Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Apr 2014
    Posts : 599
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (14971)
       15 Jul 2016 #31

    Wynona said: View Post
    Just started downloading.
    I got you beat... I just started downloading... for the second time! Yes, it's doing the same thing the last 3 builds have done - download, prepare for install, restart, goes to x%, reboots to previous build. Sign in to previous build, immediately start downloading (slowly) from the very beginning. If it's like the last 3, this time the process will go normally. Getting tired of it, though.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Apr 2014
    Posts : 599
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (14971)
       15 Jul 2016 #32

    thegeriatric said: View Post
    Mine was slower as well!! and at my speed that hurts.
    Same here, especially when the whole thing downloads, restart, upgrade fails, and it immediately starts downloading the WHOLE THING from the beginning. Getting very tired of it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2015
    Posts : 1,388
    Windows 10 Pro X64
       15 Jul 2016 #33

    Hi,

    sgage said: View Post
    I got you beat... I just started downloading... for the second time! Yes, it's doing the same thing the last 3 builds have done - download, prepare for install, restart, goes to x%, reboots to previous build. Sign in to previous build, immediately start downloading (slowly) from the very beginning. If it's like the last 3, this time the process will go normally. Getting tired of it, though.
    That happened to me two on the me to when I restarted using the start button, "Upgrade and Restart" or vice versa on the two builds before .388.
    On 388 I tried the restart option from within Settings, WU and that worked without a glitch.

    Still waiting for .390 now.....

    Cheers,
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 196
    Release + Insider Preview Home Build 15002
       15 Jul 2016 #34

    sgage said: View Post
    Same here, especially when the whole thing downloads, restart, upgrade fails, and it immediately starts downloading the WHOLE THING from the beginning. Getting very tired of it.
    Maybe trying emptying out the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution Folder and restarting the download the process from the very beginning with no files to begin with? It could be a problem with trying to install incomplete files and thus failing...who knows?

    In order to do this, you will have to first go to an elevated command prompt and type in these commands:

    net stop wuauserv
    net stop bits
    Empty out the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder.

    If any files remain in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, restart your computer.

    After restarting, once again go to an elevated command prompt, type in the two commands mentioned above:

    net stop wuauserv
    net stop bits
    Delete the remaining files in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, and then restart the Windows Update Components by typing in: the following commands in an elevated command prompt window:

    net start wuauserv
    net start bits
    Go back to settings and check for updates. See if this fixes the problem...

    Hope this helps!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Apr 2014
    Posts : 599
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (14971)
       15 Jul 2016 #35

    Thanks - I will file this and try it in future. This one is 25% downloaded, and I'm just going to see what happens - typically the second try has been working...

    rogerwilco91 said: View Post
    Maybe trying emptying out the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution Folder and restarting the download the process from the very beginning with no files to begin with? It could be a problem with trying to install incomplete files and thus failing...who knows?

    In order to do this, you will have to first go to an elevated command prompt and type in these commands:




    Empty out the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder.

    If any files remain in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, restart your computer.

    After restarting, once again go to an elevated command prompt, type in the two commands mentioned above:




    Delete the remaining files in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, and then restart the Windows Update Components by typing in: the following commands in an elevated command prompt window:




    Go back to settings and check for updates. See if this fixes the problem...

    Hope this helps!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2013
    Posts : 17,402
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 15007
       15 Jul 2016 #36

    rogerwilco91 said: View Post
    Maybe trying emptying out the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution Folder and restarting the download the process from the very beginning with no files to begin with? It could be a problem with trying to install incomplete files and thus failing...who knows?

    In order to do this, you will have to first go to an elevated command prompt and type in these commands:




    Empty out the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder.

    If any files remain in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, restart your computer.

    After restarting, once again go to an elevated command prompt, type in the two commands mentioned above:




    Delete the remaining files in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, and then restart the Windows Update Components by typing in: the following commands in an elevated command prompt window:




    Go back to settings and check for updates. See if this fixes the problem...

    Hope this helps!
    If you like, you could use the .bat file in the tutorial below to make resetting Windows Update easier.

    Windows Update - Reset in Windows 10
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 196
    Release + Insider Preview Home Build 15002
       15 Jul 2016 #37

    sgage said: View Post
    Thanks - I will file this and try it in future. This one is 25% downloaded, and I'm just going to see what happens - typically the second try has been working...
    That makes sense. Hopefully, the second try is the charm. If not, just keep my tip in mind. You never know when corrupted files are being downloaded incorrectly or incompletely even when WU thinks the files are downloaded perfectly fine. There is no file check validation that happens when the updates are downloaded (as far as I know), so file integrity could be a problem...

    Good luck!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 23,934
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       15 Jul 2016 #38

    I had a nice nap and now getting this build.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Mar 2015
    Stockport UK
    Posts : 1,231
    Wndows 10 x64 Home
       15 Jul 2016 #39

    sgage said: View Post
    Same here, especially when the whole thing downloads, restart, upgrade fails, and it immediately starts downloading the WHOLE THING from the beginning. Getting very tired of it.
    That makes me happy Not really sgage, but it's nice to hear I'm not the only one.

    The same thing happened for build 14388 but it took three times to install correctly. This time it only took two because after the first failed install I remembered that on the download I with build 14388 I only got it downloaded cleanly by Pausing Protection in ESET Nod32 AV. Strange but then I am using a beta of Nod32.

    May be of no relevance but it made me wonder.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14390.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	90324
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10.    15 Jul 2016 #40

    Improvements and fixes for PC

    You should no longer see the error code 0x80004005 when enabling Developer Mode on the “For Developers” Settings page if your PC is using a non-EN-US language.
    Waste of time and bandwidth.
    Wouldn't a simple patch do?
    I'm tiring of it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14376 for PC and Mobile
747912960643731456 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14376 for PC and Mobile | Windows Experience Blog PC:
Windows 10 News
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 & Mobile Build 14364
UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Mobile Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10586.164
Windows 10 Mobile build 10586.164 is now live for WindowsInsiders in the Slow and Release Preview rings. 707269238398947328 How to Update to Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Builds for Phones
Windows 10 News
Mobile Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10586.71
694219598275588096 UPDATE: 695366743150100480 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10586.71 | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Mobile Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10536
Source: Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10536 | Blogging Windows 644038489013682176
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:16.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums