 #38
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Texas
    Posts : 10,497
    Windows 10 Pro X64

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Dude, thanks for that tip! It will not replace WMC for those using it with a TV card for live TV and DVR, but for me it is perfect. I had never heard of Emby before reading your post and then Googling it, now I have it installed and it is fantastic .


    I don't use a tv card right now. I thought it did live TV It is really nice, I use it to stream to my Roku.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    04 May 2015 #39
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 16,972
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by Trust_No1 View Post
    I Paid a hefty price to upgrade all my systems to use WMC, I expect them to honor my commitment, in using it.
    Now, that's the best objective argument I've read yet.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  10.    04 May 2015 #40
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,142
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Trust_No1 View Post
    YES I do expect support, on this one.... I Paid a hefty price to upgrade all my systems to use WMC, I expect them to honor my commitment, in using it.
    They are not removing it from the software you purchased. They are not dropping support of it in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1. It's childish to expect someone to support something that has such a tiny user base, which they have gave very strong signals was on its deathbed for at least 3 or 4 years... They were going to drop support in Windows 8, but kept it around for 8 and 8.1. It was clear that you should be looking for alternatives.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trust_No1 View Post
    And Cable Cards are/were designed around the WMC model, nothing compares to it.
    I use a CABLECARD with my TiVo just fine, and it's amazing. I can view my shows on my PC's, on my Tablets (Android and iOS and Windows 8), and I can do remote scheduling, multi-room viewing, and a whole host of features that WMC can't possibly dream of without a lot of extra help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trust_No1 View Post
    Tell me exactly, what is on the market that replaces WMC as well, for cable card usage. Nothing. Because I have looked.
    TiVo. A dedicated device is a lot better in this case.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trust_No1 View Post
    It is just like everything else with M$ they say it will be around, and BAMM, they abandon it. The only thing, I can trust about them, is that they will NEVER keep what they have produced.
    They've supported this for.. oh.. 15 years or so... They've clearly communicated their wish to kill it off for the last 5... i'd hardly call that "BAMM, abandoned".
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows Media Center
Has any one tried installing WMC on build 9926 yet? It wouldn't work on older builds.
Software and Apps
Solved Korea Media Player Center and Korea Messenger Center
During my recent upgrade of Windows 10 from one build to another, the above two programs landed on my desktop. I am, as can be seen, in the UK, and I very much regret that I do not understand and cannot read Korean, so how can I get rid of them? I...
Software and Apps
Solved Windows Media Center win-8.1 on win-10 install
Hi, Just ran into this and thought I would share, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_tp-windows_update/media-center-on-windows-10-technical-preview/6e393795-b9c9-4d27-b693-d9eddc293d09 Might be something/ might be nothing...
General Support
Windows Media Center
I've just tested and I was able to add Media Center to Windows 10 with my Windows 8 media center key :party: Although my desktop watermark now shows as Windows 8.1 with media center.
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums