Upgrade Analytics is now available as a Public Preview. You can either add it to an existing OMS workspace or you can sign up for a new OMS workspace
with the Upgrade Analytics solution enabled.
Data generated by Upgrade Analytics is not counted towards your OMS quota, so you can use a free-tier OMS workspace for Upgrade Analytics. There will be no extra charges generated by Upgrade Analytics data if you are using a Standard of Premium tier workspace.
Once you have an OMS workspace with the Upgrade Analytics solution enabled, there are a couple of steps you need to take in order to see your organization’s data in Upgrade Analytics. These are described in detail in the Upgrade Analytics documentation
on TechNet. On a high level, you need to do the following:
1) Generate a Commercial ID in OMS and link it to your OMS workspace
2) Make sure you have the correct ‘Compatibility Update’ installed on your user computers
3) Review your firewall configuration and allow access to the service
4) Configure the your user computers with the Commercial ID and an Opt In flag so data can be linked to your OMS workspace
5) Kick off a data collection run
Once the data is sent, it will usually show up in Upgrade Analytics within 48 hours.
As an IT Pro you decide whether or not data is sent to the service. Data is only sent from Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 computers if the Opt In flag is set as described in step 4 or the computers are opted in to the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP). Set Windows 10 computers to at least the ‘Basic’ telemetry level in order to allow them to send data to the service. You can find information about the data points sent to the service in the TechNet documentation.
I will publish more information on how to use the data in Upgrade Analytics in a future blog post.
If you have questions or feedback, feel free to use the comments below.