Windows 10: How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
  1.    26 May 2016 #81

    groze said: View Post
    @alphanumeric


    So, if you click the x thinking you are cancelling the upgrade, does it still show the EULA when it starts to install? If not, that could be an issue with U.S. state's contract laws and possible the FTC. Contract laws very by state. I am not an attorney this is just my opinion.
    I haven't gotten the GWX popup this thread is talking about yet. All the screens I got so far are from an OOBE update/change. It was something unexpected and on topic so I posted it. My original intent was to see the GWX App first hand for myself. I'm just waiting for that screen to pop up. I'll post back when it does.
    For the Windows update screen I posted, clicking the red X just closes the Window. Nothing happened when I did that. Opening Windows update again after that just opened back to where it was when I closed it. If I did nothing and waited long enough, windows update started installing the 8.1 updates all on its own. It did its normal thing. The upgrade to Windows 10 message went away and the progress showed.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 4,765
    windows 10 Home threshold2
    Thread Starter
       26 May 2016 #82

    Have you folks done any googling this past 2 days ?
    There are pages and pages of this alleged Microsoft "trick".
    I feel sorry for the Win 7 and 8 users.
    Last edited by davidhk; 26 May 2016 at 11:38.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    26 May 2016 #83

    davidhk said: View Post
    Have you folks done any googling this past 2 days ?
    There are pages and pages of this alleged Microsoft "trick".
    I feel sorry for the Win 7 and 8 users.
    This OOBE patch that I was presented with is even worse IMHO. I didn't even get to log in for the first time before the prompts to upgrade started. There are quit a few MVP's, like me, up in arms about it. It seems to be falling on deaf ears though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 62
    Windows 10 Home, build 10586.218
       26 May 2016 #84

    I don't get it? What's the problem here?

    Just below the date it says: "Click here to change upgrade schedule or cancel scheduled upgrade". I'm referring to screenshot Cluster Head posted & zooburner quoted on 4th page.

    Computer was clearly set to update on May 16th, so if you click on X, you took NO action to change that. Nothing, you just closed the window. It's not enabling update, update has already been scheduled somehow (that part is interesting, but I'm pretty sure user already clicked something before that). I was on Windows 7 for a while and I never had any issues with MS forcing update on me..

    It just looks like people are out for blood without even realizing there are options... same with alpha doing all that testing - first thing I saw on those screenshots was DECLINE option. Come on...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails microsoft-says-it-s-not-playing-dirty-with-windows-10-upgrades-504510-2.jpg  
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       26 May 2016 #85

    Clam said: View Post
    I don't get it? What's the problem here?

    Just below the date it says: "Click here to change upgrade schedule or cancel scheduled upgrade". I'm referring to screenshot Cluster Head posted & zooburner quoted on 4th page.

    Computer was clearly set to update on May 16th, so if you click on X, you took NO action to change that. Nothing, you just closed the window. It's not enabling update, update has already been scheduled somehow (that part is interesting, but I'm pretty sure user already clicked something before that). I was on Windows 7 for a while and I never had any issues with MS forcing update on me..

    That because previously you had to click the "X" to cancel the upgrade and there was not a link to "Click here to change upgrade schedule or cancel scheduled upgrade"
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    26 May 2016 #86

    groze said: View Post
    That because previously you had to click the "X" to cancel the upgrade and there was not a link to "Click here to change upgrade schedule or cancel scheduled upgrade"
    That's not a big enough difference to get all worked up about, IMO. It's really the same thing just a different action/location to press a button/link to get the same result., MS is allowed to change how the popup looks I think.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    26 May 2016 #87

    Reading all that stuff is so hard...

    This is much ado about nothing.

    Meh :\
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    26 May 2016 #88

    Clam said: View Post
    I don't get it? What's the problem here?

    Just below the date it says: "Click here to change upgrade schedule or cancel scheduled upgrade". I'm referring to screenshot Cluster Head posted & zooburner quoted on 4th page.

    Computer was clearly set to update on May 16th, so if you click on X, you took NO action to change that. Nothing, you just closed the window. It's not enabling update, update has already been scheduled somehow (that part is interesting, but I'm pretty sure user already clicked something before that). I was on Windows 7 for a while and I never had any issues with MS forcing update on me..

    It just looks like people are out for blood without even realizing there are options... same with alpha doing all that testing - first thing I saw on those screenshots was DECLINE option. Come on...
    The problem is that you shouldn't have to click on anything to cancel the upgrade. You should only have to click on a link if you want to upgrade. In the screenshot your talking about what happens if you didn't see that box or you was to busy and didn't read it? You wind up with a upgrade you didn't ask for or want. Time for the free upgrade is coming to a end soon and MS is trying their best to trick the people who don't want to upgrade to upgrade anyhow.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    26 May 2016 #89

    Agree, Winuser. I have just been rung by a person I know saying his computer is upgrading. He has been away for four weeks so had little control over this. Now I just hope the accounting software, gate security, till link still works.

    It should be opt in NOT opt out.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 1,468
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.1 MATE (64 bit), W10IP VM, W10 Home
       26 May 2016 #90

    linw said: View Post
    It should be opt in NOT opt out.
    We seen this before with the "MS Account vs Local Account" debacle.

    MS "hides" any options they don't want you to use using tiny links.
    Whereas the options they want you to use, all have giant buttons.

    What's next?
    Hide all of the undesirable options (to MS) in the EULA dialog (because they know nobody reads it)?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Related Threads
A few minutes ago, a message balloon popped-up in the notification area formerly known as the system tray that said "msft virtual scsi mounted to F:", as near as I can remember. It went away after a few seconds, and did not leave a message in the...
Read more: Microsoft to Release Low-Cost/Free Windows 10 with Bing Branding - Softpedia
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:08.
Find Us