Windows 10: FCC proposing monthly broadband subsidies for low-income households

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

  1. Posts : 1,542
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       12 Mar 2016 #41

    fracking4oil said: View Post
    Give me a company in my area that has reliable $9.25 broadband and I'll drop my $60 broadband right now.
    Do you have AT&T? They have it around $25.00 plus you pay around $100 dollar for the modem, prices and plan may not be available in all areas. I am not recommend At&t. It just might fit some people budgets. 150 to 250 gb data cap depending on whether it is dsl or universe. Caps may have increased since the last time I checked. There speed may be lower.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    12 Mar 2016 #42

    I have ATT (was Bell South) and pay around $35 per month including my phone bill. And I have my own modem. And that is in Florida. In Germany I pay 16 Euros per month. Normally appr. 23 Euros including the phone.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3.    12 Mar 2016 #43

    I live in a area where I'm very limited to access providers.
    1. Dial-up over old copper lines. (very slow and unreliable)
    2. My AT&T Mobile access. (limited to the amount of data I can use)
    3. Satellite. (Last time I look it was very expensive)
    4. Comcast (very fast and reliable. included with my Triple Play plan.
    I chose Comcast because it's the best option I have. I only use my AT&T data plan when I have to.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    12 Mar 2016 #44

    Many countries (in Europe anyway) see internet access as a human right. Both in Hungary and France I know from experience that you can get cheaper internet if your income is very low for whatever reason. In some other countries (Lithuania I think but I never lived there) it is free.

    I don't mean to start any political debate but it seems a nice idea to me.

    At the moment I pay €22 a month for unlimited fibre (including free VIOP phone and TV) which is OK for me. Seems it is really expensive in the US - I guess because it is so big and the infrastructure cost would be huge.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5.    12 Mar 2016 #45

    lx07 said: View Post
    Many countries (in Europe anyway) see internet access as a human right. Both in Hungary and France I know from experience that you can get cheaper internet if your income is very low for whatever reason. In some other countries (Lithuania I think but I never lived there) it is free.

    I don't mean to start any political debate but it seems a nice idea to me.

    At the moment I pay €22 a month for unlimited fibre (including free VIOP phone and TV) which is OK for me. Seems it is really expensive in the US - I guess because it is so big and the infrastructure cost would be huge.
    I think it's a great idea that more people will or should have access to the internet. Especially young people in school so they can advance their education and get a head in life. And given the services that are now available on the net it makes it easier for people to get things done.. gov paperwork etc.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6.    12 Mar 2016 #46

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    And given the services that are now available on the net it makes it easier for people to get things done.. gov paperwork etc.
    Exactly so Sir - I wish I could give you a thumbs up for that..

    Again I don't know about the US but here in Europe for many things (tax returns, residency permits) you are almost compelled to do on-line as turning up in person or sending a letter is at best impractical.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    12 Mar 2016 #47

    lx07 said: View Post
    Exactly so Sir - I wish I could give you a thumbs up for that..

    Again I don't know about the US but here in Europe for many things (tax returns, residency permits) you are almost compelled to do on-line as turning up in person or sending a letter is at best impractical.
    You can do tax returns.. SS,. Medicare.. and state things like licenses. It's really convenient to the option of having to go to each state office to get the work done.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8.    12 Mar 2016 #48

    BunnyJ said: View Post
    You can do tax returns.. SS,. Medicare.. and state things like licenses. It's really convenient to the option of having to go to each state office to get the work done.
    Well then (at the risk of sounding like a socialist) the poor, the disabled and aged (assuming they don't have enough money) should be given free internet.

    Probably against forum rules to suggest such a thing but if the state insists on such a thing then it should be paid for.

    My brother in law (who is unemployed) comes around only once a month so he can call the government to update his status as "still unemployed" as my phone is free for him.

    I think I'm going off on a tangent though - free internet for everyone would be good. Apparently Finland was the first country to do that - Internet in Finland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia @Kari might know if it is true.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9.    12 Mar 2016 #49

    lx07 said: View Post
    Well then (at the risk of sounding like a socialist) the poor, the disabled and aged (assuming they don't have enough money) should be given free internet.

    Probably against forum rules to suggest such a thing but if the state insists on such a thing then it should be paid for.

    My brother in law (who is unemployed) comes around only once a month so he can call the government to update his status as "still unemployed" as my phone is free for him.

    I think I'm going off on a tangent though - free internet for everyone would be good. Apparently Finland was the first country to do that - Internet in Finland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia @Kari might know if it is true.
    The states don't insist on this. It is a choice. I'm not sure about renewing drivers license online. I know to renew my drivers license I need at least one primary document, at least one secondary document, a verifiable Social Security number, proof of address and a occasional updated photo for my license. Not the same thing but the federal government does insist on direct deposit instead of mailing checks. I'm not sure if this includes tax refunds because I haven't had a tax refund in years.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 964
    dual boot W10 10586th2/14291 rs1 Win. Insider since Jan. 2015
       12 Mar 2016 #50

    whs said: View Post
    I have ATT (was Bell South) and pay around $35 per month including my phone bill. And I have my own modem. And that is in Florida. In Germany I pay 16 Euros per month. Normally appr. 23 Euros including the phone.
    I have ATT 18 Gbps FTTN VDSL U-Verse broadband ( Internet only ) on the left coast ,it's $64.00 a month including the ~$6 or $8.00 mo. RGW equipment fee and on FTTN VDSL U-Verse you can't usually buy your own Modem /RGW and if you do they charge you for it anyway and won't support it .

    The speeds vary depending on how many devices are being used but if I'm the only one on it can hit 17-18Gbps consistently or support 2 1080p YT, Netflix ,Vudu or Amazon video streams and a PC on it's own Wi Fi at the same time with the VRAD being nearby I have the 3801 RGW .

    OTOH with my new 4K Sony XBR HDR TV I'm thinking I Might need a bandwidth bump eventually when more 4K - 4K HDR content is out there .I'm not thinking Dish TV will be moving to 4K /4K HDR soon even though they have 4K Hopper STB's now and OTA........ fugget about it for a good while !

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	isp 03.07.2015 1710 hrs.PNG 
Views:	1 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	69126
    Last edited by blutos cousin; 12 Mar 2016 at 20:15.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Related Threads
On the first day of each month, Windows Action Centre sent me a reminder to back up my Win7 PC. Is that procedure now unnecessary on my Win10? I no longer get that reminder. PS I've always backed-up my files etc monthly in addition to the WAC...
Mobile broadband connection in Network and Sharing
Windows 10 Help says that I should have a Mobile connection link under Network and Internet, I don't. By luck I managed to connect my dongle because Windows saw it as a drive. I now need to be able to use the Mobile link in order to set my...
mobile broadband and windows 10 in Network and Sharing
hi, got the windows 10 update, and was having problems getting connected to the internet, so i uninstalled my mobile broadband program, and now dont know how to run the program again, because all that happens now is i get a notification in the...
Metered Broadband Thoughts in Network and Sharing
This does not apply to myself or I suspect many others of this forum having unlimited usage - but what would be the effect on Windows 10 Home users the bulk of whom have a standard low cost package. These often have quite limited monthly download...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:57.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums