Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
  1.    27 Jun 2016 #71
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,893
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by larc919 View Post
    I've always built my own systems since my first that came with Windows 3.0 and have never installed a Windows OEM version on any of them. I didn't think I could live with the restrictions since I updated my primary system every couple of years and passed removed parts sequentially down the line to 3 other desktops. I'd advise anybody building their own system not to put Windows OEM on it as there are strong chances they will come to regret the day.
    Yeah, I only installed the OEM version once, and that was seemingly wrong advice given to me by the salesman.

    Microsoft gave us Beta Testers a free copy of Vista, and somehow I earned two free copies of Windows 7 Ultimate, bought Windows 8 cheap when that came out. Now I get Windows 10 as a free upgrade. Been pretty lucky all in all.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    27 Jun 2016 #72
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,893
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by Cbarnhorst View Post
    The simple answer when hesitating to leave Windows 7 or 8 is to do the upgrade (to secure the permanent license for Windows 10) and then roll-back. That removes the deadline because the device becomes a registered Windows 10 device on the first installation of Windows 10 and that is good for the life of the device.
    Yep, and for those who don't build their own systems, all new computers come with Windows 10 installed. That is, unless you can get the OEM to sell you one with Windows 7 or 8.1.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    28 Jun 2016 #73
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 357
    Windows 10 Home Version 1709 Build 16299.19

    I gave it a third try and still found Windows 10 to be so buggy. Reformatted my main laptop back to factory install Win 8.1, spent the hours updating and installing and configuring and now the OS is perfect and the laptop works great.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    28 Jun 2016 #74
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 17,893
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16281

    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    I gave it a third try and still found Windows 10 to be so buggy. Reformatted my main laptop back to factory install Win 8.1, spent the hours updating and installing and configuring and now the OS is perfect and the laptop works great.
    I don't know where you're finding your bugs. Windows 10 is and has been perfectly stable except for the occasional glitch.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    28 Jun 2016 #75

    Same here, two desktop computers, one of them on my home entertainment system and a laptop running the insider preview.
    No real problems
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    28 Jun 2016 #76
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Florida
    Posts : 659
    W10 FCU & W10 Insider

    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    I gave it a third try and still found Windows 10 to be so buggy. Reformatted my main laptop back to factory install Win 8.1, spent the hours updating and installing and configuring and now the OS is perfect and the laptop works great.
    Next time you try it, make an image of your present system. If you decide to go back, it is so much easier.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    28 Jun 2016 #77
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    N Calif
    Posts : 715
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 (laptop), W10Pro (tablet)

    Quote Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
    The Windows Store won't work, and some (maybe all) Apps won't work. Sync won't work either.
    This is absolutely NOT true. I have machines where I run a local account and can access the Windows Store without issue, however, I will need to enter my MS Account info to install any apps from there. The machine itself maintains a local login.

    There are other things that don't work unless you login with a MS Account, the most obvious is Cortana. If you attempt to access Cortana while logged in with a local account, Win 10 will prompt you to convert the machine to a MS Account login. At one time, OneDrive required you to login to the machine with a MS Account as well, not sure if that's still true. Syncing between machines also requires you to login with a MS Account.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    28 Jun 2016 #78
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts : 10,604
    Windows 10 IoT

    Quote Originally Posted by strollin View Post
    This is absolutely NOT true. I have machines where I run a local account and can access the Windows Store without issue, however, I will need to enter my MS Account info to install any apps from there. The machine itself maintains a local login.

    There are other things that don't work unless you login with a MS Account, the most obvious is Cortana. If you attempt to access Cortana while logged in with a local account, Win 10 will prompt you to convert the machine to a MS Account login. At one time, OneDrive required you to login to the machine with a MS Account as well, not sure if that's still true. Syncing between machines also requires you to login with a MS Account.
    The Store will launch but like you say, you still need a Microsoft ID to install and use Apps. I could have worded it better. its still pretty close to what happens.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    28 Jun 2016 #79
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 357
    Windows 10 Home Version 1709 Build 16299.19

    Quote Originally Posted by Wynona View Post
    I don't know where you're finding your bugs. Windows 10 is and has been perfectly stable except for the occasional glitch.
    For you.

    For me the email notifications don't work right - totally inconsistent. No fixes work for long. That has always been the case. Things I set mysteriously unset themselves. My laptop freezes when I wake it from sleep. The usual fixes improve it but still it persists. Little circles appear on the notification icon and have to be removed by turning on and off quiet hours. All of these things can be worked around - turn off email notifications and use something else, don't use sleep and just turn off display and not be such a perfectionist about settings but then you have the system itself which gives you little control over updates or over direction of the OS since it will be a service that develops. I also was never a fan of how it looks. But I could have dealt with it if the bugs where not there.
    My guess is its an interaction between my HP laptop and win 10, though I've read of many with various brands that have similar issues.
    Windows 8.1 otoh, works perfectly on my laptop.

    I will look into taking an image so I don't have to do all that work and sounds like a good way to make backups in general - thank you.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    28 Jun 2016 #80
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    Posts : 5,547
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    For you.

    For me the email notifications don't work right - totally inconsistent. No fixes work for long. That has always been the case. Things I set mysteriously unset themselves. My laptop freezes when I wake it from sleep. The usual fixes improve it but still it persists. Little circles appear on the notification icon and have to be removed by turning on and off quiet hours. All of these things can be worked around - turn off email notifications and use something else, don't use sleep and just turn off display and not be such a perfectionist about settings but then you have the system itself which gives you little control over updates or over direction of the OS since it will be a service that develops. I also was never a fan of how it looks. But I could have dealt with it if the bugs where not there.
    My guess is its an interaction between my HP laptop and win 10, though I've read of many with various brands that have similar issues.
    Windows 8.1 otoh, works perfectly on my laptop.

    I will look into taking an image so I don't have to do all that work and sounds like a good way to make backups in general - thank you.
    Some of your problems may be driver related. You may need to upgrade or downgrade a driver or more to solve some of your problems. On my Insider build Windows update updated my wireless network card and it caused me a big headache. I had to go to HP and download and install a older driver to fix my network card.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Clarified:the free upgrade offer to Win 10 is ending July 29th, really
Clarified: the free upgrade offer to Windows 10 is ending July 29th, really Microsoft has responded to speculation that Microsoft left itself some wiggle room Read more:...
Windows 10 News
Windows 10 after free offer ends
Hi my friend is unsure if he wants Windows 10 or not...he currently has XP. It has passed the Windows 8 compatability test, so will accept Windows 10. If I install Windows 7 pro as a clean install, then upgrade to Windows 10....but after the 30...
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved Can I get Win10 for free after July 29th this year?
I already know about the trick where you update then revert, and the computer you updated on will be able to upgrade again for free after July 29th, but what if I won't have the computer I want to upgrade until after this date? I'm getting a...
Windows Updates and Activation
July 29th not June 29th
I was getting so excited for windows 10 on the 29th June....and then I realised it's July not June lol! Silly me, I must have read it wrong. And there I was looking forward to installing it tomorrow! I even bought myself a new SSD and cloned my...
General Support
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:18.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums