Windows 10: Windows 10 Needs a Better App Uninstaller, Users Claim

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

  1. Posts : 50
    Windows 10 Insider (fast ring)
       17 Feb 2015 #131

    caperjack said: View Post
    Winuser said: View Post
    enoch1138 said: View Post
    I've never found it difficult to uninstall anything.

    People are careless and click-happy during installation and it leads to issues.

    Microsoft can't fix stupid.
    Being click happy is not the only reason that people may want to uninstall a program.
    I think poster is making reference to people not being careful what else[like system optimisers and such ] might be getting installed along with the software they are installing ,because they just click and click till its installed .they reboot and then the fun starts .
    Correct
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 3,177
    insider build 10586.3 win10 pro 64
       17 Feb 2015 #132

    i also think there is 2 different conversation going on here about windows uninstaller .and whos at fault for a fugged up registry or computer ....
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    17 Feb 2015 #133

    enoch1138 said: View Post
    caperjack said: View Post
    Winuser said: View Post
    enoch1138 said: View Post
    I've never found it difficult to uninstall anything.

    People are careless and click-happy during installation and it leads to issues.

    Microsoft can't fix stupid.
    Being click happy is not the only reason that people may want to uninstall a program.
    I think poster is making reference to people not being careful what else[like system optimisers and such ] might be getting installed along with the software they are installing ,because they just click and click till its installed .they reboot and then the fun starts .
    Correct
    I stand corrected. I took it as a insult because I'm one of the ones that want a better uninstall program.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    17 Feb 2015 #134

    caperjack said: View Post
    i also think there is 2 different conversation going on here about windows uninstaller .and whos at fault for a fugged up registry or computer ....

    Yes there is but the two conversations are related. The current Windows uninstaller leaves behind registry items because they only call the app uninstaller. If registry items are left behind does it slow down the OS over time? (i.e. installing and uninstalling apps)
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 50
    Windows 10 Insider (fast ring)
       17 Feb 2015 #135

    Winuser said: View Post
    enoch1138 said: View Post
    caperjack said: View Post
    Winuser said: View Post
    enoch1138 said: View Post
    I've never found it difficult to uninstall anything.

    People are careless and click-happy during installation and it leads to issues.

    Microsoft can't fix stupid.
    Being click happy is not the only reason that people may want to uninstall a program.
    I think poster is making reference to people not being careful what else[like system optimisers and such ] might be getting installed along with the software they are installing ,because they just click and click till its installed .they reboot and then the fun starts .
    Correct
    I stand corrected. I took it as a insult because I'm one of the ones that want a better uninstall program.
    No insult intended
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    18 Feb 2015 #136

    enoch1138 said: View Post
    winuser said: View Post
    enoch1138 said: View Post
    caperjack said: View Post
    winuser said: View Post
    enoch1138 said: View Post
    i've never found it difficult to uninstall anything.

    People are careless and click-happy during installation and it leads to issues.

    Microsoft can't fix stupid.
    being click happy is not the only reason that people may want to uninstall a program.
    i think poster is making reference to people not being careful what else[like system optimisers and such ] might be getting installed along with the software they are installing ,because they just click and click till its installed .they reboot and then the fun starts .
    correct
    i stand corrected. I took it as a insult because i'm one of the ones that want a better uninstall program.
    no insult intended
    No problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 804
    10 Pro Preview x64
       18 Feb 2015 #137

    Slugger said: View Post
    The current Windows uninstaller leaves behind registry items because they only call the app uninstaller.
    What else can it do? When a program is installed it can save data where ever it wants (that is is authorised to). It is up to the developer to tidy up in their uninstaller in so far as they can (they can't delete from other users %appdata% or their user specific configuration in the registry as they aren't authorised). So An uninstall is only thorough if the user performing it is the only one that used the software.

    So what could an uninstaller do?

    Take a snapshot before and after installing a program? Doesn't help with per-user configuration files created later or authority. Possible false positives if any other process was running at install time (which would obviously be the case).

    Monitor the process during install and log it? Again doesn't help with user configuration files.

    Run continuously watching what all programs do? Apart from the overhead, how can a program tell if a file created by some application is left over crap or something beneficial? If you uninstall a ftp client you don't want to delete the things you downloaded with it.

    What about dependancies? If some Visual C++ Redistributable was brought in by the installer should it be uninstalled or not?

    Windows is unfairly maligned in this regard because of the scary "registry" word. I don't know about Linux but presumably the users configuration files in their home folder remain after a program is uninstalled. OSX in my experience is much worse than Windows when it comes to leaving stuff behind. Most programs make no effort at all to delete things from outside of the application bundle leaving all sorts of detritus behind that has to be cleaned manually (unless you trust a 3rd party cleaner to have a stab at it).

    Slugger said: View Post
    If registry items are left behind does it slow down the OS over time? (i.e. installing and uninstalling apps)
    Not according to Mark Russinovith, no. It is quite an interesting read.

    No, even if the registry was massively bloated there would be little impact on the performance of anything other than exhaustive searches.
    Registry Junk: A Windows Fact of Life - Mark's Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    18 Feb 2015 #138

    Doing at least something about it is certainly better than nothing ( normal windows uninstall), I have seen many MBs of data left on disks after such sloppy uninstalls. Revo and such are at least getting rid of most of the garbage and there's nothing stopping MS to do at least that much.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 1,546
    W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
       18 Feb 2015 #139

    If the product is using windows installers and uninstallers wouldn't that mean the leftovers if any are caused by the windows uninstallers or would it still be the program itself?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    18 Feb 2015 #140

    groze said: View Post
    If the product is using windows installers and uninstallers wouldn't that mean the leftovers if any are caused by the windows uninstallers or would it still be the program itself?
    By the programs themselves, if they do not uninstall cleanly (very few do).
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Related Threads
Source
http://images.techhive.com/images/idge/imported/imageapi/2014/07/09/13/slide_063014-windows9-1-100355294-primary.idge.jpg The Windows 9 public preview coming at the end of the month is going to ask for feedback almost to the point of...
Alert Windows 8.1 users. in General Support
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2153712/windows-8-1-update-requirement-pushed-to-june-10.html
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:18.
Find Us