Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    02 Jun 2016 #11
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    PA, USA
    Posts : 476
    Windows 10 Pro (Mix of Builds) / Linux Mint

    Samsung's fault, plain and simple.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    02 Jun 2016 #12
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Posts : 1,784
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    I have Windows 10 installed on a Toshiba laptop more than 7 years old. Everything is running perfectly, including 5GHz wi-fi. Only Windows-related problem is the BIOS doesn't support UEFI boot. Also, startup is a little slow even with SSD since the laptop predates SATA III. But there are worse problems with Samsung?
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    02 Jun 2016 #13
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 262
    Windows 10

    All of this is likely out of Samsung hands. All the components are usually 3rd party. Like most have an intel chipset, realtek sound card, nvidia/amd/intel video card, perhaps marvell sata chipset too. These 3rd parties need to release the drivers not Samsung.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    02 Jun 2016 #14

    Quote Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
    All of this is likely out of Samsung hands. All the components are usually 3rd party. Like most have an intel chipset, realtek sound card, nvidia/amd/intel video card, perhaps marvell sata chipset too. These 3rd parties need to release the drivers not Samsung.
    Yes but the components makers release their components and the OEM's modify them for their specs. Example if you go to the component makers site like Nvidia they will have a disclaimer to advising laptop drivers from the OEM and not from their site. This is why MS has RTM (release to manufacturing) right before a product release.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    02 Jun 2016 #15
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 262
    Windows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by orlbuckeye View Post
    Yes but the components makers release their components and the OEM's modify them for their specs. Example if you go to the component makers site like Nvidia they will have a disclaimer to advising laptop drivers from the OEM and not from their site. This is why MS has RTM (release to manufacturing) right before a product release.
    I really doubt the companies modify them much, if you extract the drivers you'll see they have the exact same date stamps and file sizes. It's just Nvidias way of not being held liable if something happens, gives them an out saying to talk to the company that made your PC/Notebook/Tablet etc.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    02 Jun 2016 #16
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    PA, USA
    Posts : 476
    Windows 10 Pro (Mix of Builds) / Linux Mint

    True enough, most of the time you can skip the OEM drivers depending on what they are for, and go with the HW manufacturer's.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    02 Jun 2016 #17
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 513
    10x64

    Quote Originally Posted by PJLLB View Post
    After a almost a year as a released product and the significant preview ahead of that, Samsung has dropped the ball for drivers. For anyone with one of their Smart TVs, this is no surprise -- their software writing abilities are the worst.
    Yes, whenever a company asks customers not to upgrade to a particular OS version it has nothing to do with the OS and everything to do with the hardware company being far behind the curve in creating drivers for its products that support the new OS version, whatever it may be. It is decidedly not up to Microsoft to create drivers for the hardware other companies manufacture and sell. It took almost a year from the Windows 10 trial Microsoft shipped IIRC for Samsung to create a Win10-compatible version of Magician for my EVO 850 that supported Samsung's SSD Rapid Mode. Rapid Mode works now in all versions of Win10 I've used, but I don't think anyone really needs it--all it does is use a large pool of system ram to cache the drive--denying it to applications or games that may ask for it. It allows the running of really, really fast benchmarks, but in actual practice the drives run no faster than they do with with Rapid Mode disabled (disabled is the default setting anyway.) Unless you have 16GB's or more of ram installed I wouldn't even try it temporarily. Some companies are simply better than others at creating OS drivers for the hardware they sell--Samsung has enormous room for improvement.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    02 Jun 2016 #18
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 513
    10x64

    Quote Originally Posted by RWOne View Post
    True enough, most of the time you can skip the OEM drivers depending on what they are for, and go with the HW manufacturer's.
    A bit of semantics...the Original Equipment Manufacturer is the Hardware manufacturer... The drivers that Microsoft ships with the OS are rudimentary drivers meant only to get you booted and up and running so that you can connect to the Internet and download and install the OEM drivers... Also, if the manufacturer of the hardware doesn't send Microsoft a basic driver then that hardware will not be supported at installation by Windows and will have to come from the OEM via the Internet before the device will be useful in the new OS.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    02 Jun 2016 #19

    Quote Originally Posted by waltc View Post
    A bit of semantics...the Original Equipment Manufacturer is the Hardware manufacturer... The drivers that Microsoft ships with the OS are rudimentary drivers meant only to get you booted and up and running so that you can connect to the Internet and download and install the OEM drivers... Also, if the manufacturer of the hardware doesn't send Microsoft a basic driver then that hardware will not be supported at installation by Windows and will have to come from the OEM via the Internet before the device will be useful in the new OS.
    But in all fairness, let us face it, Windows 10 has been like a moving target for the past year. I can't keep count the number of different versions and changes they have put into place. How on gods earth, can any manufacture be expected to try and keep up with that. As I stated time and again, I usually never switch OS until it has been on the market for at least 2 years. That is what I did with 98, XP and my move to Windows 7. With Windows 10, I could be waiting for 5 years to switch (I doubt I ever will), until they decide to stop tinkering.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    03 Jun 2016 #20
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 901
    Windows 10 Home x64

    Making statements like these (by Samsung) is like shooting themselves in their feet. And what a lazy attitude for a big company like that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Cant install windows 10 on my new samsung ssd drive.
hello, for couple of days, breaking my head tring to figure out what im doing wrong, or what else i can do . i used to have as my C:\ drive a kingstone 120gb SSD drive . due to lack of space, i bought 250GB SSD samsung evo-850 drive. i...
Installation and Upgrade
Please help! Win10 install won't detect Samsung 950 pro (MSI Z170a M7)
Hi all, I'm new to the tenforums (nice to meet you all) and need some guidance on getting Windows 10 working on a 950 pro using an MSI Z170a gaming M7 motherboard. I want to remap the disk controller from SATA to PCI-E which the motherboard...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved W10 install fails on samsung 700ZA3
Hi all, I'm coming to you with my problem. I had W8.1 on my laptop. I finally decided few days ago to upgrade to W10. Upgrade went "well" matter of speaking, because everything was very slow and buggy. So i've decided to reinstall on clean...
Installation and Upgrade
New WIN 10 Install on new SAMSUNG EVO 250GB SSD
This is just what is says. A fresh win 10 install on a new SSD. Do not explain to me about cloning. To date I've upgraded the BIOS (UEFI) on a ASUS P67 Performance Gen3 motherboard. I've changed the SATA Mode to AHCI. I can see the drive in...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved Samsung SCX-4500 printer work on upgrade but not fresh install
I upgrades to Win 10 the the above network/wireless printer worked fine. I've now done a fresh install and it doesn't! The scanning function works but trying to print produces an error. I've been advised by Samsung support that their driver...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums