Windows 10 Cumulative Updates Will Reset Default Apps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    28 Feb 2016 #1

    Windows 10 Cumulative Updates Will Reset Default Apps


    Microsoft has confirmed that the latest Windows 10 cumulative update, KB3135173, resets the default apps after installation, and it looks like future updates will do so to after deployment.
    And the company has a reason.
    It’s not because Redmond wants its programs to be used again by users — programs including the brand new Microsoft Edge web browser. Apparently, it all comes down to the fact that it spotted some third-party tools messing with the system.
    Source:
    Windows 10 Cumulative Updates Will Reset Default Apps - Windows 10 News and Updates
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    28 Feb 2016 #1

    It seems as Microsoft is in a war with the third party app makers who mess with settings, time for perhaps a third party tool that undoes what Microsoft has undone, and what everyone thought was a 'bug' really isn't it was done on purpose.

    I'm interested to see how all this plays out or whether to regain real control of our computers a new O.S. is needed, one thing I am certain of is that stealthy re-setting user made choices was certainly not high on the list of consumer feedback wants.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    28 Feb 2016 #2

    Strangely enough, when I installed the latest cumulative update yesterday (after restoring a recent image), none of my default app settings were changed at all, they remained as I had set them. So I'm not sure what to make of that....
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    28 Feb 2016 #3

    kerodo said: View Post
    Strangely enough, when I installed the latest cumulative update yesterday (after restoring a recent image), none of my default app settings were changed at all, they remained as I had set them. So I'm not sure what to make of that....
    From what I gather from the article it seems to target settings changed by third party apps, or at least third party apps that delete or alter registry settings
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    28 Feb 2016 #4

    zooburner said: View Post
    From what I gather from the article it seems to target settings changed by third party apps, or at least third party apps that delete or alter registry settings
    Ok, that makes more sense then. I have not yet used any 3rd party apps to change anything, so maybe that's why. Thanks...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6. lehnerus2000's Avatar
    Posts : 1,802
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.3 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home 1703 (64 bit), W10 Pro 1703 (64 bit) VM
       29 Feb 2016 #5

    What's next?

    Blocking all non-MS software?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    29 Feb 2016 #6

    lehnerus2000 said: View Post
    What's next?

    Blocking all non-MS software?
    It was done because some non Microsoft Apps changed the default in an incorrect or inappropriate way. Making it hard to switch the default to something else later on down the road. Bordering on malware. It's a fix to restore the original functionality so you can actually change the default to what you want. It's a lot easier to just reset them to the original default than second guess what apps you have installed or leave it broken. If you want to overreact go for it. If Microsoft was actually going to do what you propose, there wouldn't be an App Store full of non Microsoft apps would there?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    29 Feb 2016 #7

    WinZip users need the latest Version 20 to ensure things don't go apex over elbow with this cumulative update:
    Windows 10 - An app default was reset (older WinZip versions)

    I hear there are also similar issues with IrfanView but have no handy link for a fix.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9. lehnerus2000's Avatar
    Posts : 1,802
    W7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), LM 18.3 MATE (64 bit), W10 Home 1703 (64 bit), W10 Pro 1703 (64 bit) VM
       29 Feb 2016 #8

    Annoy Until Compliance


    alphanumeric said: View Post
    It was done because some non Microsoft Apps changed the default in an incorrect or inappropriate way. Making it hard to switch the default to something else later on down the road. Bordering on malware. It's a fix to restore the original functionality so you can actually change the default to what you want. It's a lot easier to just reset them to the original default than second guess what apps you have installed or leave it broken.
    That is what MS is claiming.

    If it is true, why isn't this forum overrun with 100s (if not 1000s) of users complaining about not being able to set defaults?

    alphanumeric said: View Post
    If you want to overreact go for it. If Microsoft was actually going to do what you propose, there wouldn't be an App Store full of non Microsoft apps would there?
    I was being facetious.

    If MS blocked non-MS Apps, "all Hell would break loose".

    MS is obviously using the "annoy users until they comply with our demands" strategy:
    • Deliberately re-issuing blocked GWX updates every month (W7)
    • Releasing GWX updates that are "accidentally" pre-selected (W7)
    • The entire operating principle of GWX
    • After every update, forcing (some) users to:
      • Check their privacy settings
      • Re-activate System Restore
      • Reset their chosen default programs


    A sure fire way of slowing the adoption of W10 is to annoy users constantly.
    IMO, part of the reason that:
    • Vista (UAC) and W8 (Metro) were flops, was because they were annoying (not because the OS didn't work)
    • W7 and XP were successes, was because they didn't annoy users


    JohnD said: View Post
    I hear there are also similar issues with IrfanView but have no handy link for a fix.
    IrfanView works OK on my W10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    29 Feb 2016 #9

    Just another thing to . . .. Really no big deal. . .:)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Browsers & Email Reset Microsoft Edge to Default in Windows 10 in Tutorials
How to Reset Microsoft Edge to Default in Windows 10 Microsoft Edge is a new web browser that will be available across the Windows 10 device family. It is fast, compatible, and built for the modern Web. This tutorial will show you how to...
Hi Everyone, I'm superlulu from France (sorry my English) I'm installing Windows 10 on new computer for my organization . I try to configurate one with fresh install (package of apps like Libreoffice, VLC, etc. for users) and custom desktop...
Has anyone else experienced default apps in windows 10 being automatically reset? It seems to dislike VLC and Irfanview and resets defaults to Microsoft apps.
Read more: Microsoft's Joe Belfiore Says Windows 10 Cumulative Updates Are Just What We Need - Softpedia
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:48.
Find Us