Windows 10: Microsoft continues campaign to shut down stupid software pirates

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       06 Jun 2016 #31

    I hate to open another can of worms. Microsoft has a problems with some of the windows 10 store apps. You can't really tell if the store apps is legit or legal in your country. There are a lot of questionable store apps I have came across that could be against the DCMA or other laws. I was hoping using a windows 10 store app, I wouldn't have to worry about getting stuff that is illegal in my jurisdiction. You can usually tell if something is legal or not when using a web browser. When using an windows 10 store app free or paid, you have no idea if it is legal or not in your country.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    06 Jun 2016 #32

    groze said: View Post
    I hate to open another can of worms. Microsoft has a problems with some of the windows 10 store apps. You can't really tell if the store apps is legit or legal in your country. There are a lot of questionable store apps I have came across that could be against the DCMA or other laws. I was hoping using a windows 10 store app, I wouldn't have to worry about getting stuff that is illegal in my jurisdiction. You can usually tell if something is legal or not when using a web browser. When using an windows 10 store app free or paid, you have no idea if it is legal or not in your country.
    I don't think so. Not every app is available in every country. Let's take Netflix as an example. It's available in countries that Netflix is available but not in countries that Netflix is available. I have no idea of the apps your talking about but I highly doubt any exist.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    06 Jun 2016 #33

    I don't know what app your referring to. I would think they would have a link with more info or a link to a home page that would say if it's not legal in certain countries.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    06 Jun 2016 #34

    I think some folks are forgetting that in most new systems have built in Serial numbers now days (UEFI). that number is assigned to a specific Windows (Home, Home P., Pro, etc.), Thus if your system crashes you can use any copy of the windows OS that came with your system.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    06 Jun 2016 #35

    another excuse that makes me laugh is; it cost to much. I just don't make enough money to buy it, so I have no choice accept to private a copy. I use Office 16. It cost me about Ten Dollars a month that Microsoft has my permission to to charge my CC each month. . .not big deal. . .
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    06 Jun 2016 #36

    Lee said: View Post
    another excuse that makes me laugh is; it cost to much. I just don't make enough money to buy it, so I have no choice accept to private a copy. I use Office 16. It cost me about Ten Dollars a month that Microsoft has my permission to to charge my CC each month. . .not big deal. . .
    They have enough money to build/buy a custom system but can't afford to buy a legit OS. Definitely a poor excuse.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    07 Jun 2016 #37

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    I don't think so. Not every app is available in every country. Let's take Netflix as an example. It's available in countries that Netflix is available but not in countries that Netflix is available. I have no idea of the apps your talking about but I highly doubt any exist.
    Hi there

    Your Netflix is actually a BAD example as it illustrates the point a previous poster was making about whether an app from the Ms store is legal in your country.

    Netflix is available in a huge number of places but content is often very different depending on where Netflix "Thinks" your subscription is based -- and from the menu etc most customers who don't use Forums etc would probably have no idea of the huge difference in content that Netflix offers. Netflix is centrally based but takes its orders from the content providers so it only shows what it has rights to show and these are often very different in places --getting rid of this geolocation B/S would reduce Piracy far more than messing around with the various Court systems and trying ineffectial Blocking mechanisms.

    Ms is in a somewhat different position as a lot of its work is outsourced or of shored and the Store would have very different problems in ascertaining whether something was legal or not. Plus the store (like Google play store) would be (eventually) filled with zillions of low priced apps - sometimes costing just a few cents. Managing that lot efficiently would probably cost more than the entire worth of Ms itself !!!!.

    I'm not sure though that blantantly illegal apps like say busting 4K encryption on the latest Hi res films would make it through so I don't think the Store would be a problem.

    I tend to avoid these types of "Stores" anyway so in my case the issue doesn't arise.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 2,554
    Windows 10 Home x64: 1607 Redstone (1) Build 14393.1198
       07 Jun 2016 #38

    Lee said: View Post
    another excuse that makes me laugh is; it cost to much. I just don't make enough money to buy it, so I have no choice accept to private a copy. I use Office 16. It cost me about Ten Dollars a month that Microsoft has my permission to to charge my CC each month. . .not big deal. . .
    I pay £5.99 a month for Office 2016 which is me is ok would rather pay and have all the extras and updates than not pay and have an illegal copy and it ether don't work or keeps crashing the computer.
    Also Netflix which I have both on my phone and laptop
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 4,765
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       07 Jun 2016 #39

    Cluster Head said: View Post
    Microsoft continues campaign to shut down stupid software pirates
    Like a bank robber who uses the same get-away car dozens of times, alleged thieves used the same IP address to activate more than 1,000 copies of Windows and Office




    Raed more: http://www.computerworld.com/article...e-pirates.html
    Campaign all they want.
    As long as pirating is profitable, it will continue and can't be stopped.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 730
    Windows 1.00 to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Build 14971.1000
       07 Jun 2016 #40

    We have Netflix in Ireland and you can only stream stuff that's legal in Ireland. They have also put a system in place to detected which country you are based. Don't know if this works. Never tried it.

    As an aside, when I got through to their call centre it was in the US! Usually I get through to India or China.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Source: Announcing the Microsoft HoloLens campaign | Building Apps for Windows Vote or Share idea at: Share Your Idea | HoloLens
Windows 10 is now a recommended download in Windows Update 62021 Read more:...
Read more: https://t.co/EtNcD3JCra
http://www.cnet.com/news/windows-10-whats-on-tap/?tag=nl.e404&s_cid=e404&ttag=e404&ftag=CAD1acfa04
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:26.
Find Us