Windows 10: Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella Admits Windows Phone Failed

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    18 Jun 2016 #11

    Indianatone said: View Post
    So why are they trying to force a phone based OS on desktop users? Why don't they stick to what they are good at and give us a polished OS based on desktop / laptop use which is their primary market. They are fracturing the desktop market into 2 user groups, the 10 adopters and the users sticking with 7/8 for various reasons. Just my 2 cents.
    I could argue that opposite is true. Windows phone or more accurate mobile W10 is an extension to desktop environment. That's one of main reasons I switched to Lumia 640, it plays great with my desktop W10, something I could only dream of with Androids. Relative lack of excellent APPs in the store is only thing I could complain about.
    I have never been able to achieve such seamless cooperation between main OS and portable devices specially phones. Backups, data synchronizing thru One drive, One Note Contacts etc. and even Office is very easy. There are some new features that promise to be even better.
    I would be very disappointed if low WP acceptance would kill it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    18 Jun 2016 #12

    Hi there

    Sometimes in business you have to admit even if your idea / device is far superior to the opposition it's time to give it up. The marketplace is fickle and doesn't always operate in logical ways.

    I think it's not so long ago that we had the "Betamax Vs VHS" stuff with the far inferior VHS winning out. Similarly Tape vs Minidisc --although that fiasco was caused mainly by the rediculous amounts of DRM applied to music recorded on Minidisc just when people were starting to get used to the idea of digital music.

    Plenty of other examples.

    A Windows phone isn't going to hack it in the modern market -- in any case loads of apps that [people use daily are entirely missing from the Windows phone so anybody switching from an iPhone or an Andoid phone will be sorely disappointed.

    I think also the idea of people doing a lot of Work "On the Move" these days is beginning to get a bit dated -- with decent fast Internet available everywhere most people - even if they travel - can do their work on a proper computer in much more relaxed surroundings than in the tight confines of a Plane or Train (or even a Bus) so the emphasis on creating a full office suite for a mobile phone just to me these days seems totally BONKERS and so "Last Century".

    The old adage "Work Smarter - not Harder" still applies. Thank goodness Work / Life balance is coming back big time - finally. If you want to see people who probably will be hospital cases by the time they are 50 just go into any airport lounge and look at some of the "lower order" professionals who are using Business class for the first time all clicking away doing Office stuff !! --while I'm enjoying a nice PROPER Drink watching the latest episode of Game of Thrones --and I usually arrive at my meeting far more prepared and relaxed than the other crowd !!!!.

    I don't need or want to be connected to a computer all the time --why should I even THINK of running backups from my phone or checking emails every few minutes --probably having to discard hundreds of emails from stores you bought a single product 7 years ago !!! offering stuff "you can't possibly do without". No there are times to keep both PHONE and COMPUTER SWITCHED OFF --just pull out a Kindle and have a great read.

    Ms has some really good stuff in the field of AI and robotics for instance --it's time to put Windows Mobile out of its misery and save the shareholders some dosh.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Last edited by jimbo45; 18 Jun 2016 at 04:19.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. galaxys's Avatar
    Posts : 92
    Windows 10 Home 64bit V1607
       18 Jun 2016 #13

    Yes, this is a move in the right direction for shareholders etc.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    19 Jun 2016 #14

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    A Windows phone isn't going to hack it in the modern market -- in any case loads of apps that people use daily are entirely missing from the Windows phone so anybody switching from an iPhone or an Android phone will be sorely disappointed.
    Can you name a few apps which people use daily that are unavailable for Windows Phone?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    19 Jun 2016 #15

    Victek said: View Post
    Can you name a few apps which people use daily that are unavailable for Windows Phone?
    None of my local networks news and warning apps work on my Windows Phone. Some stores in my area have apps that when used your earn discounts and the only work on Android and Apple. The Walmart Pharmacy has a app and it only works on Android and Apple.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    19 Jun 2016 #16

    Winuser said: View Post
    None of my local networks news and warning apps work on my Windows Phone. Some stores in my area have apps that when used your earn discounts and the only work on Android and Apple. The Walmart Pharmacy has a app and it only works on Android and Apple.
    That's true, not all specialty APPs are made for W10 phone as of yet. Around here they are mostly for Android because iPhone is not very popular (read that as too expensive).
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    19 Jun 2016 #17

    CountMike said: View Post
    That's true, not all specialty APPs are made for W10 phone as of yet. Around here they are mostly for Android because iPhone is not very popular (read that as too expensive).
    I would like to see these apps come available for the Windows Phone. Even if they don't I'm still very happy with my Lumia 640XL and have no plans of going back to Android and I don't see me ever switching to any Apple devices now or in my future.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    19 Jun 2016 #18

    Winuser said: View Post
    I would like to see these apps come available for the Windows Phone. Even if they don't I'm still very happy with my Lumia 640XL and have no plans of going back to Android and I don't see me ever switching to any Apple devices now or in my future.
    I have APPs for couple of local news sites and my bank is working on one.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9.    19 Jun 2016 #19

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    Sometimes in business you have to admit even if your idea / device is far superior to the opposition it's time to give it up. The marketplace is fickle and doesn't always operate in logical ways.

    I think it's not so long ago that we had the "Betamax Vs VHS" stuff with the far inferior VHS winning out. Similarly Tape vs Minidisc --although that fiasco was caused mainly by the rediculous amounts of DRM applied to music recorded on Minidisc just when people were starting to get used to the idea of digital music.

    Plenty of other examples.

    A Windows phone isn't going to hack it in the modern market -- in any case loads of apps that [people use daily are entirely missing from the Windows phone so anybody switching from an iPhone or an Andoid phone will be sorely disappointed.

    I think also the idea of people doing a lot of Work "On the Move" these days is beginning to get a bit dated -- with decent fast Internet available everywhere most people - even if they travel - can do their work on a proper computer in much more relaxed surroundings than in the tight confines of a Plane or Train (or even a Bus) so the emphasis on creating a full office suite for a mobile phone just to me these days seems totally BONKERS and so "Last Century".

    The old adage "Work Smarter - not Harder" still applies. Thank goodness Work / Life balance is coming back big time - finally. If you want to see people who probably will be hospital cases by the time they are 50 just go into any airport lounge and look at some of the "lower order" professionals who are using Business class for the first time all clicking away doing Office stuff !! --while I'm enjoying a nice PROPER Drink watching the latest episode of Game of Thrones --and I usually arrive at my meeting far more prepared and relaxed than the other crowd !!!!.

    I don't need or want to be connected to a computer all the time --why should I even THINK of running backups from my phone or checking emails every few minutes --probably having to discard hundreds of emails from stores you bought a single product 7 years ago !!! offering stuff "you can't possibly do without". No there are times to keep both PHONE and COMPUTER SWITCHED OFF --just pull out a Kindle and have a great read.

    Ms has some really good stuff in the field of AI and robotics for instance --it's time to put Windows Mobile out of its misery and save the shareholders some dosh.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    Wow Jimbo, how'd you know I'm 50? :-) Unfortunately, this is true as far as my generation. We have taken a beating, and although work/life is coming back, it's still bad out here. Although I do agree that the days of working airplanes is very yesterday. I expect those you see are the next generation of the overworked who believe saying yes to every project will somehow get them ahead and secure in their position. At least until their first layoff, or first reorg when they find their position removed and find themselves doing work they had done two years earlier. (Not that I'm cynical or bitter. Just jaded.)

    To your point on devices though, you are so spot on. The only time I use my phone for apps is sitting in a doctor's office, to your earlier point on being 50, and waiting to be called in. Otherwise I have a full laptop with me, albeit with an 11 inch screen, but not a netbook.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10.    19 Jun 2016 #20

    Winuser said: View Post
    None of my local networks news and warning apps work on my Windows Phone. Some stores in my area have apps that when used your earn discounts and the only work on Android and Apple. The Walmart Pharmacy has a app and it only works on Android and Apple.
    I have an Android phone and in my experience the dedicated apps from news orgs and store chains, etc, are a mixed bag; some provide better functionality compared with a browser and some don't (and some are worse). I've tried and dumped quite a few of them and open the sites in Chrome or Dolphin instead. I wouldn't let the lack of these specialty apps prevent me from getting a Windows phone if the core functionality and integration with the desktop is there.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Related Threads
After holding what might be the device event of the year, Microsoft’s CEO Satya Nadella met with Nilay Patel to discuss the new hardware and his vision for the company. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcoS9aQItgA&feature=youtu.be
Read the rest here.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:55.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums