I appreciate everyone letting me vent in silence a few pages back. Thanks...I needed the space...
I've been trying to troubleshoot my problems since Microsoft is not being much help, and it seems that in 14316 even though it's up and running with only a few overt bugs evident, I have some component store corruption in the build that I cannot fix. Here's what I've done:
1) sfc /scannow says everything is as it should be--no corruption detected.
2) DISM xxx/scan-health says that I have "repairable" component store corruption
3) DISM xxx/restore-health runs but fails at 96.2% every time, citing a remote procedure call error.
4) Per a Microsoft employee's suggestion in another thread I stopped the the Windows search .svc and tried restore-health again--but with the same result.
5) I made my own .iso from the 14316 .esd, and did an in-place upgrade, which should have been the same as a repair reinstall, and I was hopeful but DISM still says the component store corruption is there but "repairable"--so no gain accomplished.
I really, really do not want to do a clean install since I have a lot installed--but besides that, I want to test the way Microsoft intended I test, and I gather that is with upgrades, mostly, since official .isos are few and far between (which is why I wish that Microsoft would release an .iso for every test build, but that's neither here nor there.)
Anyone have any ideas? Here's the appropriate DISM log entry...
DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=5832 TID=5024 Failed finalizing changes. - CDISMPackageManager::Internal_Finalize(hr:0x800706be)
2016-04-29 14:57:30, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=5832 TID=5024 Failed processing package changes with session option CbsSessionOptionRepairStoreCorruption - CDISMPackageManager::RestoreHealth(hr:0x800706be)
2016-04-29 14:57:30, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=5832 TID=5024 Failed to restore the image health. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ProcessCmdLine_CleanupImage(hr:0x800706be)
2016-04-29 14:57:30, Error DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=5832 TID=5024 Failed while processing command cleanup-image. - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine(hr:0x800706be)
2016-04-29 14:57:30, Info DISM DISM Package Manager: PID=5832 TID=5024 Further logs for online package and feature related operations can be found at %WINDIR%\logs\CBS\cbs.log - CPackageManagerCLIHandler::ExecuteCmdLine
2016-04-29 14:57:30, Error DISM DISM.EXE: DISM Package Manager processed the command line but failed. HRESULT=800706BE
Here's what the .cbs log says:
2016-04-29 14:57:30, Info CBS ASSERT: Assertion failed in onecore\base\cbs\util\inc\CbsArray.h(607)
Index out of bound.
2016-04-29 14:57:30, Info CBS Failed to FinalizeEx using worker session [HRESULT = 0x800706be]