Windows 10: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14372 for PC and Mobile Insider

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
  1.    24 Jun 2016 #51

    With all those new backup options nowadays, system restore is loosing it's importance. Wouldn't be surprised they kill it or replace with something more powerful. I can't even remember when I used it last time yet I keep on turning it on and making a restore point after upgrade. Some programs like Revo Uninstaller make their own even when turned off in windows. Many were intentionally turning it off to "save" SSD or space on smaller disks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 11,515
    Windows 10 Pro
       24 Jun 2016 #52

    System Restore simply cannot work across Windows versions, I don't understand what makes it so difficult to understand?

    An example: you are running Windows 7, creating restore points every now and then. You can always use these restore points to go back to earlier point in your Windows 7 installation. Then you upgrade to Windows 10. Of course you can no longer use a restore point to restore Windows 7. The core OS has been changed, a simple restore point cannot restore the previous OS.

    That's why there's the roll back feature: you have 30 days time to roll back to your previous OS, which essentially downgrades your OS.

    The same with Windows 10 Insider builds; they all are completely new versions of Windows. To go back you need to use the roll back feature but when a Windows OS has been upgraded to a new OS version, it is only natural that System Restore cannot be used. Therefore it needs to be turned off and restore points of the previous OS deleted.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 14,909
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       24 Jun 2016 #53

    I agree with everything you say, Kari. My only complaint is that once Restore has been turned off and all Restore Points have been deleted, why then can't Microsoft just turn it back on when installing the new bits?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    24 Jun 2016 #54

    Kari said: View Post
    System Restore simply cannot work across Windows versions, I don't understand what makes it so difficult to understand?

    An example: you are running Windows 7, creating restore points every now and then. You can always use these restore points to go back to earlier point in your Windows 7 installation. Then you upgrade to Windows 10. Of course you can no longer use a restore point to restore Windows 7. The core OS has been changed, a simple restore point cannot restore the previous OS.

    That's why there's the roll back feature: you have 30 days time to roll back to your previous OS, which essentially downgrades your OS.

    The same with Windows 10 Insider builds; they all are completely new versions of Windows. To go back you need to use the roll back feature but when a Windows OS has been upgraded to a new OS version, it is only natural that System Restore cannot be used. Therefore it needs to be turned off and restore points of the previous OS deleted.
    But setting can be turned on automatically after upgrade installation and first check point made.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 14,909
    Windows 10 Insider Preview
       24 Jun 2016 #55

    CountMike said: View Post
    But setting can be turned on automatically after upgrade installation and first check point made.
    What you said, Count!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 6,118
    Windows X (various flavours)
       24 Jun 2016 #56

    CountMike said: View Post
    But setting can be turned on automatically after upgrade installation and first check point made.
    Wynona said: View Post
    What you said, Count!
    I'm with you on this one!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 4,448
    Win 10 Pro x64
       24 Jun 2016 #57

    Wynona said: View Post
    OK, so you're saying Restore should be ON when the Anniversary Edition ships? I can agree with that, however, shouldn't we be testing all parts of Windows 10? Including Restore? We've now tested with Restore turned off; shouldn't we test for awhile with Restore turned on?
    It's only either ON or OFF. But since this is an optional feature, it should be OFF by default. Like Kari said, every update is like a new installation where all restore points are deleted and System Restore is turned back off.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    24 Jun 2016 #58

    badrobot said: View Post
    It's only either ON or OFF. But since this is an optional feature, it should be OFF by default. Like Kari said, every update is like a new installation where all restore points are deleted and System Restore is turned back off.
    Have to be careful when turning it on. On my system it defaults to 0% when turned on. Without manually setting to some other percentage, it will not even make any points.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    24 Jun 2016 #59

    Be interesting to know Microsoft's rationale for disabling system restore (I'm assuming they have one). I've gotten so used to turning it on I don't even think about it anymore.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 6,118
    Windows X (various flavours)
       24 Jun 2016 #60

    Kari said: View Post
    I have UK & US keyboards (input languages) set, as well as Finnish, Swedish, German and French. Almost after every restart / sign-in, some input languages are missing although still shown in language settings. To get them back I have to remove them and add them again.

    An inconvenience rather than an issue but yet something I would not like to see.

    At the moment after having just restarted, when clicking the input language selection I get this:However, the input languages set up shows this:
    Do you have basic typing dictionaries or possibility to add them? I'm missing them in the last few builds (since 366).
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Related Threads
UPDATE: 742889757512867840 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14366 Mobile Build 14364 | Windows Experience Blog
697481230166548481 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10586.107 | Windows Experience Blog
10.0.10586.29.th2_release.151130-1909 672950566503362560 Source: Announcing Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview Build 10586.29 | Windows Experience Blog
667788240343035904 667100737957183488 667102048412913664
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42.
Find Us