Windows 10: Microsoft Removes Classic Theme Support in Windows 10 Build 10074

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
  1.    01 May 2015 #41

    Cliff S said: View Post
    Mystere,
    I have a question you could probably answer for me, In the end which will be more secure the desktop(or Win32) or the Universal apps?
    I was thinking the Universal because of the sandboxing. And with being able to resize the Universal apps they actually are no different now for the user experience than the software we have been using for years.
    Or if you already posted on this, just direct me there.
    Well, as always, the answer is "It depends". In theory, yes, Universal apps are sandboxed and should be much more secure. In practice, there will always be OS bugs that can be exploited, and it will only be a matter of time before someone figures out a way to do so... However, this should be a lot more work, and bugs should be less likely to cascade into granting greater access... but its hard to say.

    Security is always a back and forth between the good guys and the bad guys.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 111
    Win 10 Preview
       01 May 2015 #42

    whs said: View Post
    In parts you are right. But the modus operandi is quite different whether you operate with a touch screen or a mouse and keyboard. And for a desktop the touchscreen makes little sense. I have a laptop with a touchscreen. That touch has never been used.

    The single OS strategy makes sense for MS - after 35 years in operating system development I know what that implies. Whether it makes sense for the end user is another question. The modern UI settings - besides the fact that parts don't work - are an unnecessary level of indirection for a mouse user. I usually have to click thru more levels than with a true desktop UI - example Personalize. Try to make a high contrast theme with your own color settings in build 10074.
    Talking about touch screen, i don't understand why on build 10074 MS makes default settings for touch pad,where most PC's don't have touch pad, one of my Hp DV6 laptops did not even installed build 10074, on the other HP DV 5 with same motherboard it installed and gave me a freeze and error DPC watchdog violation,i had to disable touch pad.
    Shouldn't Updates recognize if PC has touch pad or not? instead of causing 10074 build not to be installed or give you an despicable error like DPC watchdog violation,
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 14,305
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       01 May 2015 #43

    silv55 said: View Post
    Talking about touch screen, i don't understand why on build 10074 MS makes default settings for touch pad,where most PC's don't have touch pad, one of my Hp DV6 laptops did not even installed build 10074, on the other HP DV 5 with same motherboard it installed and gave me a freeze and error DPC watchdog violation,i had to disable touch pad.
    Shouldn't Updates recognize if PC has touch pad or not? instead of causing 10074 build not to be installed or give you an despicable error like DPC watchdog violation,
    Build 10074 installed both the mouse and touchpad drivers, but hid the touchpad from me. I had to unplug the mouse and let it discover the touchpad before I could even disable the blasted thing! And yes, I gave feedback from a very nasty touchpad! Won't do that again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 814
    Windows 10 Home/10 Pro x 3/Windows 10 Insider Preview ?
       01 May 2015 #44

    Since this is a thread about "Classic Theme Support" I just found this really helpful post by tracit99 in another thread to access the old Color Mixer settings.

    Solved Windows 10TP build 10074 impressions.. - Page 8 - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 111
    Win 10 Preview
       01 May 2015 #45

    Wynona said: View Post
    Build 10074 installed both the mouse and touchpad drivers, but hid the touchpad from me. I had to unplug the mouse and let it discover the touchpad before I could even disable the blasted thing! And yes, I gave feedback from a very nasty touchpad! Won't do that again.

    Wynona can we uninstall touch pad drivers?

    there is this( Synaptic pointing drivers) installed,are these drivers for touch pad or for both touch pad and mouse or for none of these?
    Last edited by silv55; 01 May 2015 at 13:34.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 14,899
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393, Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Update, Ubuntu
       01 May 2015 #46

    Wynona said: View Post
    Build 10074 installed both the mouse and touchpad drivers, but hid the touchpad from me. I had to unplug the mouse and let it discover the touchpad before I could even disable the blasted thing! And yes, I gave feedback from a very nasty touchpad! Won't do that again.
    But isn't it a good thing that it detects how you have your PC currently setup and make that the default to start with? One can always polish up later...
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 92
    64-bit 10240 10 Pro
       01 May 2015 #47

    I got this build from The Insiders Group and I am using The Classic Shell without any issues. The only thing is that most everything has to be changed in The Control Panel which could be a good thing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 14,305
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       01 May 2015 #48

    silv55 said: View Post
    Wynona can we unistall touch pad dribers?

    there is this( Synaptic pointing drivers) installed,are these drivers for touch pad or for both touch pad and mouse or for none of these?
    I don't know if we can uninstall touchpad drivers, but I'd be careful doing that if we can.

    Yes, the Synaptic pointing drivers are the touchpad; however, I'm pretty sure there would be different ones for different laptops. So I wouldn't go installing the first one I came across.

    Back around Build 9926 or so, I could see both my mouse and touchpad drivers. All I had to do was go into touchpad properties and tell it to disable itself if it found a mouse present. Not so now!

    This time, I had to unplug the dongle for the wireless mouse before Build 10074 would show me the touchpad. Once there, the only thing available was to disable the touchpad. Of course, then, it wouldn't work, so I had to plug the dongle back in. Duh!

    I'm not sure what the difference is, but so far, that's what I've seen. I have a couple more laptops I need to check out for the same problems before moving on from this one.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 14,305
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       01 May 2015 #49

    Cliff S said: View Post
    But isn't it a good thing that it detects how you have your PC currently setup and make that the default to start with? One can always polish up later...
    Installing drivers for both the mouse and touchpad would be a good thing, Cliff, if Windows would let me see the touchpad properties.

    What happens is that when both the mouse "this is" and touchpad are active, using the mouse shoots the cursor all over the place. If I'm typing and brush the touchpad with my hand, the cursor spurts off and what I'm typing lands somewhere else entirely than where I was typing.

    Does that make any sense at all? OK, let me see if I can make it clearer. I'm typing "this is" and accidentally brush the touchpad . . . my text squirts up and "this is" pops into the above text as illustrated.

    If I disable the touchpador disable the touchpad when a mouse is present, the text I'm typing is put in its proper place, like this sentence I've just typed.

    And, since Build 10074 hid the touchpad from me when the mouse is present, I couldn't disable it and had all kinds of problems keeping my text where it belongs.

    Edit: Oh, and as to polishing up later . . . I could live with that, if I could have found the touchpad properties.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 14,899
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393, Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Update, Ubuntu
       01 May 2015 #50

    Wynona said: View Post
    Installing drivers for both the mouse and touchpad would be a good thing, Cliff, if Windows would let me see the touchpad properties.

    What happens is that when both the mouse "this is" and touchpad are active, using the mouse shoots the cursor all over the place. If I'm typing and brush the touchpad with my hand, the cursor spurts off and what I'm typing lands somewhere else entirely than where I was typing.

    Does that make any sense at all? OK, let me see if I can make it clearer. I'm typing "this is" and accidentally brush the touchpad . . . my text squirts up and "this is" pops into the above text as illustrated.

    If I disable the touchpador disable the touchpad when a mouse is present, the text I'm typing is put in its proper place, like this sentence I've just typed.

    And, since Build 10074 hid the touchpad from me when the mouse is present, I couldn't disable it and had all kinds of problems keeping my text where it belongs.

    Edit: Oh, and as to polishing up later . . . I could live with that, if I could have found the touchpad properties.
    I know what you mean, instead of disabling I set my touchpad sensitivity to where a gorilla couldn't move it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thJJIGMG4P.jpg 
Views:	346 
Size:	3.7 KB 
ID:	18154
    And if my wireless mouse starts getting buggy for some reason, I just switch to an older mouse on a leash
      My ComputersSystem Spec


 
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Related Threads
Full ZDNet article: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-commits-to-10-year-support-lifecycle-for-windows-10/ Microsoft support lifecycle for Windows: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle
How to Change the Theme of Microsoft Edge in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser added in Windows 10, and will be available across the Windows 10 device family. It is fast, compatible, and built for the modern Web. Windows 10 has a...
Hello everyone. I tried to install custom themes on my laptop running W10 TP 9926. Firstly i tried to install this theme THEMECLICK I did install uxstyle defined there. And used Ribbon Disabler. Than everything worked fine but after restarting...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43.
Find Us