Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1.    26 Feb 2015 #11
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 6
    Win 7 and Win 8

    I think more than a few people are getting tired of the way that big government will do things that seem to be a good idea at the time but always trickle down and hurt the citizens of these United States of America!

    Control, taxing and spending by the federal government are getting out of control.
    They seem to forget that it's a government of the people, by the people and for the people.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    26 Feb 2015 #12
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Everyone is acting like the internet and broadband hasn't already been controlled by the government... It has. You're already paying taxes on it.

    It's ridiculous to think that this is anything but good news for us, the people.

    Big Internet has spent a lot of money trying to convince people that hate big government that Net Neutrality is a bad thing, because it's good for them. It lowers their costs and raises yours, because it pushes the burden of paying for the internet on the consumer. The more you use, the higher your rates (and not just because you're using more, you actually pay a higher percentage for using more in their perfect world).

    The FCC is not creating a gigantic Obamacare style beaurocracy around this. It's just some rules that dictate that internet providers must treat everyone equally...
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    26 Feb 2015 #13
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Oak Ridge TN, USA
    Posts : 24,523
    Windows 10 Pro x64

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Everyone is acting like the internet and broadband hasn't already been controlled by the government... It has. You're already paying taxes on it.

    It's ridiculous to think that this is anything but good news for us, the people.

    Big Internet has spent a lot of money trying to convince people that hate big government that Net Neutrality is a bad thing, because it's good for them. It lowers their costs and raises yours, because it pushes the burden of paying for the internet on the consumer. The more you use, the higher your rates (and not just because you're using more, you actually pay a higher percentage for using more in their perfect world).

    The FCC is not creating a gigantic Obamacare style beaurocracy around this. It's just some rules that dictate that internet providers must treat everyone equally...
    But you forget that some people have to freak out about something when it comes to the government.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    26 Feb 2015 #14
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 114
    WIndows 10

    I would like to read the 323 pages of the law. I do have some questions though. Will the feds tax just the internet connection or will they tax every device connected? Will Wi-Fi still be free in public places?If the feds want everyone charged the same so how will that help users who only use e-mail and browse the internet? I believe net neutrality will be used to subsidize the big content companies like Google, Amazon and Netflix. I can't see anything good to come of this. The FCC made the law available to the public the day they announced the new law. More Obama transparency. I hope the lawsuits to follow will toss net neutrality out.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    26 Feb 2015 #15
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    Nashville, TN
    Posts : 3,143
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Looey View Post
    I would like to read the 323 pages of the law. I do have some questions though. Will the feds tax just the internet connection or will they tax every device connected? Will Wi-Fi still be free in public places?If the feds want everyone charged the same so how will that help users who only use e-mail and browse the internet? I believe net neutrality will be used to subsidize the big content companies like Google, Amazon and Netflix. I can't see anything good to come of this. The FCC made the law available to the public the day they announced the new law. More Obama transparency. I hope the lawsuits to follow will toss net neutrality out.
    That would be hard to do, since it's not a law. The FCC is a regulatory agency who has power to create rules, but they cannot create new laws.

    They ALREADY tax internet connections, so I don't understand why you are asking what they WILL do... They can't control how WiFi is used or charged for.. that's just not something the FCC has the power to do.

    You're wrong. Google and crew did NOT want net neutrality because that would ALLOW them to be subsidized, Net neutrality prevents it. You've basically got it completely backwards, and are concerned for the wrong things. But that's nothing new, as corporate spin doctors have been very good at convincing people that the opposite of what they want is true.

    What the rule says is that Internet, like land-line and Wireless Phone is now a Title II Common Carrier, and must follow the same rules. These rules work pretty well for phone service, and ensures everyone gets the same quality of service at a fair price. And there's plenty of competition as well.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    26 Feb 2015 #16
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Houston
    Posts : 2,374
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64

    Still to be seen what fair price is,
    The minimum speed they talk about is quite a bit faster than my meager plan now the next grade up is wildly more expensive for practically no faster just a larger number on the bill,
    I don't even want to get into the cell crap that is just flat out highway robbery

    Just for the record nothing is reasonable now why would it be after these rules :/
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    26 Feb 2015 #17
    Join Date : Oct 2014
    Posts : 114
    WIndows 10

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    That would be hard to do, since it's not a law. The FCC is a regulatory agency who has power to create rules, but they cannot create new laws.

    You have to be kidding me. The FCC is using the 1934 Communications Act to make their own laws. Congress makes the laws but the FCC is doing that now with a law written for use with radios and telegraph. - .... .. -. -.- .- -.- .- .. -.

    They ALREADY tax internet connections, so I don't understand why you are asking what they WILL do... They can't control how WiFi is used or charged for.. that's just not something the FCC has the power to do.

    That's odd because my Internet connection bill doesn't have the new telephone based taxes on it. The FCC is going to treat the Internet like the telephone system and add new taxes. The FCC has the power to do what ever they wish if net neutrality stays in effect. Those decisions belong in Congress. The FCC is not independent anymore. It is a partisan organization run by the Whitehouse. Don't you remember the Obama speech he gave about this subject last November? There is a current investigation into that going on now. Wi-Fi is not immune to being taxed. It is Internet traffic.

    You're wrong. Google and crew did NOT want net neutrality because that would ALLOW them to be subsidized, Net neutrality prevents it. You've basically got it completely backwards, and are concerned for the wrong things. But that's nothing new, as corporate spin doctors have been very good at convincing people that the opposite of what they want is true.

    Netflix has led the fight to get net neutrality approved. That is common knowledge. If Google has backed off from their early on talk on net neutrality good for them and thanks for telling me that. If you want to stream movies and shows into every house in the country wouldn't you need everyone's internet connection to be fairly large and common? What if you wanted to replace TV with your Internet service. U-verse uses that type of communication for TV. You'd want the FCC to standardize Internet connections. The FCC wants everyone paying the same for the same speeds. I know some 80 year old retirees who browse the internet and send a few e-mails. .- .-. . -.-- --- ..- - .... . ... .--. .. -. -.. --- -.-. - --- .-.

    What the rule says is that Internet, like land-line and Wireless Phone is now a Title II Common Carrier, and must follow the same rules. These rules work pretty well for phone service, and ensures everyone gets the same quality of service at a fair price. And there's plenty of competition as well.
    OK, explain to me how net neutrality is going to increase competition. Anyone is free to start up an ISP. New opportunities will dry up due to regulations. It is a joke the FCC isusing a 1934 telecommunications act as the reason to create their own laws. I know you said the FCC can't create laws but they are doing it.

    I'm through with this subject and don't want to argue with you. I can tell you are liberal and I am a conservative. I will agree to disagree with you and drop it at that. Thanks for the chat.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    26 Feb 2015 #18
    Join Date : Aug 2014
    Australia, Adelaide
    Posts : 1,569
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.2 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home (64 bit)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Everyone is acting like the internet and broadband hasn't already been controlled by the government... It has. You're already paying taxes on it.
    Agreed.

    The price of goods/services already includes the tax that the Corporations are supposed to pay.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    Big Internet has spent a lot of money trying to convince people that hate big government that Net Neutrality is a bad thing, because it's good for them. It lowers their costs and raises yours, because it pushes the burden of paying for the internet on the consumer. The more you use, the higher your rates (and not just because you're using more, you actually pay a higher percentage for using more in their perfect world).
    Exactly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    The FCC is not creating a gigantic Obamacare style beaurocracy around this. It's just some rules that dictate that internet providers must treat everyone equally...
    I've noticed that people who claim "the Government should not run anything", never agitate for the armed forces, CIA, FBI, NSA, etc. to be sold off to the Corporations.
    I wonder why.

    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyJ View Post
    But you forget that some people have to freak out about something when it comes to the government.
    This is why us "evil foreigners" laugh at the US.

    If the Government does something it's evil, but if a Corporation does the same thing (or worse) it's a "triumph of the free market".

    Quote Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
    Just for the record nothing is reasonable now why would it be after these rules :/
    It's not going to change the current situation.
    It is an attempt to stop it getting worse.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    26 Feb 2015 #19
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Houston
    Posts : 2,374
    3-Win-7Prox64 2-Win10Prox64

    Far as I can tell creating minimum speed standards will wipe out lower speed data plans,
    That in it's self will increase those people that use minimum speed plans,
    You can not increase speed without increasing price,
    Government does not understand that mostly because it makes all it's funds via taxes/ fee's and not selling goods.
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    26 Feb 2015 #20
    Join Date : Nov 2013
    Idaho USA
    Posts : 4,826
    OS X, Win 10

    Will less hope the politico type has left for good. . .don't need, and also not allowrd here on the 10s. Lets let the dust settle for a while then see what is going to happen. Also, remember only congress (U.S.) can pass bills that collect taxes and other monies not even the President has that ability (though some thought they did . . .).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Tom Wheeler makes history with full-on Net neutrality proposal
Source
Windows 10 News
Net Neutrality: Obama's Plan for a Free and Open Internet
Source: The White House
Windows 10 News
FCC pushes back against Obama on net neutrality
More
Windows 10 News
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:12.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums