Windows 10: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14393 for PC and Mobile Insider

Page 54 of 63 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast
  1.    29 Jul 2016 #531

    Worked this time now that I have the correct hive listed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    29 Jul 2016 #532

    Superfly said: View Post
    Yah, I know it's irrelevant, But humour me ... wanna figure why the user name change occurs
    Not sure if its relevant, but lately, I've noticed a some of the customization options are missing from the setup menu. PC name for instance. Your PC gets some weird name that I always end up changing manually after I've finished installing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    29 Jul 2016 #533

    Hi,

    Superfly said: View Post
    Yah, I know it's irrelevant, But humour me ... wanna figure why the user name change occurs
    No clue on the details but I guess it depends on how you install and on what info is already there. Basically a clean install will give you a "Windows User". An upgrade install may retain the true user info if at all present as far as I can tell.


    Cheers,
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,721
    Windows 10 x86 14383 Insider Pro and Core 10240
       29 Jul 2016 #534

    Upgraded to 14393.5 today, which seems to be running considerably cooler, and without a hitch, on my old Pentium 4 Prescott (which never runs very cool anyway) than some of the previous Insider builds.

    I guess some development and debugging code has been cleaned out.

    With 14376.0 it could reach over 100C when the CPU peaked, so I never used it much - now it's back to its more usual 60C-70C range, similar to XP CPU temperatures in use (measured with SpeedFan).

    As a 12 year old system it sure is a tough old bird!
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    29 Jul 2016 #535

    fdegrove said: View Post
    Hi,



    No clue on the details but I guess it depends on how you install and on what info is already there. Basically a clean install will give you a "Windows User". An upgrade install may retain the true user info if at all present as far as I can tell.


    Cheers,
    My current Insider Preview install was a clean install, it shows Windows User.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    29 Jul 2016 #536

    Hi,

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Not sure if its relevant, but lately, I've noticed a some of the customization options are missing from the setup menu. PC name for instance. Your PC gets some weird name that I always end up changing manually after I've finished installing.
    That too is just random name giving by the install procedure to make sure the name is unique. Not important on a standalone pc but it becomes important when you join a domain or even a workgroup. Hence the automation.

    Again changing the name has no impact unless you have a network and say a machine where you have at least two Win10 installs with the same machine name on it. No idea whether that would cause a clash using W10 but it certainly did on W7 and earlier.

    Cheers,
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  7.    29 Jul 2016 #537

    fdegrove said: View Post
    Hi,



    No clue on the details but I guess it depends on how you install and on what info is already there. Basically a clean install will give you a "Windows User". An upgrade install may retain the true user info if at all present as far as I can tell.


    Cheers,
    OK thanks bud, just curious.. will check it out in a bit...

    Fafhrd said: View Post
    Upgraded to 14393.5 today, which seems to be running considerably cooler, and without a hitch, on my old Pentium 4 Prescott (which never runs very cool anyway) than some of the previous Insider builds.

    I guess some development and debugging code has been cleaned out.

    With 14376.0 it could reach over 100C when the CPU peaked, so I never used it much - now it's back to its more usual 60C-70C range, similar to XP CPU temperatures in use (measured with SpeedFan).

    As a 12-13 year old system it sure is a tough old bird!
    Hmmm some optimization then... good - nice that they are working on the the nut's-'n-bolts than just feed the GUI hungry (sorry if that sounds crass)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    29 Jul 2016 #538

    fdegrove said: View Post
    Hi,



    That too is just random name giving by the install procedure to make sure the name is unique. Not important on a standalone pc but it becomes important when you join a domain or even a workgroup. Hence the automation.

    Again changing the name has no impact unless you have a network and say a machine where you have at least two Win10 installs with the same machine name on it. No idea whether that would cause a clash using W10 but it certainly did on W7 and earlier.

    Cheers,
    Changing the name to something I can remember, makes it easier to remote desktop into that PC. I like to use the motherboard model number, M4N68 etc.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    29 Jul 2016 #539

    fdegrove said: View Post
    Hi,



    That too is just random name giving by the install procedure to make sure the name is unique. Not important on a standalone pc but it becomes important when you join a domain or even a workgroup. Hence the automation.

    Again changing the name has no impact unless you have a network and say a machine where you have at least two Win10 installs with the same machine name on it. No idea whether that would cause a clash using W10 but it certainly did on W7 and earlier.

    Cheers,
    Forgot to mention. That name also shows up under devices under you Microsoft ID online account. I have no idea which PC is which with the names auto assigned.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 12,199
    W10Prox64
       29 Jul 2016 #540

    cereberus said: View Post
    I do not think it works exactly like that with digital licences as far as I can tell.

    This post is based on VMWARE installs.

    If you create a vm and activate it with a valid 7/8 product key, you get a digital licence for that vm, tied to that VMs "virtual mobo" id.

    I am pretty sure the "virtual mobo" id is not the same as the hardware signature, but as nobody knows how mobo ids work, no way to prove it other than observation of what happens as follows:-

    When you create a second vm, and install windows 10 without a key, it does not activate - thus the "virtual mobo" id must be different.

    Additionally, if you copy a vm, stating it has moved, the installed windows 10 remains activated ie the "virtual mobo" id is unchanged.

    If you copy a vm saying it has been copied, the installed windows 10 becomes unactivated ie the "virtual mobo" id must have changed.

    So a second VM is not like a dual boot - it is like a totally different machine.

    If you create a dual boot option in original VM, it does activate automatically (ignoring EULA issues) as the "virtual mobo" id is the same.
    This is identical to dual booting on host and I know this works (you may recall some posts on this).

    The key (pardon the pun) question is if the VM is transferred to another PC stating it has been moved (not copied), does the "virtual mobo" id change? Unfortunately, I only have one pc capable of virtualisation to test it, but I am guessing it would work ok. If not, the new activation troubleshooter should work anyway.
    I have to say, I have not found that to be the case.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 54 of 63 FirstFirst ... 4445253545556 ... LastLast

Related Threads
UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
745376304942350337 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 14371 | Windows Experience Blog How to Update to Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Builds for Phones
723527224192692229 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14328 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog How to Update to Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Builds for Phones
Windows 10 Mobile Build 10586.122 is now available for Windows Insiders in the Slow and Release Preview rings. 705091449893703681 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10586.122 | Windows Experience Blog
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:38.
Find Us