Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1.    05 Jul 2016 #41
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 391
    Windows 10

    I do not believe Microsoft will ever do this to general consumers.

    All current devices, even the ones with the free upgrade, have permanent licenses with the implication that they will not be forcibly deactivated ever. Microsoft may eventually stop pushing updates, but not until the devices and OS are horribly out of date - and the whole point of Windows 10 is to have one version that is never horrible obsolete.

    All consumer devices sold now are sold with the expectation of being fully usable as soon as you bring it home. I do not believe that will ever change, as the vast majority of users are kinda stupid adverse to tinkering with a device that exists solely as a portal to the internet and their data. Having consumers bring their shiny new "WinThing" home only to find out that they must spend a monthly or annual fee to continue using it would be an unpleasant surprise, and would have such an adverse response that any theoretical profit from the move would be swallowed by a brush with bankruptcy for everyone involved.

    It does, however, make sense for companies with a full-fledged IT department. The majority of the time a company will buy a ****ton of computers with a Windows license, then wipe them all and install a different version of Windows that they paid for separately. They can save money buy buying computers with no preinstalled license, and just add them all to a pool of Windows systems then just pay to license the systems they actively use. Economy is in a downturn and you laid off a quarter of your workforce? Shut off the unneeded computers and save on Windows licensing fees. Business is booming? Fire up those old computers and reactivate their licenses. You can even let licenses flow from unused systems to used systems if your needs are changing around (I don't know, local stations that are only manned occasionally by a float? People who use laptops for one part of a project then swith to workstations for a different part?)

    It will be handy for professional users. Microsoft already charges for Office 365 and Onedrive 1TB, it may make sense to offer a package that includes pro features, priority support, and the ability to swith your license between computers at the drop of a hat.

    But you will always be able to buy a laptop or tablet or whatever and be able to use it forever without paying another dime to Microsoft for it to continue running. Just your cellphone carrier, internet provider, Netflix, and whatever other services you subscribe to. You will always have a choice to not pay more to use your computer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    05 Jul 2016 #42
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,620
    Windows 10 IoT

    I'll hazard to guess that half the people who posted in this thread did not read the article linked too in the first post. Or any posts in the thread. They just read the thread title, saw the word subscription, and had at it. The sky is falling.

    Any large corporation will most likely have a Software Assurance contract with Microsoft. They can swap the operating system and license through that program. The way I read it, this added file/feature just makes that process easier.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    05 Jul 2016 #43
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I'll hazard to guess that half the people who posted in this thread did not read the article linked too in the first post. Or any posts in the thread. They just read the thread title, saw the word subscription, and had at it. The sky is falling.

    Any large corporation will most likely have a Software Assurance contract with Microsoft. They can swap the operating system and license through that program. The way I read it, this added file/feature just makes that process easier.
    I would venture that over half didn't read any of the OP and just jumped to conclusions.. as usual.

    This statement in the OP spells out clearly the position MS is taking on this subject.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	11 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	88426
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    05 Jul 2016 #44
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,620
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    I would venture that over half didn't read any of the OP and just jumped to conclusions.. as usual.

    This statement in the OP spells out clearly the position MS is taking on this subject.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	11 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	88426
    I copied and posted that bit of text at least once in the thread. Somebody else posted it too. Doesn't seem to matter though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    05 Jul 2016 #45

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    I copied and posted that bit of text at least once in the thread. Somebody else posted it too. Doesn't seem to matter though.
    That puts my concerns to rest, thanks.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    05 Jul 2016 #46
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,620
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by swarfega View Post
    That puts my concerns to rest, thanks.
    I posted the text in post #31, it was repeated in a screen shoot in post #35. My post would be easy to miss but the full screen shot with the bolded text isn't.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    05 Jul 2016 #47
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 262
    Windows 10

    I think most people understood what the article said, just discussing in the future what might happen.

    No need to get upset that people are voicing their opinion on matters, and nothing says Microsoft can't change their approach and offer a subscription service or go that way entirely. Just because some executive is saying one thing right now doesn't mean that 5 years from now it could be different depending on the marketplace.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    06 Jul 2016 #48
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    Posts : 5,552
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
    I think most people understood what the article said, just discussing in the future what might happen.

    No need to get upset that people are voicing their opinion on matters, and nothing says Microsoft can't change their approach and offer a subscription service or go that way entirely. Just because some executive is saying one thing right now doesn't mean that 5 years from now it could be different depending on the marketplace.
    Aww come on. MS would never change course midstream. MS would never say one thing then do something else. If MS says it you can be sure it's 100 true. If they ever did I would be ed!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 & Mobile Build 14364
UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
No hints for maximized windows
Some programs I use need to have hints, or tips, shown. A debugger is the most important example for me but for my customers it is the apps I develop. If I maximize a window then hints are turned off as though I'm in tablet mode which I am not....
General Support
Solved Batch file: Who can solve this mystery?
I recenty migrated to Windows 10 from XP. Years ago, I made a batch file, ping.bat, to test my Internet connection and DNS server: ping 98.139.183.24 ping yahoo.com ping nytimes.com pause It works fine in XP, but when I run it in...
Software and Apps
Windows 10 subscriptions aren't happening. Here's why
Read more: Windows 10 subscriptions aren't happening. Here's why | ZDNet
Windows 10 News
Microsoft Hints the Next Windows 10 Build Could Launch on Tuesday
Source
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:49.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums