Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
  1.    15 Jul 2016 #41
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Stockport UK
    Posts : 2,523
    Wndows 10 x64 Home version 1709

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Waste of time and bandwidth.
    Wouldn't a simple patch do?
    I'm tiring of it.
    I agree Edwin.
    Seems to me that these small bugfixes could be supplied through a Cumulative Update.

    However the code being changed may require otherwise.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    15 Jul 2016 #42
    Join Date : Mar 2015
    Posts : 2,262
    Win10 Pro Build 17017

    - all in..
    - aok
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    15 Jul 2016 #43
    Join Date : Apr 2014
    Posts : 626
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (14971)

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Waste of time and bandwidth.
    Wouldn't a simple patch do?
    I'm tiring of it.
    Then opt out - it's quite easy! Final release is just a couple of weeks away...

    I seriously doubt they would unleash a full build if a simple patch/update would fix it. Who knows what other optimizations, tweaks, preparing for release, etc. kind of stuff was done.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    15 Jul 2016 #44
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,042
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Abbreviated version:
    Got home from work at 23:45,
    Saw Shawn's post,
    fired up the VM,
    immediately checked for updates,
    nabbed on the first check
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 003.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	90329
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    15 Jul 2016 #45
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    Then opt out - it's quite easy! Final release is just a couple of weeks away...

    I seriously doubt they would unleash a full build if a simple patch/update would fix it. Who knows what other optimizations, tweaks, preparing for release, etc. kind of stuff was done.
    I agree. MS still needs to keep on testing the full upgrade process and not just use a patch.

    BTW, All done..

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	2 
Size:	263.4 KB 
ID:	90331
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    15 Jul 2016 #46
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,692
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Waste of time and bandwidth.
    Wouldn't a simple patch do?
    I'm tiring of it.
    You know of course you don't have to get every build. Read the blog post about new build and read other members opinions before deciding. Let the downloaded upgrade just stay there, moving the automatic install date up for a few days:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_07_15_22_04_171.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	90327

    When that day comes and you have not decided yet, move the restart again.

    While the upgrade is sitting there, you can restart and shutdown without executing the upgrade:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_07_15_22_05_202.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	90328

    If then a new build arrives before you have decided, run Disk Clean-up selecting Clean up system files, then selecting Temporary Windows installation files to remove the upgrade files:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_07_15_22_08_173.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	90330

    Windows Update still thinks the upgrade is there; click the Restart button in Settings / Update, Windows restarts and fails to upgrade because the required files are missing. When back on desktop, let Windows Update download the next build which it will now find instantly, and start the thought process again

    Simple. I call this "My Ring", deciding myself when and which build to install.

    I admit, though, opting out or switching to slow ring is even simpler.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    15 Jul 2016 #47
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 17,042
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    You know of course you don't have to get every build. Read the blog post about new build and read other members opinions before deciding. Let the downloaded upgrade just stay there, moving the automatic install date up for a few days:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_07_15_22_04_171.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	90327

    When that day comes and you have not decided yet, move the restart again.

    While the upgrade is sitting there, you can restart and shutdown without executing the upgrade:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_07_15_22_05_202.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	90328

    If then a new build arrives before you have decided, run Disk Clean-up selecting Clean up system files, then selecting Temporary Windows installation files to remove the upgrade files:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016_07_15_22_08_173.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	90330

    Windows Update still thinks the upgrade is there; click the Restart button in Settings / Update, Windows restarts and fails to upgrade because the required files are missing. When back on desktop, let Windows Update download the next build which it will now find, and start the thought process again

    Simple. I call this "My Ring", deciding myself when and which build to install.

    I admit, though, opting out or switching to slow ring is even simpler.
    But not "Geeky" enough for you, right?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    15 Jul 2016 #48
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    But not "Geeky" enough for you, right?
    Well,, not geeky enough for me either. MS is firing down a lot of insider builds but heck.,.. it was stated at the start of this year that the fast ring would become. "fast" and it's just that now.

    I bet when Aug comes the builds will slow down to the previous pace,
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    15 Jul 2016 #49
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,692
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    But not "Geeky" enough for you, right?
    No, I really have reasons for this "My Ring" instead of switching to Slow Ring: First, this way I get all builds as soon as they are released. Second, if I switch to Slow Ring or opt out and then a new interesting build arrives which I want, switching back to Fast Ring might take a few days before I would get the new build.

    "My Ring" is Fast Ring on steroids, offering each build but letting me to decide which and when to install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    15 Jul 2016 #50
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,183
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Waste of time and bandwidth.
    Wouldn't a simple patch do?
    I'm tiring of it.
    I think it has more to do with whether update/upgrade to next version works or not. As we can see, there are still some whose computers refuse to cooperate, so there's more work for MS to do.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14376 for PC and Mobile
747912960643731456 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14376 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog PC:
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 & Mobile Build 14364
UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Mobile Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10586.164
Windows 10 Mobile build 10586.164 is now live for WindowsInsiders in the Slow and Release Preview rings. 707269238398947328 How to Update to Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Builds for Phones
Windows 10 News
Mobile Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10586.71
694219598275588096 UPDATE: 695366743150100480 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10586.71 | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Mobile Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10536
Source: Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10536 | Blogging Windows 644038489013682176
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:09.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums