Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1.    15 May 2016 #41
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Kenner
    Posts : 221
    Windows 10 Home x64

    After the update I had a problem with the Windows DVD Player App. It was grayed out and would not connect. Got error 0X00000005.
    Ran system restore and the Windows DVD Player App worked. Tuesday's updates ran again and the Windows DVD Player App appeared to be ok till I went to a local user, it turned gray and would not connect. I then decided to hide Windows Updates KB3152599 (not sure why I got this one) and KB3156421, going back to the previous restore point, allowing the other updates to install. The Windows DVD App working again for all users.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    15 May 2016 #42
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10

    @gtspeck: how do you hide an update? glad to see your posting, seems like a bit of a nightmare to not be able to just get an update alert & decide if you want to take it now - or want to put it off & the whole idea of the default of restarting to install when D/L is done is scary, what if your battery is low? the screen says not to turn off your computer; & there is no progress bar…?!

    Yes, I have setting for delaying install of update; but what about the option to not take it now?

    Not just complaining- To All: would like to know what would happen if battery dies during install of update?

    tia, oldwolf
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    15 May 2016 #43
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Forever West
    Posts : 3,986
    Win10 Home and Pro, Win10 Insider Preview, Win7 Home, Linux Mint

    Quote Originally Posted by oldwolf View Post
    Not just complaining- To All: would like to know what would happen if battery dies during install of update?

    tia, oldwolf
    The conventional wisdom and most warnings say to do important or long duration installs and updates on Notebooks WITH the battery installed and having the power supply plugged into a power source just to avoid problems. If an update or Upgrade fails due to power loss it could mean reinstalling the Operating System and all programs plus loss of personal data. The same applies to Desktop computers in having them plugged into a UPS/Uninterruptible Power Supply, especially in areas of unstable power sources. As a sidenote, I have seen HDDs get their format changed to RAW in such sudden power failures, difficult to recover from. Years ago wife's motherboard was damaged by short sharp power bumps, would have been cheaper to have a UPS on it [actually now have on all my computers].
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    15 May 2016 #44
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Kenner
    Posts : 221
    Windows 10 Home x64
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    15 May 2016 #45
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 120
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit

    I remember few power cuts from my childhood. But been years (more then 20) I have not seen power cuts anymore!

    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    The conventional wisdom and most warnings say to do important or long duration installs and updates on Notebooks WITH the battery installed and having the power supply plugged into a power source just to avoid problems. If an update or Upgrade fails due to power loss it could mean reinstalling the Operating System and all programs plus loss of personal data. The same applies to Desktop computers in having them plugged into a UPS/Uninterruptible Power Supply, especially in areas of unstable power sources. As a sidenote, I have seen HDDs get their format changed to RAW in such sudden power failures, difficult to recover from. Years ago wife's motherboard was damaged by short sharp power bumps, would have been cheaper to have a UPS on it [actually now have on all my computers].
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    16 May 2016 #46
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 15
    Windows 10 pro

    In my area (northside of Chicago) it is quite common to have power surges and power failures during storms and even lately. seems like Com Ed doesn't maintain anything.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    16 May 2016 #47
    Join Date : May 2016
    Posts : 4
    Windows 10

    Hi there,

    Here big problems with the KB3156421 update. Got it downloaded and installed. But during restart it continious deletes the install. Automaticly or manually, no luck at all.

    Anybody with a solution?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    16 May 2016 #48
    Join Date : May 2015
    Posts : 448
    Redstone_Four

    Quote Originally Posted by elrosso View Post
    Hi there,

    Here big problems with the KB3156421 update. Got it downloaded and installed. But during restart it continious deletes the install. Automaticly or manually, no luck at all.

    Anybody with a solution?
    Welcome to the Ten forums Elrosso
    Did you try sfc /scannow in command prompt (admin)? Did you try to run Ccleaner to see if something is wrong. You may also wana try to reset WU: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/kb/971058.
    Good luck! If the problem persist you may have to redo a clean install. I was having a similar issue but things are back to normal now.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    22 May 2016 #49
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 45
    windows 10 pro

    And yes exactly after 1 week Start menu stops working.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    It seems this update fixed my broken apps (because of attempts repair non working start menu)
    Start menu works again as well, but that's normal after an update. Normally it's only for a week or so. Let's see how long the fun will last.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    22 May 2016 #50
    Join Date : Apr 2016
    Posts : 7
    Windows 10

    thanks for the reply gspeck!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 KB3140741
70940 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3140741
Windows 10 News
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 KB3136562
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 KB3136562 62009 10.0.10586.79.th2_release_inmarket.160128-1935 62011 Manually download: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB3136562
Windows 10 News
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 KB3124262
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 KB3124262 61078 Manually download: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB3124262 Direct download Links: x64:...
Windows 10 News
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 KB3124263
58497 Restart required. Manually download: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB3124263 Direct download links: Windows 10: x86:
Windows 10 News
Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 (KB3118754)
Information: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3118754 http://i.imgur.com/kwu3YFd.png
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:43.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums