Page 12 of 162 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

  1. Joined : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 17,326
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       21 Jul 2016 #111

    ok.......
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    21 Jul 2016 #112

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    In your case the OEM is Microsoft. It will still likely get driver updates from Windows update. It has parts from other manufacturers just like any other PC. The graphics, touchpad, NIC and WIFI etc. The companies that makes those parts issues their own drivers.
    Yes but Dell or other OEM's have like25 different models each with thousands of components (each requiring a driver). MS has limited number of components and are easier to manage. MS is unaware of the components the other OEM's use in their machines without contact with them. So it's just easier with one layer of a 3rd party removed for the process.

    I get more updates from components on My Surface Book then my Alienware. Most of the updates on AW are the security and MS updates. The SB has many more component updates partly because it's new. Most of the updates are from Intel components that are different.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Apr 2014
    Posts : 3,311
    W10 Pro x64/W7 Ultimate x64 dual boot main - W10 Pro Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64 - remote pc
       21 Jul 2016 #113

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    ok.......
    I suspect you may see another 2 or 3 builds, 4 at the max before August 2nd arrives. I now have a 3rd desktop here for the time being that see the RS1 go on while the 2nd will be the one that continue running the Insider builds as I start adding various programs on from the main. Not everything obviously since the drive space despite having another dual boot with 7 Pro there will mainly be used for stress testing on each newer build that follows.

    orlbuckeye said: View Post
    Yes but Dell or other OEM's have like25 different models each with thousands of components (each requiring a driver). MS has limited number of components and are easier to manage. MS is unaware of the components the other OEM's use in their machines without contact with them. So it's just easier with one layer of a 3rd party removed for the process.

    I get more updates from components on My Surface Book then my Alienware. Most of the updates on AW are the security and MS updates. The SB has many more component updates partly because it's new. Most of the updates are from Intel components that are different.
    The best advice I commonly give to people is not to expect the best driver sets by way of the WU unless you are dealing with something like the Surface or Surface Pro. Too often the most commonly heard problem heard after each newer build arrives is people having problems with drivers they get by way of the update function rather then a direct trip to download from the manufacturer's own support site where you still have a few pick and choose options.

    Case in point was an old PCI type tuner card discontinued and replaced by the PCIe version using the same chipset. The 8.1 drivers and app for the newer model worked out for the old PCI card. That is where sometimes you might need a little innovation if you have any older hardware concerns.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 1,097
    Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)
       22 Jul 2016 #114

    orlbuckeye said: View Post
    Yes but Dell or other OEM's have like25 different models each with thousands of components (each requiring a driver). MS has limited number of components and are easier to manage. MS is unaware of the components the other OEM's use in their machines without contact with them. So it's just easier with one layer of a 3rd party removed for the process.

    I get more updates from components on My Surface Book then my Alienware. Most of the updates on AW are the security and MS updates. The SB has many more component updates partly because it's new. Most of the updates are from Intel components that are different.
    The whole Windows update pulling in drivers does concern me. I don't want to suppress the feature as it proved useful when I plugged in a USB Bluetooth adapter and it found them etc

    But one thing I do worry is it will decide to try and update my GPU drivers at some point. Luckily since getting my machine in September it's never happened. The only thing that happened in the background is my Ethernet driver got updated with no ill effects. But I want to be in total control of my GPU driver. I still use the 355 set from Nvidia but I stick with them because they are 100% stable on my machine, cope with the games I currently play and I notice a lot of people having trouble/glitches with later Nvidia sets. The last thing I want is Windows Update pushing a new Nvidia driver out of the blue onto my system and risking potential problems. This is why driver updates should be optional if Windows Update finds them and not just automatically install. Presumably this Anniversary Update doesn't give us anymore control in this respect?

    It does all make me wonder how Windows Update decides it wants to inflict a new driver upon us. Am relieved yet puzzled as to why a newer Nvidia gpu driver hasn't showed up for me seeing as mine is about 9 months old. Maybe Nvidia has seen sense and not submitted their drivers to Microsoft to inflict on people unexpectedly. As with the majority I want to be able to grab drivers from the manufacturer as and when I am ready and think there is a compelling reason to update them.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 17,326
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       22 Jul 2016 #115

    Scottyboy99 said: View Post
    The whole Windows update pulling in drivers does concern me. I don't want to suppress the feature as it proved useful when I plugged in a USB Bluetooth adapter and it found them etc

    But one thing I do worry is it will decide to try and update my GPU drivers at some point. Luckily since getting my machine in September it's never happened. The only thing that happened in the background is my Ethernet driver got updated with no ill effects. But I want to be in total control of my GPU driver. I still use the 355 set from Nvidia but I stick with them because they are 100% stable on my machine, cope with the games I currently play and I notice a lot of people having trouble/glitches with later Nvidia sets. The last thing I want is Windows Update pushing a new Nvidia driver out of the blue onto my system and risking potential problems. This is why driver updates should be optional if Windows Update finds them and not just automatically install. Presumably this Anniversary Update doesn't give us anymore control in this respect?

    It does all make me wonder how Windows Update decides it wants to inflict a new driver upon us. Am relieved yet puzzled as to why a newer Nvidia gpu driver hasn't showed up for me seeing as mine is about 9 months old. Maybe Nvidia has seen sense and not submitted their drivers to Microsoft to inflict on people unexpectedly. As with the majority I want to be able to grab drivers from the manufacturer as and when I am ready and think there is a compelling reason to update them.
    @Scottyboy99, maybe this is what you are looking for. It has been around for over a year now. A tut from Shawn. Windows Updates - Hide or Show in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 1,097
    Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)
       22 Jul 2016 #116

    f14tomcat said: View Post
    @Scottyboy99, maybe this is what you are looking for. It has been around for over a year now. A tut from Shawn. Windows Updates - Hide or Show in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    Thank you. I didn't realise that could handle driver updates and thought it only related to the cumulative updates so that's useful to know.

    I guess the concern though is, that say Windows tried to inflict an Nvidia gpu update on me and I went through all this to remove and then hide it what's to say another Nividia GPU driver update with a slightly later version number won't bother me again a short while later. Unfortunately Nvidia seem to release new GPU drivers everytime the wind changes. That's why I hoped the Anniversary Update would return to the days of Windows 7 and make them optional. I can understand to a degree the security or cumulative updates but driver updates not so much.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : May 2016
    Posts : 532
    Windows 10
       22 Jul 2016 #117

    Scottyboy99 said: View Post
    The whole Windows update pulling in drivers does concern me. I don't want to suppress the feature as it proved useful when I plugged in a USB Bluetooth adapter and it found them etc

    But one thing I do worry is it will decide to try and update my GPU drivers at some point. Luckily since getting my machine in September it's never happened. The only thing that happened in the background is my Ethernet driver got updated with no ill effects. But I want to be in total control of my GPU driver. I still use the 355 set from Nvidia but I stick with them because they are 100% stable on my machine, cope with the games I currently play and I notice a lot of people having trouble/glitches with later Nvidia sets. The last thing I want is Windows Update pushing a new Nvidia driver out of the blue onto my system and risking potential problems. This is why driver updates should be optional if Windows Update finds them and not just automatically install. Presumably this Anniversary Update doesn't give us anymore control in this respect?

    It does all make me wonder how Windows Update decides it wants to inflict a new driver upon us. Am relieved yet puzzled as to why a newer Nvidia gpu driver hasn't showed up for me seeing as mine is about 9 months old. Maybe Nvidia has seen sense and not submitted their drivers to Microsoft to inflict on people unexpectedly. As with the majority I want to be able to grab drivers from the manufacturer as and when I am ready and think there is a compelling reason to update them.
    Good point. As an example, In my Android Phone I have an App which last 3 Updates does not work with SW2. Fourtunatly there is a "Mirror" from where I could download the last working set.
    Also, for installing Drivers you need a Internet connection. What about when you have not a Connection at hand, for example by a ISP or Elecricity failure and you PC is not working, what you do?
    Or, if LAN drivers are corrupted and you can not access Internet, how you solve that?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Oct 2014
    Arnold, MD
    Posts : 17,326
    Triple Boot 10 Pro & 10 Insider Pro & 8.1 Pro
       22 Jul 2016 #118

    Scottyboy99 said: View Post
    Thank you. I didn't realise that could handle driver updates and thought it only related to the cumulative updates so that's useful to know.

    I guess the concern though is, that say Windows tried to inflict an Nvidia gpu update on me and I went through all this to remove and then hide it what's to say another Nividia GPU driver update with a slightly later version number won't bother me again a short while later. Unfortunately Nvidia seem to release new GPU drivers everytime the wind changes. That's why I hoped the Anniversary Update would return to the days of Windows 7 and make them optional. I can understand to a degree the security or cumulative updates but driver updates not so much.
    I can't say what might, could, maybe will happen down the road. But this does work for stopping drivers and other unwanted software changes. The days of 7-type or 8-type Windows Update control are history.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Jul 2015
    PA, USA
    Posts : 462
    Windows 10 Pro (Mix of Builds) / Linux Mint
       22 Jul 2016 #119

    Yes, the hide update tool works as advertised.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 12,889
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393 Multiprocessor Free
       22 Jul 2016 #120

    A little more that a week to go, yoohoo!!!!
    I have an Insider VM, but can hardly wait to get my desktop and laptop "up to date"

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 002.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	91516
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Redstone) to be released on 2nd August
Read more: Windows 10 Anniversary update available August 2nd, says Microsoft press release headline UPDATE: https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/54747-windows-10-anniversary-update-available-august-2-a.html
Windows 10 News
Xbox August update for Xbox app on Windows 10 brings high-res Game Streamin
Source: August update for Xbox app on Windows 10 brings high-res Game Streaming | Blogging Windows
Windows 10 News
Cumulative Update KB3081438 for Windows 10 August 14th
Information: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3081438 How to Check for and Install Windows Updates in Windows 10 A restart will be required.
Windows 10 News
Cumulative Update KB3081424 for Windows 10 August 5th
How to Check for and Install Windows Updates in Windows 10 A restart will be required. Cumulative Update for Windows 10: August 5, 2015
Windows 10 News
Windows August 2015 Security Update Release Summary
Source: August 2015 Security Update Release Summary - Microsoft Security Response Center - Site Home - TechNet Blogs How to Check for and Install Windows Updates in Windows 10 A restart will be required.
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums