Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
  1.    21 Apr 2015 #381
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,660
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Winuser View Post
    I did a clean install of 10056 on my laptop. After using it for a few hours I formatted the SSD and clean installed 10049 for my wife to try. Now I have 10056 in a VM on my Windows 8.1.1 drive and 10049 installed on a separate drive in my desktop. I'm not sure how long I'll keep my VM. I'm not a big fan of using a VM.
    You should get one of those hard drive caddy to swap with your DVD drive so you can install an extra test hard drive. I am sure you don't use that DVD-ROM all the time.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dv4_caddy_HDD_insertsm.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	17311
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    21 Apr 2015 #382
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 194
    Win10

    IDE Caddy


    Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
    You should get one of those hard drive caddy to swap with your DVD drive so you can install an extra test hard drive. I am sure you don't use that DVD-ROM all the time.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dv4_caddy_HDD_insertsm.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	17311
    I've got an old IDE caddy that I haven't used in years. I was never able to boot from a drive in the caddy.
    Yours appears to be SATA........... can you boot from that drive?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    21 Apr 2015 #383
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    u'k
    Posts : 65
    Windows 10 64Bit Build 10240

    I am waiting for my new case to arrive so I can do just that hot swap boot drives
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    21 Apr 2015 #384
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,660
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I've got an old IDE caddy that I haven't used in years. I was never able to boot from a drive in the caddy.
    Yours appears to be SATA........... can you boot from that drive?

    No I don't have one but my friend does. He can boot from it. I am not sure if the option to boot is supported in IDE.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    21 Apr 2015 #385
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 828
    Windows 10 Pro
    Thread Starter

    WZor@WZorNET 11h11 hours ago View translation@Tumik_ вот знающие люди уточняют, 29 апреля в 14 часов по GMT станет доступна через WU сборка 10069.0.150419-0022, вот тогда и пощупаем ...
    View translation Translated from Russian by Bing Wrong translation?

    @Tumik_ Here are knowledgeable people say, 29 April at 2:0 pm GMT will be available via WU Assembly 10069.0.150419-0022, poŝupaem and then...

    as expected no new official build till next week at build
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    21 Apr 2015 #386
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    Posts : 5,544
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
    You should get one of those hard drive caddy to swap with your DVD drive so you can install an extra test hard drive. I am sure you don't use that DVD-ROM all the time.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dv4_caddy_HDD_insertsm.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	17311
    Sometimes I'll go months without using it. I could make a extra partition on one of my 2 TB hard drives and triple boot.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    21 Apr 2015 #387

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrys View Post
    But Eminent, then you have to reinstall all the 3d party programs....right???

    That takes a lot of time also.

    Jeff
    Yeah, but there are programs to assist with that for those that have many. I only have 10 or so. Getting fresh versions feels cleaner too.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    22 Apr 2015 #388
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Texas
    Posts : 220
    Win 10 Pro 64 bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    I've got an old IDE caddy that I haven't used in years. I was never able to boot from a drive in the caddy.
    Yours appears to be SATA........... can you boot from that drive?
    I have two sata caddys containing SSD's. I have Win 7 and Win 10 each on a separate SSD and you can boot from either at the startup selection screen. Works perfect for continued use of your prior OS and be able to test Win 10. Also saves opening case and unhooking drives during any clean install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    22 Apr 2015 #389
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    Posts : 194
    Win10

    Drive Caddy


    Quote Originally Posted by stealth2920 View Post
    I have two sata caddys containing SSD's. I have Win 7 and Win 10 each on a separate SSD and you can boot from either at the startup selection screen. Works perfect for continued use of your prior OS and be able to test Win 10. Also saves opening case and unhooking drives during any clean install.
    Thanks,
    I'm aware of the advantages a caddy provides but my caddy is IDE and one of the first to hit the market.
    I can't boot from it and was wondering if IDE boot is not supported from a caddy, or maybe my caddy is simply too old, or maybe it's busted
    When I hit the lottery I might give a SATA caddy a shot
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    22 Apr 2015 #390
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,660
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Thanks,
    I'm aware of the advantages a caddy provides but my caddy is IDE and one of the first to hit the market.
    I can't boot from it and was wondering if IDE boot is not supported from a caddy, or maybe my caddy is simply too old, or maybe it's busted
    When I hit the lottery I might give a SATA caddy a shot
    It could also be the motherboard not supporting it not necessarily the caddy.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 39 of 42 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
BSOD Randomly when doing anything - Build 10056
Hi. I'm getting a BSOD I've googled the error code and could see it was a RAM Memory Issue. This is not the case. I'm on Build 10056. Tested other RAM in the computer and the same issue occurs. It's random and I can't say when it happens Only...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Windows 10 build 10056: New animations and a resizable Start menu
Read more: Windows 10 build 10056: New animations and a resizable Start menu
Windows 10 News
Windows 10 build 10056: Everything you need to know
Read more: Windows 10 build 10056: Everything you need to know | Windows Central
Windows 10 News
Build 10056 Screenshots Leaked
Some new Start UI changes and 'Another new Recycle Bin Icon'??? 16412 16413
Windows Insider
Gallery: Windows 10 build 10056
Read more: Gallery: Windows 10 build 10056
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums