Windows 10: Windows 10: The installation interface has been updated

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 8,295
    Windows 10 Professional
       08 Mar 2015 #11

    Winuser said: View Post
    I would have to sit back and relax. Actually I would probably go something else and keep checking back. To me that is too plain and boring.
    I've always been in the habit of keeping an eye on it because back in the Windows 7 days, if you didn't pull the USB stick out after the first restart, there was a good chance it would start the whole loading process all over again.
    I don't think that's the case anymore.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  2.    08 Mar 2015 #12

    If I had to watch that from beginning to end I would fall asleep.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    08 Mar 2015 #13

    At least it's going to show something and that's always better than nothing in my book.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    08 Mar 2015 #14

    Cliff S said: View Post
    What I'd like to see is as it loads a command prompt window open and watch what and how fast the files and folders are loaded, like in Ubuntu(and other Debian based OSes)
    I would prefer that also. At least you know files are being loaded and the install isn't frozen.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    08 Mar 2015 #15

    Hi there

    So long as it has a Progress Bar (or other progress indicator) then it's fine by me.

    I don't like those oversimplified installs that just tell you when it's ready -- especially if you have one of those machines where you can't see Disk activity either. Otherwise whatever Ms come up with as far as automated install is OK - but it must have re-startable features if for example the install fails half way through (for example you run out of HDD space or Partition too small).

    I don't mind just letting it run - I can go away and have a beer etc --but also I want it to work even IF NOT CONNECTED TO THE NET.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 7,882
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       08 Mar 2015 #16

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    As an option.. maybe but not as a default. What good is seeing files install to your system that you likely have no clue as to their purpose??
    You could see where in the process where it borked at, instead of something happened when the install fails.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    08 Mar 2015 #17

    labeeman said: View Post
    You could see where in the process where it borked at, instead of something happened when the install fails.
    That's true and it would be more helpful when you try to fix the issue if you know where it broke. Never thought of that. Thanks for pointing that out.

    Jeff
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    08 Mar 2015 #18

    Edwin said: View Post
    I've always been in the habit of keeping an eye on it because back in the Windows 7 days, if you didn't pull the USB stick out after the first restart, there was a good chance it would start the whole loading process all over again.
    I don't think that's the case anymore.
    On newer PC's with the one time quick boot BIOS menu option its not. I can hit the esc key on my laptop and boot from my thumb drive for that one boot up. On the next boot it goes back to the BIOS default, my hard drive. I know what your talking about though, in the past you would have to go in and change the boot order manually, and have to switch it back again (or take the CD/DVD out) on the first reboot so the install wouldn't start all over again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 165
    Windows 8.1.1 64-bit
       08 Mar 2015 #19

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    So long as it has a Progress Bar (or other progress indicator) then it's fine by me.

    I don't like those oversimplified installs that just tell you when it's ready -- especially if you have one of those machines where you can't see Disk activity either. Otherwise whatever Ms come up with as far as automated install is OK - but it must have re-startable features if for example the install fails half way through (for example you run out of HDD space or Partition too small).

    I don't mind just letting it run - I can go away and have a beer etc --but also I want it to work even IF NOT CONNECTED TO THE NET.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    AFAIC, that should be mandatory.

    As for the install graphics, I don't care what they look like, so long as I
    can see, in reasonable detail, exactly what's going on.

    A green bar/circle and a percentage just doesn't 'do it' for me.


    Wenda.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 180
    Win 10 64bit with AU
       08 Mar 2015 #20

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    At least it's going to show something and that's always better than nothing in my book.
    Winuser said: View Post
    I would prefer that also. At least you know files are being loaded and the install isn't frozen.
    I agree. I'm not willing to admit to the number of times I've either stopped something, or been tempted to, because there was no indication that anything was happening. Anything that keeps you aware of progress (and ideally of problems too) could help that majority of people who don't do many installs so don't know what to expect.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Related Threads
Read more: Twitter rolls out updated app for Windows 10
The patient is an IBM Thinkpad laptop running the latest build (10130) as part of a dual boot 7 / 10 setup. It has been running 10 without incident for months. All of a sudden, my main account opens in a metro style desktop. Applications open...
Solved no such interface supported in Browsers and Email
When using PROJECT SPARTAN and I go to a website such as https://www.pinterest.com/, or others for that matter, and want to download a picture...I get an error that says no such interface supported. Any help is appreciated!
I'm one of the many that is still using Win7 on my primary machine for continued support/access to only a couple apps. One of those apps is DQSD (dqsd.sf.net), and I don't think I could function without it. Due to the way DQSD is designed (it has a...
Read more: New screenshots reveal more about Spartan browser's interface | Windows Central
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57.
Find Us