Windows 10: How MSFT's tricky new Windows 10 pop-up deceives you into upgrading

Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
  1.    10 Jun 2016 #270

    Vince Massi said: View Post
    Mr. Bill writes: "Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Microsoft is so out of touch with the average user today that they think everyone just knows Windows. So their market team made an ignorant error going this route, and they just don't hear all the public outcry that has been going on for six months."

    Well, these are the same geniuses who decided not to include a Start Button on Windows 8.
    It's not ignorance... rather arrogance - MS knows exactly their business plan for Win 10.

    So too was the Start button/screen with Win 8...

    I thought, however, the Insider program was a great way of pulsing the users, to get an idea what they want... maybe the feedback is reviewed more with a "what's best for us" mindset. Slightly off-topic but just thinking what might happen behind closed closed doors at Redmond.
    Being in corporate as long as I have, it's politics, is always a concern.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    10 Jun 2016 #271

    Superfly said: View Post
    It's not ignorance... rather arrogance - MS knows exactly their business plan for Win 10.

    So too was the Start button/screen with Win 8...

    I thought, however, the Insider program was a great way of pulsing the users, to get an idea what they want... maybe the feedback is reviewed more with a "what's best for us" mindset. Slightly off-topic but just thinking what might happen behind closed closed doors at Redmond.
    Being in corporate as long as I have, it's politics, is always a concern.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    10 Jun 2016 #272

    This new perpetual Windows will mean no more trying to sell the public the next version. You're just one Windows update away from the version everybody else is running. Once Windows 7 and 8 fade into the distance there will only be the constantly evolving Windows 10. Upgrades will be delivered via Windows update, which consumers can't run off. Another reason to try and get everybody to upgrade to the current Windows now. I like, the current iteration, of Windows 10. Problem is, I may hate it this time next year when if it ends up being radically different.

    The similar interface across all devices is alienating some. They don't want their PC acting/looking like a Phone and vice versa. I don't own a Windows Phone so I can't comment on that. I know I would be happy if my XBOX was more PC like than it is. It's likely closer to 10 Mobile than 10 on the PC. Feels restrictive to me compared to my PC. No GWX App on the XBOX though, lol.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,337
    W10 pro x64 and W8.1 x86
       10 Jun 2016 #273

    I wouldn't count on W10 being perpetual. MS show end of mainstream support for W10 as being October 2020 and end of extended support as October 2025.

    Technology marches on. Its just not viable (or even possible) to have a 'one size fits all' operating system.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    10 Jun 2016 #274

    Mooly said: View Post
    I wouldn't count on W10 being perpetual. MS show end of mainstream support for W10 as being October 2020 and end of extended support as October 2025.

    Technology marches on. Its just not viable (or even possible) to have a 'one size fits all' operating system.
    They have to show some date. I also expect the 10 to be dropped from the name at some point. As of right now that is their plan, continuous updates to Windows 10. It could all change at the next board meeting though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 1,337
    W10 pro x64 and W8.1 x86
       10 Jun 2016 #275

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    It could all change at the next board meeting though.
    Hehe :) Absolutely
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    10 Jun 2016 #276

    The continuously updated/upgraded approach does work though, IMHO. If you buy a Windows PC your paying for a license to run "Windows" on that device. And it will stay current via Windows update. No having to pay for any upgrade to the next version. For Microsoft it means only ever having to patch the current build. Even with Mobile, Desktop, XBOX versions, its just the one current version/build to be patched. Not counting Insider builds that is.

    The down side is if you don't like the changes Microsoft pushes forward. Stay on the old build and no more patches for you, I'm guessing?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8. DooGie's Avatar
    Posts : 4,229
    Wndows 10 x64 Home version 1809
       10 Jun 2016 #277

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    The down side is if you don't like the changes Microsoft pushes forward. Stay on the old build and no more patches for you, I'm guessing?
    You could end up with another thread like this one :)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    10 Jun 2016 #278

      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    10 Jun 2016 #279

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    The continuously updated/upgraded approach does work though, IMHO. If you buy a Windows PC your paying for a license to run "Windows" on that device. And it will stay current via Windows update. No having to pay for any upgrade to the next version. For Microsoft it means only ever having to patch the current build. Even with Mobile, Desktop, XBOX versions, its just the one current version/build to be patched. Not counting Insider builds that is.

    The down side is if you don't like the changes Microsoft pushes forward. Stay on the old build and no more patches for you, I'm guessing?
    I think there is a bigger problem with perpetual upgrades, what happens when hardware is no longer supported ? Or an upgrade wont work with newer machines, will the update be clever enough to not keep updating ? Will update just break windows on older hardware?

    We will effectively have a different version of a universal windows running at least if you have numbered versions you can stay on the one that works, for as long as you use the system.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Related Threads
A few minutes ago, a message balloon popped-up in the notification area formerly known as the system tray that said "msft virtual scsi mounted to F:", as near as I can remember. It went away after a few seconds, and did not leave a message in the...
Read more: Microsoft to Release Low-Cost/Free Windows 10 with Bing Branding - Softpedia
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45.
Find Us