Windows 10: Here’s what happens after the July 29th free Windows 10 offer ends

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
  1.    27 Jun 2016 #61

    Wynona said: View Post
    Generally, anything with Windows 7 on it will upgrade to Windows 10. When you say "not applicable", I'm not sure what you mean. Have you tried to upgrade it to Windows 10 and it said it can't upgrade? Or, do you mean you can't legally install Win 10 on it? If that's the case, anything running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 is legal for Windows 10. Boot your Win 7 lappy and go here to see if it will upgrade: Windows 10 Just follow the yellow brick road.



    I wasn't aware you could do that! Learn something new every day. Probably a trial version. Since you already have a working copy of Windows 10 on your computer, why not join the Insider Program? I tried to go there this AM, but the site is down, so can't give you a link.



    Again, I haven't heard anything about that one. Since it worked for you, I guess it's legit.



    Have you looked at Activation again to see if it's either activated or you have digital entitlement?



    At one time, Newegg.com was selling product keys for Windows 10. I don't know if they'll accept your payment method, but if they will, that may be a source. Since you're a gamer, I'd get the Pro version rather than the Home version.
    Well my Win7 laptop never ever showed me this Windows 10 upgrade prompts people talk/complain about so I just assumed it did not qualify cause some people even say it is annoying as hell and I never got annoyed hahahaha

    Also this is not a CD with a key that I bought for myself it's just pre installed when I bought the laptop years ago so I thought that is why it is not qualified.

    Found this thing about using Windows 10 without key here:

    http://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-...se-windows-10/

    I guessed since Microsoft can detect this I'm not doing something wrong and they are letting me use it for free for now

    and nope my Win10 is not activated yet it's like this since first time I installed. From what I see from some sites not even insiders will get free keys they will have the test version for free for what I understand! Not the regular one that I'm using here.

    OldMike65 said: View Post
    What you could try right now, is instead of trying to buy a legal copy of Windows 10 Home or Pro, is to buy a legal copy of Windows 7 Pro, which would be a lot cheaper. Make sure its a true Retail Version, not an OEM version. Then you will have a legal and cheaper way to Upgrade your NEW gaming Computer to Windows 10 Pro. With a Retail version of Windows 7 Pro you can move it to another computer in the future if you decide to Build another computer. This would also be the same for your Windows 10 Pro, once you upgrade your Windows 7 Pro. Just a suggestion for you to think about.
    Yep that's a really nice tip and I tought about it myself since I got the new PC but just learn something with me: Brasil = hell so yeah a copy of Win7 is waaay more expensive than a Win10 new copy I can't even find it in a decent store! It's eitheir super cheap(shaddy) or super expensive!

    dlwmacgregor said: View Post
    Technically (and legally) this statement is correct. But the spirit of the law would say that Microsoft is only interested in you running the previous version and Windows 10, based on the same license, on 2 separate machines.
    If you have a PC with a valid OEM license on a PC with a cloned disk containing an upgrade of that same license, I doubt they would unofficially object to that because "you are not running them both at the same time". Some people like to do "extended evaluations" of new OS's with the expectation that eventually they would permanently migrate to the new OS.
    The funny thing is, Microsoft never considered the installation of the OEM version on a user-built PC as being a "fully-licensed" copy of Windows. You would have to sell that new PC you built to someone else to make it fully legal. But Microsoft never enforced that because they realized it would cut into sales to DIY builders.
    I think I'm going to skip that cause I don't want problems
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 16,157
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16241
       27 Jun 2016 #62

    dlwmacgregor said: View Post
    Technically (and legally) this statement is correct. But the spirit of the law would say that Microsoft is only interested in you running the previous version and Windows 10, based on the same license, on 2 separate machines.
    I beg to differ with you on that statement. The EULA states that once Windows is upgraded, you can no longer use the old license. There is no "spirit of the law" included in the EULA.

    dlwmacgregor said: View Post
    If you have a PC with a valid OEM license on a PC with a cloned disk containing an upgrade of that same license, I doubt they would unofficially object to that because "you are not running them both at the same time". Some people like to do "extended evaluations" of new OS's with the expectation that eventually they would permanently migrate to the new OS.
    They may not unofficially object, but I'm quite sure they would officially object! I have experienced an OEM copy I accidentally installed in a computer I was working on reaching out and changing the drivers to match that computer. So, yes, they can both be run at the same time! However, running at the same time or not, I consider it theft, and definitely will not go there!

    dlwmacgregor said: View Post
    The funny thing is, Microsoft never considered the installation of the OEM version on a user-built PC as being a "fully-licensed" copy of Windows. You would have to sell that new PC you built to someone else to make it fully legal. But Microsoft never enforced that because they realized it would cut into sales to DIY builders.
    I beg to differ . . . If I build a computer (and I've built many, many of them), and buy an OEM version of Windows for that computer, it is fully licensed to me if I choose to keep the computer for myself. I am not, however, allowed to put that OEM copy on any other computer. It is forever tied to the computer I installed it on.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    27 Jun 2016 #63

    Wynona said: View Post
    I beg to differ with you on that statement. The EULA states that once Windows is upgraded, you can no longer use the old license. There is no "spirit of the law" included in the EULA.



    They may not unofficially object, but I'm quite sure they would officially object! I have experienced an OEM copy I accidentally installed in a computer I was working on reaching out and changing the drivers to match that computer. So, yes, they can both be run at the same time! However, running at the same time or not, I consider it theft, and definitely will not go there!



    I beg to differ . . . If I build a computer (and I've built many, many of them), and buy an OEM version of Windows for that computer, it is fully licensed to me if I choose to keep the computer for myself. I am not, however, allowed to put that OEM copy on any other computer. It is forever tied to the computer I installed it on.
    To be legal you would have to sell the computer you built and installed the OEM version on to a third party. I have never heard of and probably never will hear of MS taking someone to court because they installed a OEM version on their personal computer. I personally think that that is just legalese to prevent someone from trying to take MS to small claims court because MS will not give support to a OEM version. The system builder is supposed to give any needed support.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    27 Jun 2016 #64

    What if I get a new device. Can my purchased win 10 key not be used?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 12,183
    W10Prox64
       27 Jun 2016 #65

    Wynona said: View Post
    ...I beg to differ . . . If I build a computer (and I've built many, many of them), and buy an OEM version of Windows for that computer, it is fully licensed to me if I choose to keep the computer for myself. I am not, however, allowed to put that OEM copy on any other computer. It is forever tied to the computer I installed it on.
    Technically, if you install an OEM System Builder license on a PC, you have to sell that pc, and you have to provide support for it.

    Winuser said: View Post
    To be legal you would have to sell the computer you built and installed the OEM version on to a third party. I have never heard of and probably never will hear of MS taking someone to court because they installed a OEM version on their personal computer. I personally think that that is just legalese to prevent someone from trying to take MS to small claims court because MS will not give support to a OEM version. The system builder is supposed to give any needed support.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 12,183
    W10Prox64
       27 Jun 2016 #66

    bobsagetfullhou said: View Post
    What if I get a new device. Can my purchased win 10 key not be used?
    If it is a full Retail License, it has transfer rights, which means it can be unregistered/uninstalled on the original system and installed/registered on the new pc.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    27 Jun 2016 #67

    simrick said: View Post
    If it is a full Retail License, it has transfer rights, which means it can be unregistered/uninstalled on the original system and installed/registered on the new pc.
    I've always built my own systems since my first that came with Windows 3.0 and have never installed a Windows OEM version on any of them. I didn't think I could live with the restrictions since I updated my primary system every couple of years and passed removed parts sequentially down the line to 3 other desktops. I'd advise anybody building their own system not to put Windows OEM on it as there are strong chances they will come to regret the day.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 64
    Multiple systems on multiple computer
       27 Jun 2016 #68

    I got a digital entitlement for all my capable computer. only my desktops will not as they are too old. They still run on Windows 7 though as the most recent capable system....
    On my test laptop I run Windows 10 currently permanently mostly for learning reasons. At times of Windows XP I did not even wanted anything to do with Windows 7, now I am using it almost exclusively. Times a' changing. Maybe some day I will have Windows 15
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    27 Jun 2016 #69

    The simple answer when hesitating to leave Windows 7 or 8 is to do the upgrade (to secure the permanent license for Windows 10) and then roll-back. That removes the deadline because the device becomes a registered Windows 10 device on the first installation of Windows 10 and that is good for the life of the device.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 16,157
    Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16241
       27 Jun 2016 #70

    Winuser said: View Post
    To be legal you would have to sell the computer you built and installed the OEM version on to a third party. I have never heard of and probably never will hear of MS taking someone to court because they installed a OEM version on their personal computer. I personally think that that is just legalese to prevent someone from trying to take MS to small claims court because MS will not give support to a OEM version. The system builder is supposed to give any needed support.
    Oh, well, I don't have any OEM versions installed, so I guess I'm OK. Whoops! I've only bought an OEM version once, and the salesman told me what I said above. In fact, he suggested that I buy the OEM version rather than the Retail version. I'm pretty sure that was Windows XP. At any rate, that computer is long gone . . . I gave it to a friend whose computer had crashed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Clarified: the free upgrade offer to Windows 10 is ending July 29th, really Microsoft has responded to speculation that Microsoft left itself some wiggle room Read more:...
Windows 10 after free offer ends in Windows Updates and Activation
Hi my friend is unsure if he wants Windows 10 or not...he currently has XP. It has passed the Windows 8 compatability test, so will accept Windows 10. If I install Windows 7 pro as a clean install, then upgrade to Windows 10....but after the 30...
Solved Can I get Win10 for free after July 29th this year? in Windows Updates and Activation
I already know about the trick where you update then revert, and the computer you updated on will be able to upgrade again for free after July 29th, but what if I won't have the computer I want to upgrade until after this date? I'm getting a...
July 29th not June 29th in General Support
I was getting so excited for windows 10 on the 29th June....and then I realised it's July not June lol! Silly me, I must have read it wrong. And there I was looking forward to installing it tomorrow! I even bought myself a new SSD and cloned my...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02.
Find Us