Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14393 for PC and Mobile Insider

Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 125260616263 LastLast

  1. Posts : 17,661
    Windows 10 Pro
       #610

    Kari said:
    Digital entitlement tests continue. At the moment I've done upgrade from 7 to 10 before the free upgrade offer ended three times, then rolled back to 7 three times. No issues. Both 7 and 10 activation OK every time.

    After last roll back to 7 I now get this:


    Since that I have in-place upgraded to 10 twice, activation OK. After last upgrade this morning (it's Saturday here already), Recovery options in Settings still shows I have 30 days to roll back to 7. If the roll back 30 day grace period was counted from first upgrade it should show 28 days now instead.

    If it continues to work like this it's like a very slow version of dual boot; If using 7 and want to boot 10 you need to upgrade which in this machine's case takes 40 minutes. Then when wanting to boot to 7 roll back takes 10 minutes (surprisingly fast!).
    UPDATE:

    I've now upgraded and rolled back more times as I can count. The bad news: none. The good news: every time I again upgrade after rolling back, I am given a brand new one month grace period to roll back to Windows 7.

    Seems that when the digital entitlement is once granted, it's there. Done deal. Seems also that there's no limit in number of roll backs / re-upgrades. A scenario I could think of is that a user upgrades to 10 only to see that a certain device driver is still not available, rolls back to 7 or 8.1 and keeps upgrading / rolling back every now and then until the driver will be available and found by Windows Update.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 16,325
    W10Prox64
       #611

    Kari said:
    UPDATE:

    I've now upgraded and rolled back more times as I can count. The bad news: none. The good news: every time I again upgrade after rolling back, I am given a brand new one month grace period to roll back to Windows 7.

    Seems that when the digital entitlement is once granted, it's there. Done deal. Seems also that there's no limit in number of roll backs / re-upgrades. A scenario I could think of is that a user upgrades to 10 only to see that a certain device driver is still not available, rolls back to 7 or 8.1 and keeps upgrading / rolling back every now and then until the driver will be available and found by Windows Update.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1,983
    Windows 10 x86 14383 Insider Pro and Core 10240
       #612

    Kari said:
    UPDATE:

    I've now upgraded and rolled back more times as I can count. The bad news: none. The good news: every time I again upgrade after rolling back, I am given a brand new one month grace period to roll back to Windows 7.

    Seems that when the digital entitlement is once granted, it's there. Done deal. Seems also that there's no limit in number of roll backs / re-upgrades. A scenario I could think of is that a user upgrades to 10 only to see that a certain device driver is still not available, rolls back to 7 or 8.1 and keeps upgrading / rolling back every now and then until the driver will be available and found by Windows Update.
    If that's it, its going to be a sad existence for that user.

    Miss Haversham (Great Expectations) springs to mind, trapped in the eternal misery of being left standing at the altar.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 17,661
    Windows 10 Pro
       #613

    Fafhrd said:
    If that's it, its going to be a sad existence for that user.

    Miss Haversham (Great Expectations) springs to mind, trapped in the eternal misery of being left standing at the altar.
    That imaginary scenario was based on those countless threads here and all around the Interwebs starting to emerge late last week where various OPs complain that they missed the free upgrade because their hardware manufacturer's didn't have working drivers.

    Of course in my opinion it's their own fault, these users have chosen wrong hardware.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 68,836
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
    Thread Starter
       #614

    #WindowsInsiders: if you have 14393 you have the latest Mobile build. So relax. We're now going offline to do a #WINsider4Good project.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 3,954
    64-bit Win10 Pro Insider Build 19569
       #615

    cheers, Dona/Brink..
    - everything's ticketty-boo..
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 5,286
    Win 10 Pro x64
       #616

    Kari said:
    UPDATE:

    I've now upgraded and rolled back more times as I can count. The bad news: none. The good news: every time I again upgrade after rolling back, I am given a brand new one month grace period to roll back to Windows 7.

    Seems that when the digital entitlement is once granted, it's there. Done deal. Seems also that there's no limit in number of roll backs / re-upgrades. A scenario I could think of is that a user upgrades to 10 only to see that a certain device driver is still not available, rolls back to 7 or 8.1 and keeps upgrading / rolling back every now and then until the driver will be available and found by Windows Update.
    I am upgrading an upgraded Win 7 to 1607 and I got this warning:

    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14393 for PC and Mobile-2016_08_02_22_19_481.png
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 2,832
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       #617

    Hi,

    I am upgrading an upgraded Win 7 to 1607 and I got this warning:
    They're really trying hard to lock it down but frankly I can hardly believe that message.
    What it should say is that if you roll back to W7 now you may loose your entitlement to W10's free upgrade.
    Doesn't that make more sense ?

    Cheers,
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 17,661
    Windows 10 Pro
       #618

    badrobot said:
    I am upgrading an upgraded Win 7 to 1607 and I got this warning:

    fdegrove said:
    They're really trying hard to lock it down but frankly I can hardly believe that message.
    What it should say is that if you roll back to W7 now you may loose your entitlement to W10's free upgrade.
    Doesn't that make more sense ?
    No, that is true. I am desperately trying to find the article I read about this. It is not possible to roll back to Windows 7 and 8.1 from Anniversary Update. If you want to keep that possibility you need to upgrade to 1511, make a system image then upgrade to 1607. When you then want to roll back you need first restore the 1511 image, then roll back.

    I keep looking the article, will post the link when I found it. There's easy way for you to test this Badrobot, launch upgrade from 1511 ISO and that warning is not shown.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 16,325
    W10Prox64
       #619

    Kari said:
    No, that is true. I am desperately trying to find the article I read about this. It is not possible to roll back to Windows 7 and 8.1 from Anniversary Update. If you want to keep that possibility you need to upgrade to 1511, make a system image then upgrade to 1607. When you then want to roll back you need first restore the 1511 image, then roll back.

    I keep looking the article, will post the link when I found it. There's easy way for you to test this Badrobot, launch upgrade from 1511 ISO and that warning is not shown.
    I remember reading that as well, Kari. No idea where though.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:32.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums