Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14385 for PC and Mobile Insider

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
  1. Edwin's Avatar
    Posts : 15,441
    Windows 10
       #70

    Wynona said:
    So, you're saying you get a black screen when you press Shift:Ctrl:Right Click?
    Press and hold Shift and Ctrl while right clicking an empty space on the Taskbar reveals the "Exit Explorer" feature;
    if you exit explorer you will get a black screen, then press Ctrl/Alt/Delete to either sign out and back in or run Task Manager to invoke File Explorer again.
      My Computer

  2. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 25,901
    Windows 10 1909 Build 18363.657
       #71

    Edwin said:
    Press and hold Shift and Ctrl while right clicking an empty space on the Taskbar reveals the "Exit Explorer" feature;
    if you exit explorer you will get a black screen, then press Ctrl/Alt/Delete to either sign out and back in or run Task Manager to invoke File Explorer again.
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I gots it now! I missed the "empty space on the Taskbar" bit.

    So, explain to me the usefulness of this one again? Other than turning one's screen black (maybe to discourage prying eyes?), I'm not really understanding it. :)
      My Computer

  3. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 24,325
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #72

    Wynona said:
    So, you're saying you get a black screen when you press Shift:Ctrl:Right Click?
    Desktop is a folder/UI in File Explorer, you exit Explorer, well.. you can use shortcuts to use/bring up programs that are in your system try, but that's it. That's how I got the screenshot, I have PicPick on, in my system tray, starting at boot.
      My Computers

  4. sgage's Avatar
    Posts : 1,073
    Windows 10 Pro (Build 18362.418)
       #73

    Wynona said:
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I gots it now! I missed the "empty space on the Taskbar" bit.

    So, explain to me the usefulness of this one again? Other than turning one's screen black (maybe to discourage prying eyes?), I'm not really understanding it. :)
    The purpose is to see how many people spot it, and if they click it. When you click it, just before the screen turns black it activates your camera, so when the screen turns black it can take a picture of the look on your face and send it back to Redmond with the next batch of telemetry.
      My Computer

  5. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 25,901
    Windows 10 1909 Build 18363.657
       #74

    Cliff S said:
    Desktop is a folder/UI in File Explorer, you exit Explorer, well.. you can use shortcuts to use/bring up programs that are in your system try, but that's it. That's how I got the screenshot, I have PicPick on, in my system tray, starting at boot.
    Once Edwin broke his instructions down into little bitty pieces, I got the same result you did, Cliff. Just a little slow on the uptake, but I'm pretty sure I won't be the only one, so maybe I (inadvertently) helped someone else with my confusion.
      My Computer

  6. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 25,901
    Windows 10 1909 Build 18363.657
       #75

    sgage said:
    The purpose is to see how many people spot it, and if they click it. When you click it, just before the screen turns black it activates your camera, so when the screen turns black it can take a picture of the look on your face and send it back to Redmond with the next batch of telemetry.
    Aha! I knew there was some Microsoft subterfuge in there somewhere!
      My Computer

  7. Edwin's Avatar
    Posts : 15,441
    Windows 10
       #76

    Wynona said:
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I gots it now! I missed the "empty space on the Taskbar" bit.

    So, explain to me the usefulness of this one again? Other than turning one's screen black (maybe to discourage prying eyes?), I'm not really understanding it. :)
    There are a number of commands that require you to exit Explorer whilst keeping the Command Prompt open.
      My Computer


  8. AndreTen's Avatar
    Posts : 20,724
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)
       #77

    Wynona said:
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I gots it now! I missed the "empty space on the Taskbar" bit.

    So, explain to me the usefulness of this one again? Other than turning one's screen black (maybe to discourage prying eyes?), I'm not really understanding it. :)
    Almost a year ago, there were some builds, that constantly came up with frozen Start menu etc. Exit explorer was as efficient as restart.
    Not so useful anymore (lucky us) :)

    Edit: see above for more wise opinion...
      My Computers

  9. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 25,901
    Windows 10 1909 Build 18363.657
       #78

    Edwin said:
    There are a number of commands that require you to exit Explorer whist keeping the Command Prompt open.
    OK, but not this one, I take it. :) Especially in light of Cliff's discovery and my confirmation.
      My Computer

  10. Cliff S's Avatar
    Posts : 24,325
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       #79

    Edwin said:
    There are a number of commands that require you to exit Explorer whilst keeping the Command Prompt open.
    For example Resetting Notification Area Icons: Notification Area Icons - Reset in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    3. Close and save anything that you are working on before proceeding. The next steps will involve killing explorer and restarting the PC.
    @Brink's batch file will do it for you when you press "any key"(after you are warned to close any running programs and save your work).
      My Computers


 

Related Threads
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:38.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums