Windows 10: Why SSDs are obsolete

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

  1. Posts : 7,882
    Windows 10
       27 Feb 2015 #1

    Why SSDs are obsolete


    SSDs were built because there are billions of SATA and SAS disk ports available. Filling some of those ports with SSDs promised to be quite profitable - a promise fulfilled in the last 5 years.

    But now that non-volatile memory technology - flash today, plus RRAM tomorrow - has been widely accepted, it is time to build systems that use flash directly instead of through our antique storage stacks. The various efforts to decrease latency - SATA 3, NVMe, and others - still add layers of software between our applications and our data, creating complexity and wasting CPU cycles. A recent PhD thesis got me to thinking about this.
    Source
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 4,333
    Win 10 Pro x64
       27 Feb 2015 #2

    It's not actually "wasting CPU cycles" because CPUs are also constantly evolving to meet the processing demands of new hardware.



    I would not call SSDs architecture obsolete but rather "simplified" for better performance.

    Thanks for sharing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    27 Feb 2015 #3

    badrobot said: View Post
    It's not actually "wasting CPU cycles" because CPUs are also constantly evolving to meet the processing demands of new hardware.



    I would not call SSDs architecture obsolete but rather "simplified" for better performance.

    Thanks for sharing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    27 Feb 2015 #4

    They're definitely not antique. Most non tech saavy people would not have heard of SSDs.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 4,333
    Win 10 Pro x64
       27 Feb 2015 #5

    swarfega said: View Post
    They're definitely not antique. Most non tech saavy people would not have heard of SSDs.
    Just a poorly titled article to catch readers' attention. But it's a good read.

    I can probably write about "Why Windows 10 is obsolete?" and talk about flatness of graphics ( which of course affects "speed" in a good way).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    27 Feb 2015 #6

    I'm responsible for any over-simplifications and errors.
    This was the best sentence in the article.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    27 Feb 2015 #7

    Crap I thought the SSD was a good thing, regardless, I still love the quickness over the spinning top.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 713
    Windows 10 Build 14267
       27 Feb 2015 #8

    Sorry Dr. Robin Harris, but you're taking the wrong road.

    SSDs all the way !

    ~update~

    For me:
    SSDs --> OS / Progs
    HDDs --> Mass storage
    External Drive --> Backup

      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    27 Feb 2015 #9

    He's not saying that solid state storage is obsolete, just the idea that you would access this storage as if it were a spinning hard disk, using the same SATA interfaces used for spinning hard drives. It's much more efficient to use an interface designed explicitly for solid state storage.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    27 Feb 2015 #10

    Mystere said: View Post
    He's not saying that solid state storage is obsolete, just the idea that you would access this storage as if it were a spinning hard disk, using the same SATA interfaces used for spinning hard drives. It's much more efficient to use an interface designed explicitly for solid state storage.
    It would be nice if it were out there, albeit if it is then most of us have yet to hear of it. . .or is that just a silly thought.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Related Threads
I have a dual boot system with two SSDs, with Windows 8.1 on one and Build 10240 on the other. At this stage I am confused by all the Microsoft posts about upgrading. Will I be able to upgrade to the new Build on the 29th on my Build 10240...
Solved SSDs detected as CF? in Drivers and Hardware
I have 5 drives installed on my PC (1 HDD and 4 SSDs, the rest are just partitions). I am just wondering what does CF means on 2 of the SSDs. Does it stand for "compact flash"? How to fix this? Or should I just leave it alone? 6911
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:28.
Find Us