Page 15 of 162 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Jul 2015
    The Woodlands, Texas
    Posts : 60
    Win7 SP1 Ultimate and Win10 1607 15014.1000 64bit Pro
       22 Jul 2016 #141

    Wynona said: View Post
    I think that would work. I've seen it suggested before. So, basically, you want to "ensure" your right to upgrade later than July 29?
    How are you Wynona...its been awhile since the old Win 7 beta days. I think you are giving good advise and I will go ahead and install Win 10 as an upgrade for Win 7 Ultimate and then revert back to Win 7. Better safe then sorry.

    WK
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 8,253
    Windows 10 IoT
       22 Jul 2016 #142

    WEKJR said: View Post
    So the suggestion is to install the November commercial release of Win 10 Pro to the Win 7 drive and then revert back to Win 7 at the completion of the install?
    You'll want to do it before that. The free upgrade offer ends on the 29th. Install the anniversary edition after that date and it won't activate. You'll have do the free upgrade before the 29th, then roll back. The digital entitlement you get via the free upgrade is also good for installing the Anniversary Update, at a latter date.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,812
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       22 Jul 2016 #143

    WEKJR said: View Post
    How are you Wynona...its been awhile since the old Win 7 beta days. I think you are giving good advise and I will go ahead and install Win 10 as an upgrade for Win 7 Ultimate and then revert back to Win 7. Better safe then sorry.

    WK
    Yes, it has been awhile. Of course, my handle wasn't Wynona back then . . . mostly we all used our own names. Were we fellow testers and have you seen through my "disguise"?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jul 2015
    The Woodlands, Texas
    Posts : 60
    Win7 SP1 Ultimate and Win10 1607 15014.1000 64bit Pro
       22 Jul 2016 #144

    Wynona said: View Post
    Yes, it has been awhile. Of course, my handle wasn't Wynona back then . . . mostly we all used our own names. Were we fellow testers and have you seen through my "disguise"?
    Wynona, I was the "What ever happened to Bill Kelly" thread back then.

    WK
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,812
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       22 Jul 2016 #145

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    You'll want to do it before that. The free upgrade offer ends on the 29th. Install the anniversary edition after that date and it won't activate. You'll have do the free upgrade before the 29th, then roll back. The digital entitlement you get via the free upgrade is also good for installing the Anniversary Update, at a latter date.
    WEKJR said: View Post
    Wynona, I was the "What ever happened to Bill Kelly" thread back then.

    WK
    Oh, gosh, I've slept many, many times since then. And participated in many more betas too.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : May 2016
    Texas
    Posts : 134
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       22 Jul 2016 #146

    Wynona said: View Post
    My HP systems are both about as stable as you can get, Rob. For the moment, I'm on the 10586 RTM version and it's about as stable as you can get too.

    You'd best hurry up if you're going to upgrade 25 of 'em.

    Question . . . do they have Windows 7 or 8.1? Windows 7 may (or may not) give you problems, while Windows 8.1 usually upgrades without a whimper.
    They were all traveling laptops that had Windows 7 SP1. I've actually already upgraded them to the base version of Windows 10, but had not patched them up to date because they're not being used right now and are shut off.

    We had some other high priority issues at work, so less important things like the laptops got pushed onto the back burner.

    Good to hear that Redstone is working out alright for you, though.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,812
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       22 Jul 2016 #147

    roblinb said: View Post
    They were all traveling laptops that had Windows 7 SP1. I've actually already upgraded them to the base version of Windows 10, but had not patched them up to date because they're not being used right now and are shut off.

    We had some other high priority issues at work, so less important things like the laptops got pushed onto the back burner.

    Good to hear that Redstone is working out alright for you, though.
    Oh, then you can upgrade at your leisure. I'd hate to know that many were waiting on me for upgrades!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : May 2016
    Texas
    Posts : 134
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       22 Jul 2016 #148

    But yeah I've heard of some serious issues that folks have had upgrading from 7 to 10. Maybe I've been blessed (lol) but knock on wood I'm batting a thousand, on (I think) 35 or so upgrades thus far.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Oct 2014
    Polk County Texas USA
    Posts : 11,812
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       22 Jul 2016 #149

    roblinb said: View Post
    But yeah I've heard of some serious issues that folks have had upgrading from 7 to 10. Maybe I've been blessed (lol) but knock on wood I'm batting a thousand, on (I think) 35 or so upgrades thus far.
    You are one lucky son-a-gun!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Apr 2014
    Posts : 3,317
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc
       23 Jul 2016 #150

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Mount and run setup.exe would be my recommendation also.
    alphanumeric said: View Post
    Or go to the MC tool page and click "upgrade now". Will be the quickest, if it works.
    My friend can be a bit "hard headed" at times when trying to simplify thing for him and he finally listened when getting fed up with the same 51 8.1 updates and I talked him through the first option of online upgrade which went well so far. He still didn't download the MC Tool or Virtual Clonedrive app I pointed him to being able to mount the ISO directly once saved to the drive or to a flash drive for the virtual optical method.

    I will be pming his better to see her follow the same instructions for the upgrade on her other 8.1 laptop as well to see them take advantage before time runs out! Less then 7 days now people! 7/29 7:59pm Redding local time ends the freebies!

    And as for WEKJR's question regarding the dual boot of 10 with 10 MS don't care none about how many times you install 10 as long as each copy has it's own license or DE there. The upgrade from 7 will see that 7 install's own key used for the second drive if you prefer to continue running each newer build on the other drive.

    Since I grabbed Ultimate at full price and later 7 Pro for the now test everything out build previously built for a portable WLan pc to move around I will still keep the 7 sides running while at time after running 10 all these most all 7 only items are presently either dead issue as they no longer work or I found newer 8.1 alternates that run well on 10 where 7 is now a preferred option only as far as the dual booting goes but keeps the doors open if I find I still need to run some other old apps on 7. Everything else has been fortunate to be updated or no longer needed.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Redstone) to be released on 2nd August
Read more: Windows 10 Anniversary update available August 2nd, says Microsoft press release headline UPDATE: https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/54747-windows-10-anniversary-update-available-august-2-a.html
Windows 10 News
Xbox August update for Xbox app on Windows 10 brings high-res Game Streamin
Source: August update for Xbox app on Windows 10 brings high-res Game Streaming | Blogging Windows
Windows 10 News
Cumulative Update KB3081438 for Windows 10 August 14th
Information: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081438 How to Check for and Install Windows Updates in Windows 10 A restart will be required.
Windows 10 News
Cumulative Update KB3081424 for Windows 10 August 5th
How to Check for and Install Windows Updates in Windows 10 A restart will be required. Cumulative Update for Windows 10: August 5, 2015
Windows 10 News
Windows August 2015 Security Update Release Summary
Source: August 2015 Security Update Release Summary - Microsoft Security Response Center - Site Home - TechNet Blogs How to Check for and Install Windows Updates in Windows 10 A restart will be required.
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:28.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums