Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
  1.    02 Mar 2015 #51
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,188
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
    Yea I'm not sure why a large ssd would be a problem if anyone can afford them go for it
    It's not a problem, but just enough for OS and programs is easier and faster for backup/restore if OS croaks, no loss of data. After 240GB life span expectancy seems to level off so 2x 240GB may be better solution than one 480, at least you can play with dual boot much easier. I'll get a 240GB in few days (just to decide on make), use it for OS and programs so I don't have to install some larger ones to HDD, this 120GB is going to be for experiments with other OSs, 360GB HDD I'm using now is just too slow for that, by the time it boots I forget which OS I installed on it, it's sooooo slow.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  2.    02 Mar 2015 #52
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,617
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    What, so what you are saying is that my two 480 gig SSDs are totally worthless. . .hmmmm! please explain in great detail why I would be so stupid as to go all SSD and not keep at least one HDD. . .
    You always take things in a different way.
    My point is it's a waste of money and impractical. I didn't say it's worthless. But if you really want it, by all means get it.
    I got 5 SSDs and 1 of them is 250 GB that is just lying around. Everything I am using is only 120GB as 120 GB is more than enough for OS and programs. I don't need more than 120 because I want my data separate which goes to 1TB spinners. And the reason for separating them is so that I wouldn't have to worry about my data if I am experimenting or needs to fix my PC when I encountered problems. Plus it's always faster to backup/image a system without the data (between 2 and 5 minutes).
    If I buy a 480GB for OS and programs alone, wow, I don't why I should do that. But it seems that you have your OS and data sharing a drive so good luck with that. Or maybe you have 480GB worth of programs alone. I don"t know.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    02 Mar 2015 #53
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,188
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
    You always take things in a different way.
    My point is it's a waste of money and impractical. I didn't say it's worthless. But if you really want it, by all means get it.
    I got 5 SSDs and 1 of them is 250 GB that is just lying around. Everything I am using is only 120GB as 120 GB is more than enough for OS and programs. I don't need more than 120 because I want my data separate which goes to 1TB spinners. And the reason for separating them is so that I wouldn't have to worry about my data if I am experimenting or needs to fix my PC when I encountered problems. Plus it's always faster to backup/image a system without the data (between 2 and 5 minutes).
    If I buy a 480GB for OS and programs alone, wow, I don't why I should do that. But it seems that you have your OS and data sharing a drive so good luck with that. Or maybe you have 480GB worth of programs alone. I don"t know.
    To sum it up, it's not most practical idea to keep all the eggs in one basket !!!
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    02 Mar 2015 #54
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Toronto
    Posts : 4,617
    Win 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
    Yea I'm not sure why a large ssd would be a problem if anyone can afford them go for it

    Buying is not an issue. But why you should buy one is another story. I can get 10 1TBs of SSDs if I have a good reason to get them.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    02 Mar 2015 #55
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,188
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post
    Buying is not an issue. But why you should buy one is another story. I can get 10 1TBs of SSDs if I have a good reason to get them.
    Must be nice being rich .....or to have good credit rating.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  6.    02 Mar 2015 #56
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Standish, Lancashire
    Posts : 5,907
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Anything less that 500GB is a waste of space, they fill far too quickly for me.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    02 Mar 2015 #57
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Serbia
    Posts : 10,188
    W10 Insider + Linux

    Murphy's 1st law of warehousing: "Whatever the space, it will be filled up".
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    02 Mar 2015 #58
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Cheshire, England
    Posts : 1,424
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by z3r010 View Post
    Anything less that 500GB is a waste of space, they fill far too quickly for me.
    I don't currently have an SSD in my home computer but regardless of HDD or SSD i could probably still get by with 120GB as i don't save anything on my desktop, it's all saved on my NAS box which is currently 6TB with 2 free slots.

    I just have OS and software installed on my HDD.
    I do have a 2nd HDD where i host Virtual Machines but that's by design rather than storage limitation.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    02 Mar 2015 #59
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    Cheshire, England
    Posts : 1,424
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Murphy's 1st law of warehousing: "Whatever the space, it will be filled up".
    Don't think my place has heard of this, unless storing air counts lol
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    02 Mar 2015 #60
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Standish, Lancashire
    Posts : 5,907
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    I used to use for storage but the lag waiting for them to spin up after being parked drove me nuts.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

 
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Two SSDs with Windows 8.1 and Build 10240. Upgrade path?
I have a dual boot system with two SSDs, with Windows 8.1 on one and Build 10240 on the other. At this stage I am confused by all the Microsoft posts about upgrading. Will I be able to upgrade to the new Build on the 29th on my Build 10240...
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved SSDs detected as CF?
I have 5 drives installed on my PC (1 HDD and 4 SSDs, the rest are just partitions). I am just wondering what does CF means on 2 of the SSDs. Does it stand for "compact flash"? How to fix this? Or should I just leave it alone? 6911
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums