Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    16 Mar 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 1,563
    Windows 10 Pro x64 RS 10586.586

    Google Serving Win 10 Edge Browser Users the Old-Style Search Engine


    Google Serving Windows 10 Edge Browser Users the Old-Style Search Engine Layout
    Changing the user agent does the trick, though

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	google-serving-windows-10-edge-browser-users-the-old-style-search-engine-layout-501794-3.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	69699

    Itís not a secret that Googleís isnít quite a supporter of Microsoftís modern platforms, be they Windows 8, Windows 10, Windows Phone, or Windows 10 Mobile, but more recently, the company is making some changes that seem to target directly users of Redmondís operating system.

    For example, users of Microsoft Edge, the new Windows 10 default browser replacing Internet Explorer, see the old-style layout of the Google search page, whereas all other browsers, including here Chrome, Firefox, or Opera, are provided with the modern layout.

    Furthermore, if you load Google Search in Microsoft Edge and change the user agent to whatever browser you want, the page refreshes and loads the modern style design.

    The difference between the old and the new layout on Googleís search page pretty much comes down to the toolbar at the top of the site, which allows you to access other Google services, as well as your Google account settings. In Microsoft Edge, the toolbar extends to the whole screen, and links are posted on black background, while in any other browser, all these options are aligned to the right and have no background.
    Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/googl...t-501794.shtml
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    16 Mar 2016 #2
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    It's really not a big deal in the long run. Google got a bug up somewhere and they provide an older look to their site for Edge.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    16 Mar 2016 #3
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 93
    Windows

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    It's really not a big deal in the long run. Google got a bug up somewhere and they provide an older look to their site for Edge.
    It's the non-touch version of Google search with a very degraded experience for devices with touch capabilities... The browser wars are alive and well, looks like Edge is the new Netscape
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    16 Mar 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    UK
    Posts : 1,001
    W10 pro x86 and W10 x86

    I never knew there were two versions of how it displayed (99% of my browsing is with Bing anyway) but fwiw, I think the black menu bar is much nicer and more understandable and given a choice that is the one I would choose.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    16 Mar 2016 #5
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Posts : 93
    Windows

    Quote Originally Posted by Mooly View Post
    I never knew there were two versions of how it displayed (99% of my browsing is with Bing anyway) but fwiw, I think the black menu bar is much nicer and more understandable and given a choice that is the one I would choose.
    Previously, you could use the "noj" parameter and disable the touch version of Google and instead use the version with the 'black menu': http://www.google.com/?noj=1

    About 3 months ago Google removed that parameter and redirected everyone back to the touch version. You have to completely disable javascript in the browser options to get the non-touch version (black menu)... Hence the browser wars reference, Google has been restricting the WP8 browser with the non-touch version for the last two years and has now expanded that policy to WP10 and included Windows 10 (Edge).

    WP10 and Edge have higher web standards compatibility than even Firefox and there is no reason to restrict the usability of Google search on touch based devices running WP8, WP10 and Windows 10 (Edge). The policy is almost identical to what Microsoft was doing to in the 90s by forcing Netscape users to have a limited and degraded browsing experience, except this time it's Google forcing the degraded experience on WP8, WP10 and Edge (desktop) users
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    16 Mar 2016 #6

    Quote Originally Posted by dmex View Post
    It's the non-touch version of Google search with a very degraded experience for devices with touch capabilities... The browser wars are alive and well, looks like Edge is the new Netscape
    Can Edge use a different user agent string (say IE11) just for the Google search page?
    I'm sure this will be remedied at some point. I don't think Edge is the new Netcape yet.

    One broswer I admit I liked a bit, was the Metro IE 10 on Windows 8 (or the IE 11 version on Windows 8.1 - same thing basically). Too bad that couldn't be retained for Windows 10 (with the same rendering engine that Edge uses).
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    16 Mar 2016 #7
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    UK
    Posts : 18,303
    Windows 10

    Just tried this on WP10, when viewing the full site the black bar is not very easy to use

    The mobile version is still ok, but it keeps prompting to install Google Android Apps
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    16 Mar 2016 #8
    Join Date : Jun 2014
    UK
    Posts : 1,001
    W10 pro x86 and W10 x86

    Quote Originally Posted by dmex View Post
    Previously, you could use the "noj" parameter and disable the touch version of Google and instead use the version with the 'black menu': http://www.google.com/?noj=1

    About 3 months ago Google removed that parameter and redirected everyone back to the touch version. You have to completely disable javascript in the browser options to get the non-touch version (black menu)... Hence the browser wars reference, Google has been restricting the WP8 browser with the non-touch version for the last two years and has now expanded that policy to WP10 and included Windows 10 (Edge).

    WP10 and Edge have higher web standards compatibility than even Firefox and there is no reason to restrict the usability of Google search on touch based devices running WP8, WP10 and Windows 10 (Edge). The policy is almost identical to what Microsoft was doing to in the 90s by forcing Netscape users to have a limited and degraded browsing experience, except this time it's Google forcing the degraded experience on WP8, WP10 and Edge (desktop) users
    Thanks for the detailed explanation and a bit of history. I had no idea tbh. I do hope that Edge goes the distance because its a browser that I've really taken too. Its generally excellent.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    16 Mar 2016 #9
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Bamberg Germany
    Posts : 16,954
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu

    Oh I like it!
    Search Engine toolbars are always good, and easier to find what you want
    Just like Bing's homepage(just not so classy)
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    16 Mar 2016 #10
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff S View Post
    Oh I like it!
    Search Engine toolbars are always good, and easier to find what you want
    Just like Bing's homepage(just not so classy)
    I agree.. I prefer the old style over the new one that Google has.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved How to change search engine back to Google in Address toolbar
I managed to change the search engine to Google in the new Win10 search located in the menu and also in Edge. However, the little address toolbar, that can be added to the taskbar by putting a checkmark in the address toolbar after right clicking...
General Support
Delete Bing search engine and add Google
How do I delete Bing search enging from Microsoft Edge and change to Google. I've already added Google, but how can I delete Bing?
Browsers and Email
Solved can i change the search engine on edge from bing to yahoo
can i change the search engine on edge from bing to yahoo and how do i do it ?
Browsers and Email
Google search engine very slow on windows 10
Since upgrading to windows 10 home, whenever i go online using either Firefox or Edge using google as my search engine it has become very slow when searching. Its not my internet speeds, those are good. When i open either Firefox or Edge the...
Browsers and Email
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:43.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums