Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1.    24 Jun 2016 #61
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,641
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Have to be careful when turning it on. On my system it defaults to 0% when turned on. Without manually setting to some other percentage, it will not even make any points.
    Yup, that's part of the process that MS wants us to decide how much space we want the System Restore feature to take. Because if MS takes the liberty of deciding how much space to take, I'm sure some of us will complain if it's too much or too little. It's also automatic for me to make adjustments to it when turning it on.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    24 Jun 2016 #62
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,957
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    But setting can be turned on automatically after upgrade installation and first check point made.
    Yes,, of course. In order to remove the shadow copies belonging to the previous OS the feature needs to be turned off. After the upgrade it can then be turned on again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    24 Jun 2016 #63
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 2,027
    Windows 10 Pro X64

    Hi,

    Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
    Yup, that's part of the process that MS wants us to decide how much space we want the System Restore feature to take. Because if MS takes the liberty of deciding how much space to take, I'm sure some of us will complain if it's too much or too little. It's also automatic for me to make adjustments to it when turning it on.
    Exactly. So even if it was turned back on automatically it would still not work for you need to decide yourself what amount of space you want to give it.

    I guess a lot of users will learn the hard way ?

    Cheers,
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    24 Jun 2016 #64
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,826
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Yes,, of course. In order to remove the shadow copies belonging to the previous OS the feature needs to be turned off. After the upgrade it can then be turned on again.
    And MS should be turning it on again as part of the install completion!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    24 Jun 2016 #65
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,566
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    And MS should be turning it on again as part of the install completion!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    24 Jun 2016 #66
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    A Finnish expat in Germany
    Posts : 12,957
    Windows 10 Pro

    No. By default and design in new installs System Restore is turned off to not use unnecessary storage space for shadow copies in case user does not want it for instance due small HDD / SSD. This naturally applies both clean installs and OS change (upgrade install).

    It's then up to user to enable this optional feature. Or do you mean all Windows optional features should be on and enabled by default? If not, who should be the one to decide which optional features are on and enabled in a new freshly installed or upgraded Windows?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    24 Jun 2016 #67
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,641
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    And MS should be turning it on again as part of the install completion!
    Hahaha.. don't tell me you are also affected with this.
    Problem is, you have to manually set the space allocation for System Restore. I don't think MS will remember how much you set it previously. It's based on individual preference. Even if it's turned back on automatically after the update, you still have to go in and adjust the storage allocation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    24 Jun 2016 #68
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Maribor, Slovenia
    Posts : 8,897
    Windows 10 (Pro and Insider Pro)

    Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
    Hahaha.. don't tell me you are also affected with this.
    Problem is, you have to manually set the space allocation for System Restore. I don't think MS will remember how much you set it previously. It's based on individual preference. Even if it's turned back on automatically after the update, you still have to go in and adjust the storage allocation.
    But, MS did turn on this option at least since Windows 7. They assign some reasonable amount of disk space (between 5 an 10%) to System restore, and it works well for most of users. At least I don't recall some massive protest against it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    24 Jun 2016 #69
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,826
    W10Prox64

    MS have always had it turned on by default for all other OSs. The average user expects to be able to fall back to system restore when they mess up their system, just like they always have in the past. Changing the rules, and not telling anyone is just plain stupid. MS have enough damage control to do with all their other issues.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    24 Jun 2016 #70
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,826
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by andreten View Post
    but, ms did turn on this option at least since windows 7. They assign some reasonable amount of disk space (between 5 an 10%) to system restore, and it works well for most of users. At least i don't recall some massive protest against it.

    exactly.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Insider Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 & Mobile Build 14364
UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Mobile Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10586.107
697481230166548481 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10586.107 | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Mobile Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10586.29
10.0.10586.29.th2_release.151130-1909 672950566503362560 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10586.29 | Windows Experience Blog
Windows 10 News
Mobile Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10586
667788240343035904 667100737957183488 667102048412913664
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums