Windows 10: Upcoming Windows 10 Redstone builds to feature more Edge improvements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 29,288
    64-bit Windows 10 Pro build 17672
       15 Feb 2016 #1

    Upcoming Windows 10 Redstone builds to feature more Edge improvements


    Microsoft has finally started implementing new features in its latest internal Redstone builds, the first of which appear to focus on the company’s new Windows 10 browser, Edge. Microsoft is working to make Edge a viable alternative to other popular web browsers in Redstone, by introducing extensions and other much needed features.

    In the latest builds of Redstone, Edge now features a save download prompt, meaning Edge will no longer automatically save downloads when a download is being offered. This is a much requested feature which surprisingly is not present in the current public release of Edge, and to many considered a security issue as the browser simply downloads whatever a webpage is offering without the users consent.

    Microsoft is also working on implementing a number of new technologies behind the scenes as well, such as Web Notifications. In the latest internal builds, the flags area within Edge includes an option to enable Web Notifications, however it is unclear if these will actually be working by the time the next Insider drop is released...


    Read more: Upcoming Windows 10 Redstone builds to feature more Edge improvements WinBeta
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 5,074
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       15 Feb 2016 #1

    Can't wait to see that.
    I am still using IE11, waiting for some meaningful improvements on Edge before contemplating a switch.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 20,246
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       15 Feb 2016 #2

    Edge now features a save download prompt, meaning Edge will no longer automatically save downloads when a download is being offered.

    and to many considered a security issue as the browser simply downloads whatever a webpage is offering without the users consent.
    I might be misunderstanding what was written.

    But Edge has ben saving by default from the get-go, which I feel, is A LOT more secure, than running and .exe automatically. I can then scan the download before unpacking or running.

    Edge has also never downloaded anything without me clicking somethin first either

    Who is this Zac Bowden? Does he even use Win10?
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 2,626
    Windows 10x64 Home Version 1803 (Build 17134) .48
       15 Feb 2016 #3

    Cliff S said: View Post
    I might be misunderstanding what was written.

    But Edge has ben saving by default from the get-go, which I feel, is A LOT more secure, than running and .exe automatically. I can then scan the download before unpacking or running.

    Edge has also never downloaded anything without me clicking somethin first either

    Who is this Zac Bowden? Does he even use Win10?
    Same as you Cliff S
    Also it always ask if when I am on a web site and want to go to a link Edge always asks me if I am sure
    I press Allow once or Always
    That is what I also like
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    15 Feb 2016 #4

    hTconeM9user said: View Post
    Same as you Cliff S
    Also it always ask if when I am on a web site and want to go to a link Edge always asks me if I am sure
    I press Allow once or Always
    That is what I also like
    Is there a setting in Edge to turn this on or off? I never had Edge ask that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    15 Feb 2016 #5

    In my set up, Edge always asks whether I want to proceed with a download or to follow a link.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 20,246
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       15 Feb 2016 #6

    Rocky said: View Post
    In my set up, Edge always asks whether I want to proceed with a download or to follow a link.
    To follow a link I see that in Eight Forums but not here, and on only a few other sites so far(Thank the almighty Gibibyte! It nerves)
    I have the choice to Run or open folder(same as save and safer, as you can scan first)
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  8.    15 Feb 2016 #7

    Cliff S said: View Post
    To follow a link I see that in Eight Forums but not here, and on only a few other sites so far(Thank the almighty Gibibyte! It nerves)
    I have the choice to Run or open folder(same as save and safer, as you can scan first)

    I guess that it is site dependent as far as links go. But as far as saving or opening a file, it always asks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  •    15 Feb 2016 #8

    looking forward to this option

    hate having to go into downloads folder and delete things that have been auto downloaded

    as an example
    Buy an epub book, which use adobe DRM
    Click the link to download, this download is just a one off authorisation file, which then starts the book download
    Edge it saves this file then you click open to download the book
    other browsers, you just click open and it downloads the book, file is not saved as its not needed

    these are ascm file types
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  • Posts : 2,626
    Windows 10x64 Home Version 1803 (Build 17134) .48
       15 Feb 2016 #9

    Rocky said: View Post
    In my set up, Edge always asks whether I want to proceed with a download or to follow a link.
    Same and that is what I like
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  •  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Related Threads
    45906 Read more: http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-redstone-to-include-apple-continuity-like-feature-report-495575.shtml
    Read more: Latest Windows 10 builds feature new UI enhancements
    Source: Upcoming changes to Windows 10 Insider Preview builds UPDATE HERE: https://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-news/7306-upcoming-changes-windows-10-insider-preview-builds-updated-6-22-a.html How to Backup and Restore your Project Spartan...
    Here's a new version of this... Source (Mods feel free to move back if you don't think it deserves its own thread - but it's changed significantly from the last one , so I thought having it as post 1 of its own thread would be useful to...
    Read more: Windows 10: Search functionality updated in upcoming builds
    Our Sites
    Site Links
    About Us
    Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

    © Designer Media Ltd
    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27.
    Find Us