Windows 10: Living on the (Microsoft) Edge

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 20,755
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 16199
       28 Jun 2016 #1

    Living on the (Microsoft) Edge


    For the past few weeks, Iíve been using Microsoft Edge instead of Chrome where possible. This is a lot easier with the Windows 10 Anniversary update, which includes numerous Edge improvements. But as expected there are a few things I still miss from Googleís browser.

    Microsoft Edge has a lot going for it: The way it renders text and graphics, especially, is impressive, and it handles high DPI displays much better than other browsers. In the Anniversary update, Microsoft has made some important changes to Edge, most notably with the addition of extensions. But there are dozens, maybe even hundreds, of smaller changes that add up to a far more cohesive and complete experience than what Microsoft offered when Windows 10 initially shipped a year ago.

    Still, the transition hasnít been easy. And if Iím being honest with myself, I canít honestly say Iím ready to abandon Chrome completely, no matter the benefitsóand very real battery life advantagesĖof Edge.

    I feel like Iíve been dealing with this kind of trade-off a lot lately, as I examine and re-examine various products and services. That is, the transition to Microsoft Edge is like many other personal technology transitions: You have to be prepared to give up your traditions and do some things differently. Not everyone will be comfortable with that, and itís something I struggle with myself. It all comes down to what you need, what you can live with, and your ability to change. And Ö Iím trying...


    Read more: Living on the (Microsoft) Edge - Thurrott.com
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    29 Jun 2016 #2

    think lots will move to edge in Anniversary update as extensions are available then
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 2,554
    Windows 10 Home x64: 1607 Redstone (1) Build 14393.1198
       29 Jun 2016 #3

    I use Edge now all the time but looks like it is going to get even better so cant wait to try out all the added items
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    29 Jun 2016 #4

    Dave44 said: View Post
    think lots will move to edge in Anniversary update as extensions are available then
    I'll move when Edge justifies it by doing everything Firefox can do and clearly doing it all better.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 238
    Win 10 Pro Build 1703 15063.296
       30 Jun 2016 #5

    Looking forward to the additions. Have watched developments keenly.

    Having said that, I used Chrome yesterday because I need to use an extension for the first time in about 3 months. And it was really not a pleasant experience! I am so used to Edge doing the basics well ......
    Last edited by Geoff Daniell; 06 Jul 2016 at 10:51.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    30 Jun 2016 #6

    hTconeM9user said: View Post
    I use Edge now all the time but looks like it is going to get even better so cant wait to try out all the added items
    me too used edge all time
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    01 Jul 2016 #7

    Edge is a piece of garbage.
    Without a doubt this is the worst browser to ever be released on a desktop. I just updated to 14379 or whatever the current flavor of the month is, and Edge still doesn't work. I was unable to move even a simple bookmark. This is typical of what is wrong with Windows 10 over all. Thank god Microsoft doesn't plan on releasing another version of Windows, because they will never get this one fixed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 238
    Win 10 Pro Build 1703 15063.296
       01 Jul 2016 #8

    Trust_No1 said: View Post
    Edge is a piece of garbage.
    Without a doubt this is the worst browser to ever be released on a desktop. I just updated to 14379 or whatever the current flavor of the month is, and Edge still doesn't work. I was unable to move even a simple bookmark. This is typical of what is wrong with Windows 10 over all. Thank god Microsoft doesn't plan on releasing another version of Windows, because they will never get this one fixed.
    Edge works just fine. What do you mean by "I was unable to move even a simple bookmark"?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 2,554
    Windows 10 Home x64: 1607 Redstone (1) Build 14393.1198
       01 Jul 2016 #9

    Geoff Daniell said: View Post
    Edge works just fine. What do you mean by "I was unable to move even a simple bookmark"?
    The Poster hates Windows 10 and Edge
    Always slags it off so I cant see why he is even a tester if he hates it so much.
    I myself am the same as you
    Works ok and have never had any problems with opening tabs or bookmarks.
    IE 11 used to give me hassle all the time, Edge no hassle at all
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 238
    Win 10 Pro Build 1703 15063.296
       01 Jul 2016 #10

    hTconeM9user said: View Post
    The Poster hates Windows 10 and Edge
    Always slags it off so I cant see why he is even a tester if he hates it so much.
    I myself am the same as you
    Works ok and have never had any problems with opening tabs or bookmarks.
    IE 11 used to give me hassle all the time, Edge no hassle at all
    I guess I assume that persons who become Insiders are prepared to experiment and live on the "Bleeding Edge" ( Pun intended )

    If I had a spare non- production PC, that I can afford to just play with, I would also be an insider. Yes moving to Edge has required me to review what I "thought" was a good operating procedure regarding a browser, but once that hurdle is overcome, I started to appreciate the simpler working style of MS Edge.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Since installing the November Windows 10 update (11/17/15) none of my favorites are being stored in the default Edge folder. While in Edge the favorites are available but when I go to the default folder they are not listed. Is there another...
Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/living-on-the-edge-25-security-flaws-found-in-microsoft-s-internet-explorer-496012.shtml?utm_content=buffer5228b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
This is what I see... 239
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:25.
Find Us